• Davie Hay (Livingston) + Young Assistant
    • Stephen Craigan (Motherwell) - Player/Manager
    • Jim Jeffries (Kilmarnock)
    • Derek Adams (Ross Country)
    • Luc Nijholt (None)
    • Terry Butcher + Maurice Malpas (ICT)
    • A.N. Other

Gary as manager and luc as number 2

Surely we need to get a manager who not only wants to do well in the short term, but also a manager who wants to develop and bring through our youth. I was never convinced McGhee was bothered about that side of things, i.e. last game of season playing the old guard.

p.s. please lets look beyond the old sfa guard, i.e. brown, duffy & co. As for wee tommy, football has moved on and im not so sure our poor wee lambs (players) could cope or put up with his tantrums and bullying.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nijholt has already said that the Youth at Motherwell would be very important in any decision he makes regarding applying/taking the job here so I think we would be onto a winner with him being involved. Would he be willing to be number 2 to someone though at Motherwell?

Is it any wonder the board can't seem to get anything right in the eyes of the fans when we have this kind of nonsense. You've dismissed two proven managers in the SPL both with European experience, and extolled the virtues of 4 relative novices.

Didn't make any pretence that there was logic behind my choices :D . I just don't trust/like Calderwood, and don't particularly like the way Jefferies' teams play. From what I hear of Gannon and know of the other three, I would imagine their teams would play good football. I think another reason many are pushing Nijholt is his track record with young players. Because that's where a lot of our squad is going to have to come from.

And anyway, how can it be nonsense to state a preference? I'm not saying John Boyle has to take on board what I say. It's just an opinion, mind...

Nijholt has already said that the Youth at Motherwell would be very important in any decision he makes regarding applying/taking the job here so I think we would be onto a winner with him being involved. Would he be willing to be number 2 to someone though at Motherwell?

Beat me by about 2 seconds on that one. I don't reckon Nijholt would come to be assistant but if he were willing the Gary Mac/Nijholt combo touted by Orinoco would be very tempting. Not much recent experience of Scottish football would be my only concern...

Nothin mate but i'l take bets :D

Nijholt 8/11

McCart 2/1

McCallister 9/4

Gannon 8/1

Jimmy Calderwood 10/1

Byrne 12/1

Butcher 16/1

McCoist 33/1

Craigan 50/1

Adams 66/1

Sir Alex Ferguson 1000/1

Fabio Capello 1000/1

Jose Murhino 1000/1

Malpas 5000/1

ME 5000/1

Odds subject to change and others available on request!!! ;)

:D only thing is I would imagine you would be much shorter odds to take over the job than Malpas!!

Didn't make any pretence that there was logic behind my choices :D . I just don't trust/like Calderwood, and don't particularly like the way Jefferies' teams play. From what I hear of Gannon and know of the other three, I would imagine their teams would play good football. I think another reason many are pushing Nijholt is his track record with young players. Because that's where a lot of our squad is going to have to come from.

And anyway, how can it be nonsense to state a preference? I'm not saying John Boyle has to take on board what I say. It's just an opinion, mind...

There are far too many people on here who'd be willing to accept inexperience as long as the person had a Motherwell background. In my opinion we need an experienced hand on the tiller to take us forward. This isn't fantasy football, it's the real thing. You are only 'imagining' that their teams would play good football but you cant appoint people on that basis. If one of the reasons for appointing Nijholt is his track record with young players then he would lose out again due to the fact that McCart has a better track record and has actually worked with the youth at Fir Park, so he'd be a better choice, but I still wouldn't want him, because of his lack of managerial experience.

To be frank we should be looking at the likes of Jeffries and Calderwood before anyone else.

There are far too many people on here who'd be willing to accept inexperience as long as the person had a Motherwell background. In my opinion we need an experienced hand on the tiller to take us forward. This isn't fantasy football, it's the real thing. You are only 'imagining' that their teams would play good football but you cant appoint people on that basis. If one of the reasons for appointing Nijholt is his track record with young players then he would lose out again due to the fact that McCart has a better track record and has actually worked with the youth at Fir Park, so he'd be a better choice, but I still wouldn't want him, because of his lack of managerial experience.

To be frank we should be looking at the likes of Jeffries and Calderwood before anyone else.

