Unsung Players From Days Of Yore

Haggischomper

Every team has them - the one guy that isn't sppreciated by the majority of fans, or is a boo-boy or who does a power of underappreaciated work for the team.

For me, one guy that always seemed to cop it from the fans for no apparent reason was Rab Shannon. Possibly the least liked player in a classy Well team at the time I awlays though he was a good solid right back for us in a position that had been giving us some trouble at the time.

Ian Angus was another guy that I thought did okay despite not having the 100% backing of the fans.

Who's yours?

Dave McCabe was always a bit of a folk hero with me and my mates. He was a striker/winger playing about the same time as Dougie, Paul Kinnaird etc (late 80's/early 90's?).

He floated in and out of the team and I don't remember him scoring much but we were always willing him to be on the team sheet. My best memory was when he scored in a 3-1 victory over Rangers at Fir Park. Seem to remember he had a moustache.

All a bit vague in my memory but will never forget the name.

He floated in and out of the team and I don't remember him scoring much but we were always willing him to be on the team sheet. My best memory was when he scored in a 3-1 victory over Rangers at Fir Park. Seem to remember he had a moustache.

Was that goal not wrongly chalked off for offside?

John Reilly would really do ma tits in. One minute he could score a screamer the next he'd be lying on his arse after missing the ball completely. Think he ended his Motherwell career getting injured stepping out of his car, says it all really. You just never knew which John Reilly would turn up.

The first one that springs to mind is Nick Cusack. I may be looking back with rose-tinted specs but I liked him. Certainly not seen much chat about him on here in the year and a half I've been registered.

Cuuuuuuuuuuuusack Cuuuuuuuuuuuusack..............

In our team of the mid 90s, the late Jamie Dolan was very much the unsung hero. The cup winning team of 91 contained a few, none more so than Jim Griffin.

For me it's Jim Griffin, sad he had lots of injury concern's but made over 100 apperance scored a few peaches. Won a Scot Cup medal and helped the side into europe.

Fitz is in the same bracket just now, a player I've always liked.

I remember having high hopes for Khalid Kemas, certainley should get praise for his goal against Livi at Fir Park, Just a shame we got hammered 5-1. Just a shame he was unfit and over weight in his year with the steelmen.

joe carson

Now there's a blast from the past. Best centre half I ever saw play for the 'Well his partnership with Stevie McLellan :P was the reason we won the league in '82' Willie Irvine from the same team was another of the unsung heroes. :D

In the early 1970's we were always looking for the next Dixie Deans, it was a wee while before Willie Pettigrew arrived on the scene, and we had various players up front and three I always liked were Jumbo Muir, John Goldthorpe, and Kirkie Lawson.

I was working in Uddingston Co-op in 1973 and there was a lollipopwoman outside the offices on Old Mill Road and I always had a chat with her on the way into work. As I left one Wednesday lunchtime I stopped to chat and told her I was going for a game of snooker and then going to the football that night to see Motherwell. She stunned me by telling me her son played for Motherwell, it was Kirkie Lawson's mother. She later became a councillor for the area, a wonderful character.

He not the guy McLeish forker out a small fortune for when Spurs couldn't give him away?

Yeah, He was in there reserves and cost us £150,000 or thereabouts. Can mind him playing a stormer against Hibernian but think that was it for him.

Bobby Graham never got the credit he was due when he played alongside Wullie Pettigrew.

Graham would get the ball, hold it up, wait for Pettigrew to arrive and play it in front of him to run onto and Wullies pace took him past defenders and scored a lot of his goals due to the assists from Bobby Graham.

:P:D