Sky Sports - Motherwell's Greatest Ever Player Nominations

Tartan_Special

one name Faddy!

With the greatest of respect to the younger fans, someone like Faddy can in no way be considered to be our best ever player. He played for the Motherwell first team for about 5 mins before moving on. The mid 70's team was half full of players who could do what Faddy did. Guys like Wark, Ian Taylor, Vic Davidson, Marinello could ALL beat men and cross and score goals. Faddy was special for his time but his time was brief and he was in a team dominated by non special players. Just my opinion like :lol:

Tin hat on........ :D:D:thumbup:

No need for a tin hat, I think you are right. The guys you mentioned were different class. While Faddy had cult status (and for good reason) players like Gary Mac and McLair were, in my opinion, also better all-round players. As I believe their respective league titles and European trophies show.

For me, there have been many from different decades to choose from. Be it for penalty kick saves (Keith McRae), goal line clearences (Joe Wark), goals galore (W.P.), knockin' Peter Grants teeth doon his throat (wonder who that wis ?) :thumbup: and many others who have all contributed in their own way but for me, my vote goes to Wee dougie. His after match interview after the smeltic semi sums up what it means to pull on 'the jersey' and do what we dream about all our lives ! :lol::D

and just 'cause am nearly 50 and could'ny run across the road disnae mean a don't still "DREAM THE DREAM" :D

Out of sentiment voted for Uncle Phil.

But why no Ancell Babes.

St. John, Willie Hunter, Pat Quinn(the wee barrel), Andy Weir,Charlie Aitken.

What about Ben Ellis, Andy Paton.

These were all great players. I'm sure some of the older guy's could come up with others.

BIG TACHE:: Do you think we should invite wee Colin over to sit in the dugout when we play the Sc*m just to keep Mr. Grant in his place. :nod:

• 1 month later...
Voting ended results were...

Joe Wark 11%

Phil O'Donnell 22%

Dougie Arnott 11%

James McFadden 12%

Davie Cooper 26%

Wilie Pettigrew 13%

Bobby Ferrier 4%

Let's be honest here, for Joe Wark to finish seciond last in a poll about Motherwell's greatest ever player is a joke, and I dont believe that would have been the result had the poll been strictly among Motherwell fans.

The two players way ahead of the rest are the two with Old Firm connections, obviously voting was hijacked by the scum to try and get their man in, absolutely pathetic. It will be interesting to see if there is a similar pattern with other non OF teams.

Aye, Cooper always struck me as a great player who played at Motherwell towards the end of his career. He obviously made a significant contribution, but he's much more closely associated in my mind with Rangers and Clydebank.

Wullie P, Joe Wark and the like are the names that lay claim to Greatest Motherwell Player. I can see why other Motherwell fans would vote for Coop though.

I think you are being too harsh there Lip

Davie Cooper would get many many votes from Motherwell fans in his own right, probably I'm guessing from a different generation of fans to yourself

He arrived at Motherwell when the town was on its knees and everything he brought to the club and area was positive, he breathed life back into the club for a whole gneration of fans and dare I say it, I also believe he boosted the gates (nae figures before anyone asks)

Its kinda like Phil will have received a generations vote as he was a club hero and there are all too fresh memories of how sadly missed he is around the place.

The voting system wasn't very good but I doubt the Old firm hordes will have went out their way to influence it

Did Kirkie not beat Joe Wark in a recent fans greatest ever?

you could hold the most efficient poll every ten to twenty years and I'd reckon you'd see big changes in the placings every second generation

What matters is all of these Legends retain a place in the clubs history :whistling:

I think you are being too harsh there Lip

Davie Cooper would get many many votes from Motherwell fans in his own right, probably I'm guessing from a different generation of fans to yourself

He arrived at Motherwell when the town was on its knees and everything he brought to the club and area was positive, he breathed life back into the club for a whole gneration of fans and dare I say it, I also believe he boosted the gates (nae figures before anyone asks)

Its kinda like Phil will have received a generations vote as he was a club hero and there are all too fresh memories of how sadly missed he is around the place.

The voting system wasn't very good but I doubt the Old firm hordes will have went out their way to influence it

Did Kirkie not beat Joe Wark in a recent fans greatest ever?

you could hold the most efficient poll every ten to twenty years and I'd reckon you'd see big changes in the placings every second generation

What matters is all of these Legends retain a place in the clubs history :doh:

I'm not arguing with the result, for my money anyone of them could have won it and I'd be quite happy. It's just the disparity in the amount of votes cast for each man. If it was purely Motherwell fans I reckon Coop and Phil would have been on the same lines as the rest of them, and only a couple of points would have split the winner from the rest of them.

• 1 month later...

Can't decide something like this by a poll, always going to be skewed in some way whether it's a generation thing or personal feelings. Flow had a great idea before he got THE job for a Hall of Fame where a panel made up of different generations would sit and argue over candidates put up for inclusion by whatever means. The young yins on here couldn't influence it by voting in numbers for recent heroes and achievements would be duly considered for every candidate.

Shame it was hijacked by that kid-on Greatest Ever corporate event which didn't even include names from the only real Title winning team we've produced in our history. (Albeit they might just have got the Greatest PLayer right in the end)

You're right in a way, but it's impossible for any panel to judge really, especially if it's made up partly of younger generations. The best panel would be a shower of right old guys who are still going to the games who could remember the great teams we had in the 70s, 50s and even 30s and compare them as such, but even then it's difficult to set a fair criteria, given that the game has changed so much.

Playing devils advocate here, of course, but if WullieP was playing today, would he be considerred as fast as he was? Given that players now are all atheletes and Pettigrew was playing against guys with proper bellies on them, maybe he would be a totally average player just now. Also, guys like Peter Millar and the rest of the team who kicked St Mirren off the park in '78 wouldn't last five minutes nowadays with the new referees mindset about tackles from behind, etc. So does that mean that guys like Craigan, who are more hard but fair, would be considerred better than them in the listing? I dunno the answer to that - I'm just asking the question.