Best And Worst Motherwell Performances You Have Seen

trafficlight

Best - 2-1 vs Aberdeen to clinch European football, for once we dealt with the huge pressure of having to win then actually doing the business.

1-0 vs Rangers on Boxing Day 2001 when Faddy scored.

2-2 vs Hearts after Phil died, the courage the players showed after going 2-0 down to come back and grab a replay will live with me forever

Worst - Losing 2-1 to Dundee at home when the next tie was away to Queen of the South in the SC quarters.

Losing to Ayr United 4-3 at home when it wouldve been Partick Thistle at home in the SC quarters.

Getting beat 4-3 in the SC semi final off Rangers, shouldve had the game sewn up before half time but came back to haunt us, we wouldve pumped Dundee in the final :D

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr Diggle's mention of Bobby Russell brings back the memory of the first league game of the 90/91 season. Celtic turned up with new signing John Collins (the returning Charlie Nic wasn't fit). Cooper was suspended and we were expected to get easily beaten. Darius Duffcheck (can't spell at this time of night) got sent off in the first half for two (ahem) fouls on Kirk. Billy McNeil tried to accost Kirk at half time on the way down the tunnel only for wee Tommy to appear pointing a finger right into McNeil's belly button (I think it was supposed to be his face). Second half brought the famous Colin O'Neil elbow, a superb Bobby Russell mazy run and goal and what was to become the customary Arnott goal against Celtic. I remember this game particularly fondly because so many guys who I have a real soft spot for played in that game. Nijholt, Burley, Russell and Gahagan were all excellent that day...

Billy McNeil tried to accost Kirk at half time on the way down the tunnel only for wee Tommy to appear pointing a finger right into McNeil's belly button (I think it was supposed to be his face).

That was brilliant, as was the way Kirky simply dismissed McNeil as he walked by him down the tunnel.

Had a fair number of great games and maybe more rubbish ones.

Remember a couple of games v Hearts 98-99 season (we beat them twice in a week) hammered them infront of the Sky cameras 3-1 , then beat them 2-0 at Tynecastle a week later.

Defeating Celtic 2-0 at Parkhead and Rangers 2-0 at Ibrox , the 4-0 win at Dundee United last season and the CIS semi final are other ones that spring to mind just now.

Rotten games include , being papped out the cup by Alloa , Ayr United (twice) , Dundee in McGhee's first season in charge.

The 7-1 home defeat to Celtic was pretty hard to take as well.

Best performance for me would have to be the Scottish Cup Semi Final replay in 1991 against Celtic.

You normally only get one chance against the Old Firm so to beat them in a replay was special.

Worst performance for me was a 6-1 defeat in the Scottish Cup at Tannadice in about 1981 (I think it was the season we romped the First Division). We took a massive support up there with great expectations on the back of our superb league form. I think we were 4-0 down after 20 minutes!!! :rolleyes:

the best beating hearts in the s/f ,when fitz scored.the worst,and am still pissed about it,accies away new years day 87.we got humped 4-2.albert craig scored all 4 for accies.i think they were the only goals the useless tosser ever scored.and it totally pissed down on the walk back through the strathy park :rolleyes:

Best performance for me would have to be the Scottish Cup Semi Final replay in 1991 against Celtic.

You normally only get one chance against the Old Firm so to beat them in a replay was special.

Worst performance for me was a 6-1 defeat in the Scottish Cup at Tannadice in about 1981 (I think it was the season we romped the First Division). We took a massive support up there with great expectations on the back of our superb league form. I think we were 4-0 down after 20 minutes!!! :rolleyes:

I'm surprised at that one, we were completely overrun in the first half and should have been at least 3 down at half time. Dougie goals came completely against the run of play and while we improved in the second half it was hardly a great performance, in fact we were far better in the first game, which we should have won (blatant penalty - no surprise - and Ferguson hitting the bar).

The best I've seen was the 5-3 against DU, which would we would have finished 6 or 7 - 2, if the circumstances had been different.

Worse performance the Scott Howler 5-1 game at Tannadice, could have won the league if it hadn't been for that.

I'm surprised at that one, we were completely overrun in the first half and should have been at least 3 down at half time. Dougie goals came completely against the run of play and while we improved in the second half it was hardly a great performance, in fact we were far better in the first game, which we should have won (blatant penalty - no surprise - and Ferguson hitting the bar).

The best I've seen was the 5-3 against DU, which would we would have finished 6 or 7 - 2, if the circumstances had been different.

Worse performance the Scott Howler 5-1 game at Tannadice, could have won the league if it hadn't been for that.

Aye we maybe didnt quite play like Brazil that night but it was a gutsy and determined team performance. No one gave us a cat in hells chance that night.

DU 5-3 game was an awesome performance right enough. :D

Loads of great games in my memory but humping Livi 6-2 on the last day of the season we finished bottom was particularly pleasing. The mid-70s wins over rangers and Celtic stick in my mind, one that Andy Ross posted the highlights up here when we beat Rangers 3-1, Scottish Cup coming back from 2-0 down to beat Celtic 3-2, beating Stoke and Spurs in the Texaco Cup although I don't remember too much about the games, just being there as a young boy was special.

