Sell Sell Sell It's A Firesale Everybody Must Go Along With Hopes Of A Decent Season!

rab_mackinnon

I'm beside myself just now and the feeling is all the more painful after what we've went through as a support and a club over the last 2 years.

Who would've thought we would achieve 3rd place after what malpas done with the squad, but to have had that success and then see our squad lose key player after key player.

I know we are a selling club and always will be to survive as we will never command a support like the old firm, but if we keep selling our prize assets then what am i investing my season ticket money for?

I pay to watch the well every week and love the club, but is my investment being taken for granted?

I still pay the same price no matter what we put on the park but with, paterson,porter,mccormack,smith,hughes,mclean,malcolm and more to follow of the squad that achieved 3rd on the way out i fear we'll be in a battle with the diddy teams in the league that we fought so hard to climb away from.

It's always 2 steps forward 3 steps back, i just don't understand the mentality of mcghee in the first place not signing up our key players on longer deals or did he want them freed up to take to pittodrie or whereever he'll be?

I'm sensing tough times ahead but if we do sell clarky and quinn will we use the money to bring new blood in?

One thing for sure is whoever comes in it will be there squad and the success or failure that brings will be down to them.

Still want the job guys???

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Calm down, so we're in for a relegation battle. Been there before and we will be again. I would imagine that some of any fees brought in will go towards strengthening the squad. Wait and see what the season brings. I expect us to struggle, maybe even get relegated but I'm not going to get myself worked up about it. I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again...

Aye, on another thread someone asked how much our crowds would drop if were to be relegated. I reckon they'd be about the same. No team really brings a massive away support outwith the Old Firm and most people that go to Fir Park now are those who'll go irrespective of what division we're in. Who knows, the crowds might go up if we're in a race for title.

We've been run reasonably frugally since coming out of administration. Relegation shouldn't be the terrifying prospect some seem to think it is...

Whatever the future holds, bring it on. We always survive.

I just wish the club would appoint someone that is genuinely interested in the future of the club. From Lambert all the way through to Clarkson we have been raped due to players running their contract down.

Sadly McGhee had no long term interest in the club or Clarkson, Quinn & Reynolds would have been signed up on longer deals.

Sadly McGhee had no long term interest in the club or Clarkson, Quinn & Reynolds would have been signed up on longer deals.

He could have tried, but how many agents let their players sign long term deals these days? More likely we'd have ended up losing them sooner.

Clarkson hasn't let his contract run down, assuming he is away just now.

Fact of the matter is even if McGhee made a big effort to keep the McCormacks, Porter's, Hughe's of the world it nigh on impossible. We can't sustain wages bigger than what he got them with on the first place and players that stand out for us end up getting better offers.

As it is if the TV deal is sorted fairly soon there should be ample money to reinvest, I just hope the new manager has some leeway to make a start before then or we could be facing some seriously testing times.

I'm beside myself just now and the feeling is all the more painful after what we've went through as a support and a club over the last 2 years.

Who would've thought we would achieve 3rd place after what malpas done with the squad, but to have had that success and then see our squad lose key player after key player.

I know we are a selling club and always will be to survive as we will never command a support like the old firm, but if we keep selling our prize assets then what am i investing my season ticket money for?

I pay to watch the well every week and love the club, but is my investment being taken for granted?

I still pay the same price no matter what we put on the park but with, paterson,porter,mccormack,smith,hughes,mclean,malcolm and more to follow of the squad that achieved 3rd on the way out i fear we'll be in a battle with the diddy teams in the league that we fought so hard to climb away from.

It's always 2 steps forward 3 steps back, i just don't understand the mentality of mcghee in the first place not signing up our key players on longer deals or did he want them freed up to take to pittodrie or whereever he'll be?

I'm sensing tough times ahead but if we do sell clarky and quinn will we use the money to bring new blood in?

One thing for sure is whoever comes in it will be there squad and the success or failure that brings will be down to them.

Still want the job guys???

To an extent, you've answered your own questions.....

