Unsung Players From Days Of Yore

Haggischomper

In the early 1970's we were always looking for the next Dixie Deans, it was a wee while before Willie Pettigrew arrived on the scene, and we had various players up front and three I always liked were Jumbo Muir, John Goldthorpe, and Kirkie Lawson.

Agree with that ..................... Jumbo's goal in the Texaco Semi at Swynecastle will live with me for ever. :P

John"Airwolf"Reilly

Did Dave McCabe score at all for m'well?Think he was highly rated,can only remember his disallowed "goal" against the H*ns

John Hendry:another great McLeish signing,remember teflon Eck stating the reason for Hendry's poor form was that he couldn't sell his flat in London

I would like to throw Stevie 'Clangers' Woods in the mix. I know he made some costly errors but seen him make some top drwer saves, so At Times i think he should perhaps have gotten more credit. I remember the day livi shipped 5 past him and fans were ready to literary jump the dyke and batter him. He took some abuse from day dot and would stay 9 years. not too shabby

I agree with the Bobby Graham comment, If you look at Pettigrews scoring record after the left Fir Park there is no comparison all because her never have someone like Bobby Graham to give him the ammo.

I've aways been a member of the Bobby Graham fan club.

Bobby Graham never got the credit he was due when he played alongside Wullie Pettigrew.

Graham would get the ball, hold it up, wait for Pettigrew to arrive and play it in front of him to run onto and Wullies pace took him past defenders and scored a lot of his goals due to the assists from Bobby Graham.

:P:D

I disagree with that. My memory of the time was that it was the exact oopposite. Pettigrew never got the credit he did because a lot of people said it was all down to Bobby Graham. Bobby Graham left Motherwell two seasons before Pettigrew did and it didn't stop Willie from scoring goals.

The Kaiser for service to the club through tough times and a shitty way to end his well career. One of the best players in the modern era for Well, and a great guy.

100% agreed . cant forget his skills either ;)

• Like 1

Fantastic subject for a thread ;)

although think some are missing the point of unsung heroes/guys you never hear about

Among the first I thought of was Rab Shannon was a bit of a cult hero to me and my mate didn't ever get the feeling anyone else rated his contribution at the time

John 'Softie' Philiben, did he not play in every game of the cup run up until the Final where he didn't make the squad due to the limited spaces thus not getting a medal :( Gutted for the big man and he also has a fine record as Motherwell Manager ;) although seem to remember he was prone to the occasional OG ;) and the amount of balls he put over the roof of stands around the country must've cost a fortune :lol:

what about George 'Pace/Shades' Burley served us well even tho' the legs were going he had the footballing brain about him to read the game ala Craggs