Sell Sell Sell It's A Firesale Everybody Must Go Along With Hopes Of A Decent Season!

rab_mackinnon

I'm sure I read that they make a horrendous loss on that, and it's not going to bail them £12,000,000 out of the red.

Funny that, seem to remember suggestions to that end were ridiculed cos the hotel was apparently a definite money spinner. So we can put to bed any notion of us following their lead on the hotel front if and when we ever move? Finally? :P

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we're always going to feel hard done by as soon as any player puts together a consistent run of form bigger clubs with more money will come sniffing around and said player will be off quick as they can.

i'd much suffer from players being on an upward trajectory than a downward one though. consider how many of our players have left and moved onto "better" things compared with our rivals - killie, st mirren, dundee united, falkirk aberdeen. we're fortunate enough to have been able to watch better players than the fans of those clubs and while it's sore when they leave surely it's better to have loved and been hurt by faddy, skippy, rossco et al than never have loved at all? :P

i started a thread on the final day of the season gloomily predicting what state our squad would be in a year's time. somehow as well as losing our manager nere enough everything i predicted has happened in a month. we just have to hope a new manager can sign a few gems and that the youths step up, the same things we're always hoping for basically times 5.

i'd much suffer from players being on an upward trajectory than a downward one though. consider how many of our players have left and moved onto "better" things compared with our rivals - killie, st mirren, dundee united, falkirk aberdeen. we're fortunate enough to have been able to watch better players than the fans of those clubs and while it's sore when they leave surely it's better to have loved and been hurt by faddy, skippy, rossco et al than never have loved at all? :whistling:

That's the reality check guys. Motherwell are, have been and always will be a selling club. It is our position in Scottish football to produce good young players who serve us well for a short period of time and then move on to bigger and better things. In some cases they will return to finish their career and maybe even inspire a younger generation but the hard fact is that we will never see the likes of a Joe Wark again at Motherwell. The same could be said for our managers over the last 10 years too with 4 of our last 6 gaffers being in the English Premier since they moved on and that will be the target of the next one whoever he is. Sorry but this is the lot of the 'Well fan and has been for years we should just hope that as they rise to stardom that they can give us a bit of enjoyment along the way and who knows maybe even a bit of silverware too :lol:

The name of this post sounds like corporal Fraser from Dad's Army. "We're all doomed!" or whatever it was the bug-eyed old grey-haired git shouted.

Remember, we will have a new manager who at least will have room to bring in new players. He's not going to be told we have too many players on the books now is he?

Would you rather be following St Mirren, Kilmarnock. Accies, or Falkirk just now? We're in a better position to bring in players than they are. There is no money sloshing around the Scottish football scene, so with transfer money coming in, Motherwell's books must be in a far better position than most teams.

We just need to hold our nerve until the new boss is in place, who is bound to have a few players in mind to bring to the club, otherwise why would he take the job?

A good Europa win next week will steady the nerves.

With a new manager coming in, now is probably a good time to sell a few players. That way, he will be able to shape a squad in his own style. I won't be close to panicking until we need to win our last game of the season to survive. Until then, I'm quite happy to give the new gaffer time to build a new Motherwell team. In fact, I'm actually looking forward to see how the whole situation develops.

A few years ago just before the transfer window shut a certain James McFadden was sold to everton for over £1 million. I was absolutely gutted, we had just finished bottom of the league the previous year and sold our best player. I thought we were doomed. No way will we survive now a thought. My uncle said to me that he saw the likes of Brian McClair, Gary McCallister, Andy Walker, Phil O ' Donnell Paul Lambert, Rab McKinnon...........you get his point. Since then Skippy, Chris Porter Rossco have al gone on to better things.

I understand the concerns the original poster of this thread has but you have to learn to live with the fact that they will all go if they are any good and have any ambition. I remember laughing at McMillan and McCulloch for going to Wigan.........how the hell are they bigger than us their a Second Division team...... and a few years later McCulloch was in the EPL.

The players above have all left us and we still survive because we always produce an absolute gem first it was Faddy, then Skippy, then Clarky and next it will be Murphy and McHugh (this guy is special beleive me). Motherwell may struggle this year but we will survive because we are better than Accies, Falkirk, St Mirren and Kilmarnock.

So please no more doom and gloom, think positively(I know its hard at times like this) give the young guys a chance because you never know as Faddy put the smile back on your face during the dark days of administration, a star may emerge from the pre season Euro campaign ahead. A hat-trick from McHugh and we will forget all about Clarkson.