As you say, we survive by being a selling club - your investment as a season ticket holder is part of that survival, but with the size of our support there is always ging to be the need to sell players and (hopefully) bring on replacements.

McGhee's mentality in not signing up players is clear - he had no intention of still being here, and hoped to take some of them with him. He has not been working for us for months.

Sometimes it's 2 steps forward and 3 back, but sometimes (like the last couple of seasons), it's 3 forward and 2 back. It's part of the deal when you support the club, and not individuals.

Players and managers may go, they may be missed in the short term, but we have lost better players than those going now and become stronger. We deal with it and move on.

Certainly, with the potential loss of TV money things will be difficult, but I support Motherwell, not any individual who happens to play for, or manage, or even own, the club for a short period. Whatever is necessary for the club to survive is OK by me.

I think it's extremely premature for such severe pessimism - we're well over a month away from the start of the season and folk are writing off said season before a ball is kicked, the new manager has been confirmed and the new manager had made any signings?

It's concerning that we have no manager and a paper thin squad, but it's not as if this is the eve of the new season.

There has hardly been any signing activity so we're not alone in not recruiting new talent just now.

Give the new manager a chance to add to the squad before you write the season off - you may find the season doesn't need to be written off. :rolleyes:

Who would've thought we would achieve 3rd place after what malpas done with the squad

Exactly, we'll recover.

In my time I've seen us lose MacKinnon, Lambert and Burns (big deal to me at the time) as our first Bosmans, then we offloaded McMillan and McCulloch for a bargain price, then ditched our entire squad and still managed to survive (cheers Falkirk :rolleyes: ) Then Pearo and McFadden go and somehow we still managed to do well, Foran and Hammell next, and then even the hapless Malpas signed us a gem in McCormack, and we sold him, and Porter, and we're still here.

So we'll recover from the loss of Clarky, Quinn, Hughes and Smith, although some of the boo boys wont!!

Roll on the next wave of guys we'll sell in a couple of years time. We football fans love transfer activity and speculation, if we kept the same squad year on year it would be hella boring.

I've been saying that for a while mate. Drama Queens.
some of the best days at the fitba for me have been bridies away league cup game[81/82?]the hedge scottish cup replay.qots 2-5,english team in scotland league cup and bobby balfours mob away in same cup 2-3?[jim gilespies great goal].there are loads more :lol:

Killie are going down this season, be it through points or due to finances.

I've been betting on that for three years now. Hopefully this year will be correct.

Despite the possibility of losing Clarkson and Quinn I still think we'll end above Falkirk, Killie and Accies and probably St Johnstone too.

I think it's extremely premature for such severe pessimism - we're well over a month away from the start of the season and folk are writing off said season before a ball is kicked, the new manager has been confirmed and the new manager had made any signings?

That is the correct answer!

Some folk need to chill out a bit. I know that sounds a bit patronising, but c'mon to fuck, we're ages away from the start of the season! New gaffer is still to come in, we've got a good core of players, and with a few signings, we'll be fine!

Lets be grateful we HAVE these sellable assests and in these, to use a phrase I despise, uncertain times, that's vital. Look at the likes of Killie, 12mill in debt and no assests, Falkirk the same, all in debt and no assests to sell. There are going to be more clubs in worse positions than ourselves.

I'm sure I read that they make a horrendous loss on that, and it's not going to bail them £12,000,000 out of the red.

They have a smaller first team squad than us, and really, who do they have that they can sell for anywhere near one million?

Although I think we are far from in perfect shape, there are some worse off than us. Killie haven't had a decent product of their youth system since Boyd and Canero. In Falkirk's case they have Arfield and Barr, although Barr only has one year left. The thing that worries me about us is the fact that we are going to lose another two important players, in top of the three or four we already stand to lose, and we have no one in line to find replacements for them, whilst all the other teams snap the available good players up.

I feel the exact opposite from the oppening poster.

This new season has the added element of the unexpected with a new gaffer and new players to join us on our rollercoaster

a euro place 3 years in the row by this time next season, altho maybe not as early a start :P