The Relegation Battle

DEWELL

O'Brien showed enough potential today to warrant a start next week in my book. If we're playing 4-4-2, we need natural width and O'Brien was consistently getting into decent positions down the left. The only reason he couldn't make anything of it was a complete lack of support from Hammell, who just doesn't seem to want to get forward at all at the moment.

Reynolds will benefit greatly from Craigan coming back I think. He seems a bit lost without an old head to help him through the game so hopefully we can get Craggs back sooner rather than later.

Hammell just doesn't seem confident at all going forward and the lack of good crosses into the box is really showing in our goal scoring (or not) record. It's an issue that's brushed over most of the time but I have always been of the opinion that we really miss Jim Paterson on the left hand side. He always looked to get to the bye-line and fire in a cross, something we're crying out for these days, especially with 2 big men up front.

Guest JohnnyDefault

glad to see some olive branches heading out JOB's way - as I'm amazed at how much stick he gets the moment he sets foot on the park.

Others in the team get far more lee-way from the support and McGhee.

Team for ICT game then

Smith

Colonel Saunders

Klimpl

Craggs

Reynolds

Hughes

Lasley

Fitzy

Jim O Brien

Porter

Clarky

Tbh I think Reynolds would benefit a lot from time away from the first team. I think, the pressure is beginning to show on him. Time on the subs bench, so he can get back to basics etc I think will see Reynolds coming back hitting the ground running.

Also, why the hell has Fizzy dropped down so much recently! He has been, IMHO one of the best players this season.

Sorry, am I the only one who can actually remember that for all Stepover being a great player for us, entertaining footwork and all, when he went outside and tried to hit the byline he always got caught by the opposing full back as he wasn't the paciest. This typically meant him having to turn and either pass it back to whoever was behind him or loop it in with his weaker right foot having checked back. The irony is that Hammell probably has got the pace to hit the byline and the left foot to whip in something decent.

Sorry, am I the only one who can actually remember that for all Stepover being a great player for us, entertaining footwork and all, when he went outside and tried to hit the byline he always got caught by the opposing full back as he wasn't the paciest. This typically meant him having to turn and either pass it back to whoever was behind him or loop it in with his weaker right foot having checked back. The irony is that Hammell probably has got the pace to hit the byline and the left foot to whip in something decent.

I kind of thought that as well until the summer when I watched back some of the highlights of last season. The 5-3 Dundee United game, the cup game at Hearts, two good wins against Hibs, Paterson flying (cos the pace he acquired seemed to stay unlike McGarry's) past the opposition full backs featured heavily. Perversely (and I think this is the thing that surprises me the most), looking at last season, Paterson seemed more solid defensively than Hammell...