To be honest i expected Graham Smith to go, he thinks he was a big shot and i dont think i seen him kick a ball straight all season. The new No 1 Michael Fraser looked good when he played for ICT and Hughes is going, and im not too bothered, he was on high wages. Big bob, not that bothered that he went, last half of the season he couldnt kick his own arse. I will be GUTTED if Mclean leaves. He is one for the future and prefer him to Reynolds who was TAM Kite last season. If Clarkson goes so does the goals, the rest of the forwards we have are P Poor. And lastly Klimpl, i would love him to sign for us. We are in need of 2 good midfielders and 2 strikers, what about Partick thistle or Airdrie any players we can snatch?

Why cant we be one of the big teams and poach players from the first division or teams like accies and killie even falkirk as there all in major debt (well killie is). We have a poor squad and without immediate improving and manager, i can see us loosing to the Welsh outfit.

Sad but true

Does anyone agree/disagree? coments will be appreciated.

I get the main point of this thread and also peoples replies not to panic as we have lost key players in the past. But personally i cant remember loosing so many in one go. :( However our saviour could be, touch wood and not counting our chickens to reach the euro group stages which unlike last year i do nott think is an near impossible achievement as long as we play fully to our capabilities.

Personally i feel the futures not bright but its not doomed at the moment its on a knife edge and fully in our hands and well achievable. Il wait for the worst before panicking. I wish any player that moves on to better themselves well. As for MMG i wish him nothing but a plague of a thousand locusts but that's another thread :lol:

Would you rather be following St Mirren, Kilmarnock. Accies, or Falkirk just now? We're in a better position to bring in players than they are.

It is all very well the new manager having some funds to (possibly) spend on a few players. However surely having some Spl experience in your squad is useful. Lets face it how often do we see new players take a while to settle into the pace of the scottish game? :lol:

Aye but who wants to holiday in Kilmarnock?

My point exactly! Many were seduced by the sexy talk of outside income keeping the club going. Load of pish from the outset. Heard it here as well, how we should incorporate things like that into plans for a new stadium, like we've hunners o' tourists n businessmen on expenses jaunts coming tae Motherwell. Home to roost for airy fairy nonsense ideas.

My point exactly! Many were seduced by the sexy talk of outside income keeping the club going. Load of pish from the outset. Heard it here as well, how we should incorporate things like that into plans for a new stadium, like we've hunners o' tourists n businessmen on expenses jaunts coming tae Motherwell. Home to roost for airy fairy nonsense ideas.

I think we are in a good position. The money that is being quoted for Quinn, Clarkson etc is good money and should be taken.

I am sure than JB has realised that a good manager can make a big difference to the club. Average players like Clarkson and Quinn have developed into better players because of the good management of MM. He needs to get this management appointment right and the rest will sort itself out.

I believe that Clarkson and Quinn are replaceable. I also think that more emphasis will be put on some of the younger players to now step up and be counted. I think that a key consideration in JB's appointment proccess will be who can best bring on players without relying upon spending money.

So here is a wild guess at what will happen: New manager appointed, Clarkson, Quinn and maybe Reynolds sold for decent tranfer fees, McLean and Hughes sign again on improved deals, the new man brings in a couple of his tried and trusted players and guys like Murphy, Saunders Sloan etc are asked to step up to the plate.

At least a hotel near the Ravenscraig Stadium would have a chance given the proximity to Strathclyde Park and easy access to the main motorway. Killie have neither of these factors in their favour.

If the entertainment opportunities were enhanced in the planned Ravenscraig townsite, a hotel could work for MFC as long as it were in the budget category similar to a Travelodge. MFC buying a Travelodge franchise with a bar could make sense as it is cheaper than the Holiday Inn competition.

Speaking as a tourist, I almost exclusively choose Travelodge for comfort and value as most hotel prices in UK are ridiculous IMHO. Budget hotels are the wave of the future replacing the now overpriced B & B's that often do not offer value. Travelodge also offer REAL budget prices unlike so called budget prices like Premier Inn etc... They are located in some less than fashionable locales in UK and are sucessful. ( No, I do not own shares in TL , just offering my travel experiences from countless visits ).

A budget hotel near the main motorway would offer a central Scotland location near Glasgow, close to Edinburgh and with easy access to the Borders / England by car and train. I wouldn't write off this idea just yet, as long as it is done properly, it could still work.

