• Craig Brown (None) + Young Assistant
    • Davie Hay (Livingston) + Young Assistant
    • Stephen Craigan (Motherwell) - Player/Manager
    • Jim Jeffries (Kilmarnock)
    • Derek Adams (Ross Country)
    • Luc Nijholt (None)
    • Terry Butcher + Maurice Malpas (ICT)
    • A.N. Other

During Luc's reign at Telstar he had a 33% winning percentage record...in the same timeframe we had a 36%.

Its impossible to compare teams and leagues and stats. Theres more to it than that.

Owen Coyle never got St Johnstone promoted in a fairly poor league. Yet managed to get a small side in Burnley to the Premiership. John Hughes almost got Falkirk relegated, yet is sitting in the managers chair at hibs now. Paul Le Guen created Lyon into a european force...and ended up moulding Rangers into a european laughing stalk.

Theres no black and white. I believe Nijholt done 'ok' for a club the size of Telstar. I believe McAllister didnt do enough with a club like Leeds. I think most Fulham fans agree that Sanchez was just plain awful at Fulham. But put them into the Motherwell job and it could go either way for all three. I like Luc, he's a Motherwell man, i'd like to try something a wee bit different and thats why he gets my vote. As i said earlier, if McAllister or Calderwood, god even Chisholm then they'll get my backing. Its a very hard group to choose the ideal manager from.

It's a very queer way you have of looking at things, John Hughes "almost" got Falkirk relegated. Why not tell us what John Hughes actually DID, rather than what he didn't do. John Hughes kept an almost penniless Falkirk side in the SPL, John Hughes took Falkirk to a Scottish Cup Final, John Hughes took Falkirk into Europe for the first time in their history.

Sanchez signed Stefanovic, Healy, Murphy, Konchesky, Camara, and Davis for Fulham. He got 24 games before they sacked him, losing half of them, but it was the fact that he drew another 8 that lost him the job they went 6 games undefeated but every game was a draw including a 0-0 at Chelsea and two 3-3's at home to Man City and Spurs respectively. Take a look at the Fulham side that played the last game of last season and 5 of the squad were signed by Sanchez. It's easy enough to look at stats and reach an opinion but try looking behind the stats for once. Everybody remembers Roy essandoh scoring the winner against Leicester but does anybody remember what happened when Wycombe played Liverpool in the semi-final. Wycombe more than held their own in that semi-final and on a couple of occasions looked the better side, Houlier who had rested Gerrard, Heskey, and Murphy ended up bringing all three on and it wasn't until the last 10 minutes that they made the breakthrough, and even at thatwhen 2-0 down with 2 minutes to go Wycombe managed to pull one back and scare the crap out of them. Stick that along side his wins over England and Spain in qualifiers, not friendlies, as N Ireland manager and I think we have somebody who knows what he's on about. Oh yes, Luc did nothing for Telstar, if anything they went backwards under him, if I'm reading the stats corectly that is.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sanchez signed Stefanovic, Healy, Murphy, Konchesky, Camara, and Davis for Fulham. He got 24 games before they sacked him, losing half of them, but it was the fact that he drew another 8 that lost him the job they went 6 games undefeated but every game was a draw including a 0-0 at Chelsea and two 3-3's at home to Man City and Spurs respectively. Take a look at the Fulham side that played the last game of last season and 5 of the squad were signed by Sanchez. It's easy enough to look at stats and reach an opinion but try looking behind the stats for once. Everybody remembers Roy essandoh scoring the winner against Leicester but does anybody remember what happened when Wycombe played Liverpool in the semi-final. Wycombe more than held their own in that semi-final and on a couple of occasions looked the better side, Houlier who had rested Gerrard, Heskey, and Murphy ended up bringing all three on and it wasn't until the last 10 minutes that they made the breakthrough, and even at thatwhen 2-0 down with 2 minutes to go Wycombe managed to pull one back and scare the crap out of them. Stick that along side his wins over England and Spain in qualifiers, not friendlies, as N Ireland manager and I think we have somebody who knows what he's on about. Oh yes, Luc did nothing for Telstar, if anything they went backwards under him, if I'm reading the stats corectly that is.

...Aaaand, breath.

Too long and messy. Did not read.

For some teams success is winning a championship, for others it is league survival and staying afloat. Bringing on young players and selling them on for enough dosh to keep us afloat has to be considered success for us by any definition, OED be damned.

I'm well aware what success is for Motherwell but we were talking about Telstar who got to the play off's before Luc arrived and ended up in 14th place by the time he left.