Painful defeats included consecutive semi final losses to Airdire and the Vile h*n in the 70s, both in controversial circumstances, Celtic in semi finals twice in the 80s (h**s one I was in Corfu but felt it just as keenly, spoiled my night almost so I had to go out to forget) but worst was perhaps losing 3-2 to Berwick which sent us to 3rd bottom of the First Division in 1979. Thankfully that's as low as it's got for us and we recovered to push up the table.

Worst.. gettin humped 5 nil at Tynecastle in the cup with the rain running down the shuck of my arse with that wee fat turd Robertson scoring.

Best.. beating the Tims 4-2 in the semi final. All the piss poor games, all the old firm humpings,all the mega let downs had been worth it, And when we sang " Now yer gonna believe us ,We're gonna win the cup"after the fourth went in,we all knew our time had come.

That 6-1 thumping of the Jambos in 2002 has to be up there with the best of Motherwell performances in recent memory. We went into the game having not won for nearly three whole months and we didn't really expect anything from a high flying Hearts team. However we just absolutely destroyed them that night and looked like we could score every time we attacked. Faddy and Pearson were absolutely immense down the left flank that night and they completely destroyed Hearts in the first half alone.

For worst performance, there's not many will top the 4-1 gubbing at East End Park in May 2007 that dragged us right back into the relegation mire at the end of the Malpas season. The players on the park that night in C&A played as though they didn't give a fuck and Malpas just stood there doing nothing about it. Mind you, you could say that about quite a few games that season, especially the 4-1 home defeat against Inverness when our manager said post match that he wished he could just have left early.

I think I need to take the bait here, we rode our luck and the HT score could maybe have been 3-1 Celtic if Coyne had shown some composure, but he didn't, so 2 down at HT, not 3, the football leading to our 2nd goal and the ball in from Nijholt was superb. The build up to our 3rd started at our goal line almost, we played some 1 - 2's and found ourselves with a shy just inside their half.

Watching the whole game is something I never tire of doing, I've watched the Hearts semi (complete) maybe twice, we were against the odds from the start against Celtic and after a shambolic start rolled up the sleeves and put 4 goals past Celtic for the 1st time in my lifetime. Technically the performance may not have been 'the best' but the manner of the victory, the scoreline and eventual outcome from that game puts it right up there.

Totally agree with that Yabba. Pretty much know the commentary off by heart to that game I've watched it so many times. All the sweeter being a replay with all the usual chat pre match of the Old Firm never losing replays and our chance being gone etc.

I think I need to take the bait here, we rode our luck and the HT score could maybe have been 3-1 Celtic if Coyne had shown some composure, but he didn't, so 2 down at HT, not 3, the football leading to our 2nd goal and the ball in from Nijholt was superb. The build up to our 3rd started at our goal line almost, we played some 1 - 2's and found ourselves with a shy just inside their half.

Watching the whole game is something I never tire of doing, I've watched the Hearts semi (complete) maybe twice, we were against the odds from the start against Celtic and after a shambolic start rolled up the sleeves and put 4 goals past Celtic for the 1st time in my lifetime. Technically the performance may not have been 'the best' but the manner of the victory, the scoreline and eventual outcome from that game puts it right up there.

I don't disagree with what you say, but the question was what was Motherwell's best performance, your last sentence suggests that you actually agree it wasn't the best.

If the question had been what was the greatest Motherwell game you had seen then there is no agrument that game is up there.

Aye, consider that for a bit of perspective next time we lose an SPL gemme :thumbup:

Am I right in thinking our next game after this was the famous 4-2 win over Hearts.

Another great game which hasn't been mentioned yet.

"Silvery Moon" :notworthy:

I don't disagree with what you say, but the question was what was Motherwell's best performance, your last sentence suggests that you actually agree it wasn't the best.

If the question had been what was the greatest Motherwell game you had seen then there is no agrument that game is up there.

It may not have been a great technical performance, but we showed guts and desire to come back twice against Celtic, not going to get into semantics but I still rate our performance that night as something quite awesome.

Am I right in thinking our next game after this was the famous 4-2 win over Hearts.

Another great game which hasn't been mentioned yet.

"Silvery Moon" :lol:

That Hearts game came immediately after Raith scudded us 5-2 up there. Doing what we do best, coming back strong when everyone had written us off. The Berwick game I went and checked, that was the following season 1980-81 so I was wrong on that year but have it etched it my memory that we went third bottom after that defeat.

I think you'll find also that when these threads come round most of them are recent games cos they're fresh in the memory or the youngsters dominate proceedings. For all our troubles in the First Division there were some great memories which may not rank with the best but are up there for those of us of a certain vintage.

I recall Fir Park seemed full when we played Hearts that midweek game, of course it wasn't but there was just such a buzz in at the old fence. Loads of games like that even Arbroath in our opening home game seemed busy although I'm sure the attendance figures will show it was anything but. Mists of time certainly cloud the memories I'm sure.