Why is this guy even gettin a mention!!! He has experience of signing cronies and delivering pish football. He almost got relegated with Kilmarnock and there players are better than that. Plus he is just a fud!!!!!! I will cry if he gets anywhere near fir park. Please JB NO NO NO NO NO !!!!!!!!!!

McLean almost got us relegated. Butcher almost got us relegated.

Mowbray got WBA relegated and he's ready to take the Celtic job.

I'm not saying I want Jeffries (I don't), but anybody that takes an SPL job outside the OF is going to battle relegation once in a while.

McLean almost got us relegated. Butcher almost got us relegated.

Mowbray got WBA relegated and he's ready to take the Celtic job.

I'm not saying I want Jeffries (I don't), but anybody that takes an SPL job outside the OF is going to battle relegation once in a while.

I understand your point but Kilmarnock aren't anywhere near the worst team in the league. When Butcher finished bottom with us we clearly were the worst team. However, i Think we beat the entire top six that year and nobody in the bottom. That summed us up. And Mowbray was 3rd choice for Celtic and if I were a Celtic fan(thank god am no tho) a would be less than delighted by Mowbray's appointment. Mind you they want a guy that will draw 3-3 every week than a man that will win 1-0 every week.

We need the RIGHT man, experience as a manager isnt the most important thing,no previous managerial experience didnt/hasnt hampered the likes of Roberto Di Matteo,

Roberto Martinez,Darren Ferguson,John Hughes etc, Boyle needs to look + weigh up the pros+cons

what we need is someone with the following assets -

1.ability to develop youngsters, the lifeblood of our club

2.ability to mould a tough to beat team weather that be good defensively or offensively

3.ability to work to tight budgets

4.ability to bring in good players quickly as our season starts in less than 3 weeks

(contacts/knowledge that actually produces results instead of 2 years of blethering)

5.mental toughness

6.able to whet the apetite of the fans (more season books,tickets,merch sold is better for club)

7.out of work meaning no compo payments

to me, I personally say Luc Nijholt + Jim Gannon would be the outstanding candidates

with Jimmy Calderwood a good outsider

That's the bit about Nijholt that intrigues me the most - the youth factor. Let's face it, it's the way ANY manager stepping into the Motherwell job will have to go and Nijholt seems to have no qualms about it and the experience in nurturing youngsters. Gary Mac seems to want a budget to buy, buy, buy - would have been perfect back in Boyle's early days but not now.

MacAllister: Great player, fantastic achievements... Gash managerial record!!

Personally I'd be really happy with a Billy Davies, Darren Ferguson or a Luc Nijholt. I think Nijholt has served his apprentice if you like and is ready to make that step back across the water and keep us going on the steady playing field that McGhee has put us on plus a bit of Dutch Total Football is something we have shown signs of when going forward, well more last year than this!

But are we turning into a like for like with the Celtic fans... "We want someone who is Motherwell minded" ??

do you watch much of the spl? calderwood has had a far larger budget at aberdeen than he would have at motherwell and in his time there signed plenty of duds - dan smith, tommy wright, jeffrey de vischer to name a recent few - and constantly changes the team and played players out of posistion. he also hangs the players to dry after every defeat. kilmarnock under jefferies are a near enough unwatchable land of the giants kick and rush mob who had about 40 yellow cards more than any other team in the spl this season, nae fair play league with him in charge. and like calderwood he's a terrible loser.

MacAllister: Great player, fantastic achievements... Gash managerial record!!

Personally I'd be really happy with a Billy Davies, Darren Ferguson or a Luc Nijholt. I think Nijholt has served his apprentice if you like and is ready to make that step back across the water and keep us going on the steady playing field that McGhee has put us on plus a bit of Dutch Total Football is something we have shown signs of when going forward, well more last year than this!

But are we turning into a like for like with the Celtic fans... "We want someone who is Motherwell minded" ??

You must be living in dream land if you think we have the ability to take a manager from a team who will be playing championship football next season?

And Billy Davies???? Why?? Yeah, he mighta been inexperianced in his spell with us as manager but my god, with that money he had, and the wages he was allowed to spend a week was unreal. And what did we get out it? Pushing for Europe in one season?