Latest developments

Nothing's safe in Motherwell fire sale

Motherwell have reportedly agreed to sell the space at the end of the Phil O'Donnell stand, although sources within Fir Park have remained tight lipped about the destination of the famed gap.

However, chief sports reporter Bawsac McTool understands that Falkirk will be the preferred destination of the "missing quarter", due to the club's record of giving space a chance, although the recent development of a third stand may signal a lengthy stay on the south sideline for the Motherwell stalwart. There has also been speculation that Falkirk have been eyeing the Phil O'Donnell stand space for some time to form one of the corner "P.O'Ds" at the Falkirk Stadium.

With a long history of nothingness, the South West Hole will have plenty of suitors and the Falkirk link may well be a ploy by its agent, Sparky Funk, to drum up interest from other interested parties such as Airdrie's Trophy Cabinet, Elton John's teeth, Paris Hilton's head, and Butlins.

An un-named source within the club, Alan Burrows, commented that he was a great personal friend of the space and that he was a great guy despite his lack of anything, and paid tribute to the gap for his service to the club over two glorious spells (broken by a stint inside Celtic's biscuit tin) but that the time to sell was right, now that the club had abandoned its plans to install a whale tank for Bob Malcolm. He also moved quickly to quash rumours the Motherwell would receive the Falkirk Wheel in return to help Stephen McGarry turn faster.

In other developments, the club will be capitalising on recent success by introducing an away strip made entirely from grass.

We've been run reasonably frugally since coming out of administration. Relegation shouldn't be the terrifying prospect some seem to think it is...

I think you are being optimistic about crowd numbers. For a Div 1 season think mid week League Cup match, ie 3,500 odd.

Also I'll stand by 'Well whatever division they are but I do not want to go INTO a season thinking 'were are going to struggle all season, have regular humping at Fir Park off pish teams and possible get relegated having sold all our best players'.

It's a new season, the great leveller, everyone is on the same points, everyone should go into the first game with hopes.

Our season starts next week and the closer it gets the greater the feeling of dread I get.

It's a new season, the great leveller, everyone is on the same points, everyone should go into the first game with hopes.

Our season starts next week and the closer it gets the greater the feeling of dread I get.

But one thing is guaranteed if the club manages this correctly is that in SEVEN weeks we'll still be on at least the same points as everyone else, so much more could have changed in that time, Hell clubs could even be ten points behind us

Most likely we'll have a new manager and a few new signings as well as a few highly successful youngsters to cheer on every week.

My point exactly! Many were seduced by the sexy talk of outside income keeping the club going. Load of pish from the outset. Heard it here as well, how we should incorporate things like that into plans for a new stadium, like we've hunner's o' tourists n businessmen on expenses jaunts coming tae Motherwell. Home to roost for airy fairy nonsense ideas.

Don't think Dakota just down the road does that badly. It is a prime site (ravenscraig) very close to all major routes and coming off the motorway would be very easy to find.While no where in the same league as Dakota i think there's a niche for the middle of the road punters that don't want to pay huge prices but want something better than a travelodge.

Not looking through claret and Amber specs but this is what id choose Dakota too expensive and travelodge cheap but nasty, middle range comfort and price for me.

is it not the fact that that we are moving players out, no manager, and i would have thought 2 must wins ties over the next four weeks. thats making us all jittery, motherwell do need money to survive not finishing in top 6 cost club 250k or so in lost revenue got to balance books

could the players being moved could be moved on after new boss in place, or the board scared the interested clubs look elsewhere while we appoint ...whoever? But whoever it is will be coming in with depleted squad, not much money to spend and only few weeks to sort it out.

Don't think Dakota just down the road does that badly. It is a prime site (ravenscraig) very close to all major routes and coming off the motorway would be very easy to find.While no where in the same league as Dakota i think there's a niche for the middle of the road punters that don't want to pay huge prices but want something better than a travelodge.

Not looking through claret and Amber specs but this is what id choose Dakota too expensive and travelodge cheap but nasty, middle range comfort and price for me.

What's that down Strathy Park then?

Fact remains we're a fitba' club, stuff like that is best left to the experts in their chosen field.

I'd like to cast your mind back to last season when all these 'star' players got comfortably gubbed twice at home to Kilmarnock's RESERVES lost every game to them. Got put out toothlessly in both cups to mighty Hamilton and St.Mirren im actually quite happy to see a clearout and im certain Jim Gannon will bring better players to our club. We were pants last season worst than St.Mirren which says it all. Im quite excited about watching new players at the Ark next season. BRING IT ON! B-) .