Paul Quinn

garethgardner

Anyway....if Quinn simply had to be sold, then you'd think more effort would've been made to keep McLean?!

That assumes that MMcG or the powers that be saw Mclean as an adequate replacement, which clearly they did not. For my part whatever he was, he was never a right back.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your spot-on with what you say nethertonwellfan.

All our players have a price and I know it's off topic but my gripe is that we are selling our assets too cheaply. I can't for the life of me understand why we didn't extend certain player contracts when their stock was high - 3rd place finish.

Modest/affordable raises to wages in the short term might have helped secure these extensions. This is not speculating or gambling because it is more than coverered by their market value. The way most players seem to view it is that providing assurances are made by the club not to stand in their way when a so called bigger club comes in for them, they sign up in the short term for more money.

If their valuation (decided buy player, agent and club) is met by any club they would be allowed to discuss personal terms etc.

Recently we have sold Porter 400k, Clarkson 700k and now Quinn for 300k. Although some people think we've done well by getting these figures, I'm not one of them.

We've let McCormack go (minimal compensation) and could be letting go free for various reasons, Smith, Hughes, McLean and others. I'm not saying we could have kept these players for longer but some should have generated a transfer fee.

Incidently, that means a possible team worth of Motherwell players is worth a little over half of Fletchers apparent value.

MM was happy to allow this to happen. I hope Gannon can persuade or show Boyle how to make the most from our assets. Can we not start offering two/three year contracts with modest wage rises each year in the hope that the players feel more secure.

At this moment in time we are being raped by all and sundry.

Your spot-on with what you say nethertonwellfan.

All our players have a price and I know it's off topic but my gripe is that we are selling our assets too cheaply. I can't for the life of me understand why we didn't extend certain player contracts when their stock was high - 3rd place finish.

Modest/affordable raises to wages in the short term might have helped secure these extensions. This is not speculating or gambling because it is more than coverered by their market value. The way most players seem to view it is that providing assurances are made by the club not to stand in their way when a so called bigger club comes in for them, they sign up in the short term for more money.

If their valuation (decided buy player, agent and club) is met by any club they would be allowed to discuss personal terms etc.

Recently we have sold Porter 400k, Clarkson 700k and now Quinn for 300k. Although some people think we've done well by getting these figures, I'm not one of them.

We've let McCormack go (minimal compensation) and could be letting go free for various reasons, Smith, Hughes, McLean and others. I'm not saying we could have kept these players for longer but some should have generated a transfer fee.

Incidently, that means a possible team worth of Motherwell players is worth a little over half of Fletchers apparent value.

MM was happy to allow this to happen. I hope Gannon can persuade or show Boyle how to make the most from our assets. Can we not start offering two/three year contracts with modest wage rises each year in the hope that the players feel more secure.

At this moment in time we are being raped by all and sundry.

I share your frustrations Tree but your point about the extension of the contracts seems to work on the assumption that the players concerned are happy to re-sign extended contracts. The evidence in recent times with the likes of McDonald, McCormack, Smith, McLean and Hughes suggests that's far from being the case.

We may choose to push the boat out in terms of Motherwell's budget but if the player has aspirations to play at a higher, get a bigger wad, or is simply looking for a fresh challenge, all the dosh that MFC could throw at them might not make a difference.

Another consequence is that is has the potential effect of unsettling other less well played squad members and lead us back down the slippery road away from the break even point.

Glad to see the back of Quinn. My lasting memory of him is getting a stupid booking at Fir Park in the last game of the season, knowing how important it was to not pick up yellow cards that day. He may have given 100% however he was a sometimes a liability (due to his yelow cards and off-field antics). I know my thoughts might not be popular with the Quinn fan club, but do remember that this forum is all about opinions, whether you think they are right or wrong.

Well Well Suprawell

All the best to paul! I really liked him as a player, sad to see him go!

Also, sorry if this is a really daft question but does anyone have any idea the figure we got Quinn. I've read 300k but I'm sure I heard/read something about 700k??

Cheers, dez

Was always 300k, I think the Mirror quoted 700k, which was ludicrous and then another outlet followed suit.

Cheers mate..always thought 700k seemed ridiculous! What a fee that woulda been though!!

Still, 300k isn't a bad bit of business at all. Hopefully a good chunk will be given to Gannon to rebuild and mould a squad of his own. It's gonna be strange this coming season though not seeing Quinn ( and clarkson) in the C&A, they've been part of the first team for just about as long as I've been watching 'well!

Cheers, Dez

• 1 month later...
Fairplay, Quinn is a top player. Very solid and liked to get forward. The winger against him today had no chance at all. Top performance and looking forward to seeing more performances like this off the lad

How did the other ex well player get on today, the unsettled Rossco. What are the Cardiff fans' feelings towards him?

How did the other ex well player get on today, the unsettled Rossco. What are the Cardiff fans' feelings towards him?

Rossco was himself = class act. All this stuff in the papers, not sure if it's him, the club, the press doing this to stir things up but we have a go at him for it, but whenever any player who puts the shirt of Cardiff on, they will never be booed. He set up 2 very well worked goals and wasn't far from scoring a few himself. We won 4-0 but it should have been around 7/8-0

Rossco was himself = class act. All this stuff in the papers, not sure if it's him, the club, the press doing this to stir things up but we have a go at him for it, but whenever any player who puts the shirt of Cardiff on, they will never be booed. He set up 2 very well worked goals and wasn't far from scoring a few himself. We won 4-0 but it should have been around 7/8-0

Good to see the ex Well players doing well, good luck in the new season.

For what it's worth I think Peter Risdale is a very smart man and was trying to entice bids for him. Rossco tells the truth and if he said he never put in a transfer request I beleive him. I don't trust Risdale much after the Leeds debacle.

For what it's worth I think Peter Risdale is a very smart man and was trying to entice bids for him. Rossco tells the truth and if he said he never put in a transfer request I beleive him. I don't trust Risdale much after the Leeds debacle.

I'm not a big fan of Risdale but he did promise a new ground etc so well done on that and next week a big investment from Malaysia is on it's way. Langstone and PMG(Part owners) will be gone from what I heared. PMG are mainly rugby people so thank feck they will be gone!

Good to see the ex Well players doing well, good luck in the new season.

Cheers, if we keep this squad together and 2 more players in, I think we will do very well. Good luck yourselves. Hopefully a 'well fan knows staff at the club and a game can be sorted next pre season between the two clubs