• Derek Adams (Ross Country)
    • Luc Nijholt (None)
    • Terry Butcher + Maurice Malpas (ICT)
    • A.N. Other

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Experience counts for nothing if they were shite at their job though.

Exactly - Craig Brown - Preston - Failure

Gary McAllister - Leeds - Failure

Jim Jeffries - Kilmarnock - Failure

All experienced coaches who have failed. Thats why the first two do not have jobs. Experience isn't the always the ansewer. Look at Barcelona, and b4 someone points out that he got promoted from th B team i know but that is the B team hardly experience to give him one of the biggest managerial jobs on the planet. Vialli and Gullit were reasonably successful at Chelsea and were inexperienced. Inexperience doesn't always mean that you are doomed.

However, I do agree that Gannon and Calderwood should be sounded out. If we can't afford them they say no what will we lose. As the saying goes 'you don't ask you don't get' .

Jeffries has done no worse than mediocre at Killie. given constraints can probably at least make a case for good job.

And McAllister at Leeds record wasn't that bad, just a very sticky patch of form that with Leeds ambitions they didn't have patience to see if he could turn it around. Still not a great entry on the CV but maybe not as bad as first glance suggests.

I have been voting for big Luc in the last 12 polls as I feel he will be different and fresh - just what we/SPL is after. HOWEVER, Laurie Sanchez, if seriously interested (and by the sounds of it for not much cash) should be offered the job tommorow morning. We will NEVER get such a high profile 'name' interested in our humble wee club ever again. If his 'modest' wages are still a bit high we could go for Stephen Craigan as his assistant/player as they have a good working relationship and it would save most of an assistant's wage.

Just think about the contacts a guy who has worked in the Premiership and at International Level could have. Additionally it would get us TONS of media exposure (although not always a good thing - see McGhee however perhaps Sanches is already known enough he will stop short at the extremes McGhee went to whore himself about)

Another option would be to get Luc in as AM. He wants the job desperately so he might come in with a view to taking over when Sanchez gets us into the Champions League and moves on!!!

I have been voting for big Luc in the last 12 polls as I feel he will be different and fresh - just what we/SPL is after. HOWEVER, Laurie Sanchez, if seriously interested (and by the sounds of it for not much cash) should be offered the job tommorow morning. We will NEVER get such a high profile 'name' interested in our humble wee club ever again. If his 'modest' wages are still a bit high we could go for Stephen Craigan as his assistant/player as they have a good working relationship and it would save most of an assistant's wage.

Just think about the contacts a guy who has worked in the Premiership and at International Level could have. Additionally it would get us TONS of media exposure (although not always a good thing - see McGhee however perhaps Sanches is already known enough he will stop short at the extremes McGhee went to whore himself about)

Another option would be to get Luc in as AM. He wants the job desperately so he might come in with a view to taking over when Sanchez gets us into the Champions League and moves on!!!

Have to agree with most if not all of that, There is something exciting about Nijholt if he were to get the job, anyone who is part of a team that wins the Eredivisie by 11 points and 11 goals has to bring something to our club

:whistling:

Look up AZ Alkmaar. Looking them up will also show you why Nijholt was named manager of Telstar, and why he was rather successful there.

I have posted the stats here before, and I would dispute 'rather successful' based on league positions at least.

First year - 16th

Second year - 10th

Third Year - 14th

And never managed to get them into any playoffs (which is a lot easier in the Dutch second division if you read how it is structured; they play 6 game mini-leagues).

Given this is a 20 team league, this is approximately equivalent to finishing 10th, 6th and 8th in the SPL. Given the outcry when we finished 7th this season, can you imagine the moaning if 6th was our best finish in the next 3 years? And all this was in the second division too.

Calderwood was on more money at Aberdeen than Mcghee so donn't think we could affrod him.

Jeffries would take more compensation money than we got off Aberdeen so couldn't afford him.

Gannon someone on the boards said he was on double the money at Stockport than Mcgee was on at us so cannot afford him.

Sanchez a supporter from Fulham say we shouldn't touch him, i'll go with that.

Like it or not we wont be able to come up with the money for the experienced manager.

Seriously? I can't believe that I've lived in South Manchester for 14 years and can't remember a time when there wasn't talk of Stockport going bust.

Gannon got sacked because the club almost went bust and he hasn't had a job since, any wage is better than no wage at all in my book.