It's a very queer way you have of looking at things, John Hughes "almost" got Falkirk relegated. Why not tell us what John Hughes actually DID, rather than what he didn't do. John Hughes kept an almost penniless Falkirk side in the SPL, John Hughes took Falkirk to a Scottish Cup Final, John Hughes took Falkirk into Europe for the first time in their history.

Is that the penniless Falkirk that had the largest budget out of all clubs placed 8th and below? The same Falkirk that have been dancing in the black for the last few years? What he did was use that budget to sign Lovell, McBride, Bullen then went and demanded more money so they could sign Elvis... if it wasn't for Eddie May and his eye for a youngster they would be fucked right now.

weeyin, for Telstar under Luc you need to see all the under 23's at AZ. That is Luc's legacy for AZ and Telstar.

I reckon Sanchez' record looks better since he did a decent job with NI, but that was pretty much on the back of Healy's goals. He'd probably get the team up for a few games, but can't see him actually taking us anywhere. He'd do no better than a Jeffries, or a Williamson...he may be a big name, but he's in that same mould: dull, uninspiring, semi-effective, non-progressive. His Fulham team was utter gash...look at what a good manager does with pretty much the same squad.

I reckon Sanchez' record looks better since he did a decent job with NI, but that was pretty much on the back of Healy's goals.

Tbf that was the same Healy that couldn't score in a brothel for Northern Ireland before Sanchez. Did they not go a ridiculous length of time without scoring a single goal?

Tbf that was the same Healy that couldn't score in a brothel for Northern Ireland before Sanchez. Did they not go a ridiculous length of time without scoring a single goal?

True, I remember said scoring drought! Healy, despite his NI goals, does appear to be shite, can't understand why teams keep spending money on him to sit on the bench. :doh:

Gary Mac was a Man Utd fan at school but Motherwell were his Scottish team if anything. He always played rather than went to watch, was a dab hand at gowf, Table Tennis tae and could have turned pro at one of those if fitba' wisnae gonnae work for him. Never a Rangers fan at any time, funny how things get distorted through time (and tenuous links through transfer rumours)

Gary Mac was a Man Utd fan at school but Motherwell were his Scottish team if anything. He always played rather than went to watch, was a dab hand at gowf, Table Tennis tae and could have turned pro at one of those if fitba' wisnae gonnae work for him. Never a Rangers fan at any time, funny how things get distorted through time (and tenuous links through transfer rumours)

Seems a really nice guy, but his Leeds connections turned me against him. However, I'm now back on message with that revelation, calfster. :lol:

And then there was the post on here about him being Lenny Bennet's doppelganger, which had me laughing out loud :doh:

With our finances don't think we will be in a position to go out and buy players therefore surely the manager with the best record at bringing on the youngsters must be appointed.

The stats seem to suggest that Luc did no worse than what we did. If he can bring on the youngsters as he appears to have done or as suggested in some of the previous posts then .... In Luc Nijholt I trust

I would question why sanchez has been out of the game for so long. If he was any good surely as he is a name with international experience etc then someone in England championship or even 1st div would go get him. Particularly as he did over england.

Why has no one went for him since with premiership and international experience?

As a youngster surely luc gets you wanting to play, with his record of sorting out youth systems it would give the youngsters faith that if they are good enough they will progress and get games. Conversly sanchez hasn't done that well as a club manager compared to internationals where a side is effectivly already being coached at there own club.

I would question why sanchez has been out of the game for so long. If he was any good surely as he is a name with international experience etc then someone in England championship or even 1st div would go get him. Particularly as he did over england.

Why has no one went for him since with premiership and international experience?

You could ask exactly the same questions of Gary McAllister, or even Mark McGhee before he joined us. Irrelevant.

As a youngster surely luc gets you wanting to play, with his record of sorting out youth systems it would give the youngsters faith that if they are good enough they will progress and get games. Conversly sanchez hasn't done that well as a club manager compared to internationals where a side is effectivly already being coached at there own club.

How much faith would Luc's experience as youth coach give the hardened professionals in our squad? I give you Andy Roxburgh at Scotland and Brian Kerr at Ireland, both of whom succeeded at first because the squads they took on had a fair smattering of the lads who had been through the youths with them, yet it quickly became clear, even to those who had worked with them earlier, that both men were out of their depth. The gap between youth football and the professional game is enormous how do we know Nijholt is capable of rising to the challenge.

It's poor crack to criticise Sanchez's record as a club manager when it is still vastly superior to Nijholts.