Wouldn't have the man back near the club. No point in going backwards. Onwards and upwards.

You must be living in dream land if you think we have the ability to take a manager from a team who will be playing championship football next season?

And Billy Davies???? Why?? Yeah, he mighta been inexperianced in his spell with us as manager but my god, with that money he had, and the wages he was allowed to spend a week was unreal. And what did we get out it? Pushing for Europe in one season?

Wouldn't have the man back near the club. No point in going backwards. Onwards and upwards.

As a manager would you rather be in the Championship as a newly promoted team battling to put points on the board to stay bawhairs length away from League One again or add European football on your CV, maybe even another European qualifiaction and potentially he would have a better crack at trophies!

Billy Davies started here, got punted here and hes went away and hes got ability... fair does he was on money that we cant offer but not many clubs down south want him at the moment. comes back up here to a club where he personally may see it as a comfort zone for him and get his name back out that Mark McGhee style, money will be no option!

Just because the talk of someone whose been manager at the club coming back who in his defence is much better and wiser doesn't exactly mean goin backwards or sideyways!

Apart from Malpas, in my life span the club has always surprised me by it's choices.

Tommy McLean was gaffer when i enjoyed my first game.

McLeish was a mega surprise, an experienced coach would have done wonders as Celtic were on there Knee's and it was us and Hibs challenging Rangers. Didn't we knock back European cup winner GUUS HIDDINK???

Andy Watson was offered job but turned it down, as he wanted to join big "ECK" at Hibernian.

Harri Kampman was a sure fire surprise. As was Billy Davies.

Don't think much of us fancied Eric Black as gaffer.

Terry done amazing in such circumstances the club were in.

Malpas was Shite, but think we all expected him to get the job.

McGhee was a good choice, nice to get experince in. The club rescued him from the wilderness. and he always made it clear he wanted bigger and better things.

Leitch "APPARENTLY" was offered job but thankfully he rejected.

I'm sure the new appointment will be another surprise!!!

Would not be to surprised if we go down the line of Chris Sutton or something.

Getting someone with 'Well at heart would be a nice change.

Jim Gannon remains the outstanding name mentioned so far, probably the only one that has shown he has the capacity to emulate what McGhee acheived here, and his side played good, passing football too that will take forward McGhee's coaching legacy. But I think it's a long shot to expect us to get him while he is at the top of his market value. Jimmy Calderwood seems to be the best of the SPL candidates.

McAllister and the other Calderwood are probably on a par, but I think they would be fairly decent bets to keep us away from relegation trouble.

It's good news that McAllister is now interested in the job when he was pretty scathing last time round. That obviously reflects his experience at Leeds, but I don't think that was as bad as some have claimed, play-offs games are always a lottery and but for that he would now be riding high. Certainly Simon Grayson has done no better at Leeds since.

Someone of McAllister's high profile putting himself forward will raise the level of competition for the job and may even influence other names out there.

I think we can rule out anyone who is currently employed as I really dont see us being able to pay compensation for a manager.

Also, us being in Europe isn't going to entice someone away from a championship gig where they'll be getting paid a lot more than we can afford, and will actually have a transfer budget!

Billy Davies started here, got punted here and hes went away and hes got ability... fair does he was on money that we cant offer but not many clubs down south want him at the moment. comes back up here to a club where he personally may see it as a comfort zone for him and get his name back out that Mark McGhee style, money will be no option!

Just because the talk of someone whose been manager at the club coming back who in his defence is much better and wiser doesn't exactly mean goin backwards or sideyways!

He's already got a job though, and a fairly big one http://www.nottinghamforest.co.uk/page/Who...1501753,00.html

Hello,

I'll make a shout for John Collins, he is available now and likes to play attractive, attacking football. He could also make use of some of the boys coming through, like he did at Hibs, especially if the Sultana money goes AWOL.

I wouldn't mind Nijholt, however I would take Collins first.

Well Well Suprawell

I think we can rule out anyone who is currently employed as I really dont see us being able to pay compensation for a manager.

We'd probably be able to pay as I doubt we'll bring in anyone that would cost more than we earned from McGhee however I don't think we will. We never have under Boyle so far so I don't see why we would now with Setanta and policing uncertainties.