I have posted the stats here before, and I would dispute 'rather successful' based on league positions at least.

First year - 16th

Second year - 10th

Third Year - 14th

And never managed to get them into any playoffs (which is a lot easier in the Dutch second division if you read how it is structured; they play 6 game mini-leagues).

Given this is a 20 team league, this is approximately equivalent to finishing 10th, 6th and 8th in the SPL. Given the outcry when we finished 7th this season, can you imagine the moaning if 6th was our best finish in the next 3 years? And all this was in the second division too.

How much do you know of Telstar? Do you know they are basically a B Team of AZ? Under Nijholt their average age was something like 20.

Put it into context, Guardiola got the job at Barca after failing to have Barcelona B promoted form the Segunda Division B (tbf, which is probably still a better quality than our Lower First Division! )

During Luc's reign at Telstar he had a 33% winning percentage record...in the same timeframe we had a 36%.

Its impossible to compare teams and leagues and stats. Theres more to it than that.

Owen Coyle never got St Johnstone promoted in a fairly poor league. Yet managed to get a small side in Burnley to the Premiership. John Hughes almost got Falkirk relegated, yet is sitting in the managers chair at hibs now. Paul Le Guen created Lyon into a european force...and ended up moulding Rangers into a european laughing stalk.

Theres no black and white. I believe Nijholt done 'ok' for a club the size of Telstar. I believe McAllister didnt do enough with a club like Leeds. I think most Fulham fans agree that Sanchez was just plain awful at Fulham. But put them into the Motherwell job and it could go either way for all three. I like Luc, he's a Motherwell man, i'd like to try something a wee bit different and thats why he gets my vote. As i said earlier, if McAllister or Calderwood, god even Chisholm then they'll get my backing. Its a very hard group to choose the ideal manager from.

:whistling:

Look up AZ Alkmaar. Looking them up will also show you why Nijholt was named manager of Telstar, and why he was rather successful there.

You and I obviously have different definitions of the word successful, I tend to go along with the Oxford English Dictionary on these things.

:doh: You've burst nobody's bubble. You would think discrediting him throughout various threads should be enough...

Gary himself revealed where his loyalties lie in an issue some seasons ago of either (I'm sure one of our resident stattos will concur) Waiting for the great leap forward or One Step Beyond.

Having known various members of his family and spoken to the man himself on occassion, I've never been under the impression he is anything other than Motherwell through and through.

I recall Gary saying in an interview that his hero at Fir Park was Vic Davidson, hence the reason Gary liked to wear the number 10 shirt.

Also, that would be an article I wrote in GLF where Gary sent a signed note to me confirming that he is a Well fan and not a closet h*n. Still got it somewhere in the house.

I'd still prefer Luc Nijholt though!

You and I obviously have different definitions of the word successful, I tend to go along with the Oxford English Dictionary on these things.

For some teams success is winning a championship, for others it is league survival and staying afloat. Bringing on young players and selling them on for enough dosh to keep us afloat has to be considered success for us by any definition, OED be damned.

I'm seriously interested what criteria are being used by Luc's supporters that make him favourite.

He'll terminate us if we don't.

For what it's worth, I wasn't in the Luc camp at all at the start of this. I'm not even being swayed by the fact he is a former player - though, obviously it means he isn't entirely an unknown quantity for us.

By all accounts Sanchez leaves me with mixed views. Had a fair amount of dough to spend at Fulham, blew it all and they were utter shite. Had a good time at N.I with the famous results, all time high world ranking. With Wycombe done OK, kept them ticking over without doing anything in the league(Semi of the FA Cup excluding) and the got the boot when they made a rotten start to the season(they went down that season). So he has done fantastic with an International side, but his club mangement record is very iffy. A brilliant candidate? :doh:

I recall Gary saying in an interview that his hero at Fir Park was Vic Davidson, hence the reason Gary liked to wear the number 10 shirt.

Also, that would be an article I wrote in GLF where Gary sent a signed note to me confirming that he is a Well fan and not a closet h*n. Still got it somewhere in the house.

Wonders of modern technology and that... get it fired up my good man, that'll get The Lips' dander up.

Guest 'Flow
Who was the English plonker who went to Holland to coach and suddenly developed a Ducth accent for interviews in English? McLaren? That was hilarity of the highest order right there.

:lol::doh::lol:

Fantashtic.....

'Flow