Remember being at a "smartie party" about 1978 and the girls dad asked Gary what he wanted to do when he left school...........Quote "I'm gonnae play for Man united" Girls Dad "Seriously son what do want to do ?" reply "Am gonnae play for Man united !" ( He had signed "S" forms with Man Ure)

Met him in The Fixx, in Queen Street,Glasgae the night we drew 1-1 with Smeltic in the Scottish cup semi 1985 ,which he scored and Big Forbes missed the header in the last minute,he was feckin gutted we never won,never a h*n in his life !

The Braidhurst team he played in, apparently he was a poor mans Andy Scott :lol: !

You could ask exactly the same questions of Gary McAllister, or even Mark McGhee before he joined us. Irrelevant.

How much faith would Luc's experience as youth coach give the hardened professionals in our squad? I give you Andy Roxburgh at Scotland and Brian Kerr at Ireland, both of whom succeeded at first because the squads they took on had a fair smattering of the lads who had been through the youths with them, yet it quickly became clear, even to those who had worked with them earlier, that both men were out of their depth. The gap between youth football and the professional game is enormous how do we know Nijholt is capable of rising to the challenge.

It's poor crack to criticise Sanchez's record as a club manager when it is still vastly superior to Nijholts.

Surely thats the point no one has went for him. despite his wealth of experience. Don't think Mcallister or mcghee has sanchez leavel of experience. If he is a good manager then why is he interested in the challenge of motherwell. The challenge would surely lie with a bigger team in a bigger league.

as for the professional well they are professional - get on with it. the would also surely appreciate what the man did as a player. What youth development has sanchez brought on? Am asking the question as I don't know. We need to develop the youth. We have had a fairly good season with the youngsters in there respective leagues so we need a guy to bring them on. we will no doubt be loosing hughes. Smith, clarky. With money tight (setanta?) time to bring in the youth.

Would accept though that sanchez didn't get the time at fulham to develo the youth but he did buy some dodgy players as per the fulham fans post on the other thread

Aye he was spending every school holiday down at Old Trafford, totally gutted when they never kept him on but Motherwell moved in to snap him up. Superb piece of business, Man U's loss definitely ours (and later Leeds) gain. Love to see him in the job personally but take Luc in a minute as well.

This is no bull and straight from inside the club...the man to put money on is Patrick "Pat" Fenlon of Bohemians, won the double in his first year and apparently we are tightening the belt and therefore he will cost less than say a Nijholt or Mccalister. I am not fishing before anyone starts...just heard from someone in the loop at Fir Park.

This is no bull and straight from inside the club...the man to put money on is Patrick "Pat" Fenlon of Bohemians, won the double in his first year and apparently we are tightening the belt and therefore he will cost less than say a Nijholt or Mccalister. I am not fishing before anyone starts...just heard from someone in the loop at Fir Park.

Hmm. Given what Pat said about moving to Scotland only yesterday, sounds like some serious convincing from JB would be required to make that happen.

Clicky

Sanchez would have been a big appointment name-wise, but I'm reminded of how excited Rangers's fans got when Paul Le Guen was coming. A big name doesn't always guarantee success. Anyway he seems to have distanced himself from the idea. Maybe he thought his demands would not be outrageous, then spoke to Craigan and realised exactly what constituted outrageous demands at Fir Park...

The guy Fenlon. When I had said on here the other day that I thought we might get a manager out of leftfield, this was a guy that I thought of. Given the snippet (that he's trying to refute in the latest article) that was in the paper quoting him as being interested in a move to the SPL, I thought he might have been on our radar. He would be an interesting appointment, although Stephen Kenny's reign at Dunfermline doesn't inspire...

Maybe they've both applied and been knocked back hence distancing themselves from it to save the red neck :lol: . Whatever the case, it seems no clearer now than before who our next manager is going to be. McAllister and Nijholt are still the only two to publicly declare an interest though I know others will have done so more privately. One thing I would say is that our job does seem to be attracting links with bigger names (and I say that full in the knowledge of the point I made about Paul Le Guen above) than the Falkirk job. At least it seems we're a more attractive proposition than them...

"It's a very queer way you have of looking at things, John Hughes "almost" got Falkirk relegated. Why not tell us what John Hughes actually DID, rather than what he didn't do. John Hughes kept an almost penniless Falkirk side in the SPL"

As has been mentioned earlier, Falkirk are far from penniless. There is nothing queer about it, i stand by the statement 'John Hughes almost got Falkirk relegated'. Every single Falkirk fan would of sacrificied the cup final to stay in the SPL.

I know it had been said earlier that Scott Leitch would be remaining in charge until a new man had been found, but I read in an article that Rickoza posted on the Other Football forum that Leitch is currently in Sweden studying for his UEFA pro license. Does this mean that this idea has been binned? Or does it now mean that we expect the new manager to be in place for the start of pre-season training...?