David Clarkson

Juan Kerse

Aye, it isn't fair enough, but how much further (farther?) can he go?

DC is one of those players that splits Well fans right down the middle, don't get me wrong, I'd love him to shine down south, I really would, but I widnae put my mortgage on it happening.

I'm gonna get shot down for this, but personally I think him being Uncle Phil's wee nephew (and what happened with Uncle P) has bought him some time and reignited a passion with the fans to DC for something that perhaps wisnae there in the first place?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye, it isn't fair enough, but how much further (farther?) can he go?

DC is one of those players that splits Well fans right down the middle, don't get me wrong, I'd love him to shine down south, I really would, but I widnae put my mortgage on it happening.

I'm gonna get shot down for this, but personally I think him being Uncle Phil's wee nephew (and what happened with Uncle P) has bought him some time and reignited a passion with the fans to DC for something that perhaps wisnae there in the first place?

I agree with the last part KSS - and it shows what can happen if we give players support instead of pelters.

Big difference of opinion here. I think Clarky will do it - his first touch can at times be poor and he needs to stay on his feet - but other times it's absolutely bang on. He can run at and beat defences - and to say he's just a tap in player is ludicrous. the amount of outside / edge of the box shots and clever chips as well as headers he's scored doesn't bear thinking about. (and how shite was his control just before he slipped it past Peter Cech)

I sometimes wonder if the folks on here actually go to the games.

I'm not saying he's a world beater - but he has the skill and temperament to make a go of it in The Championship.

I'm going to get pelters for this but Ross McCormack is alot better than the player Clarkson will ever become. Clarkson can score a tap in and has work ethic but with that he also has a first touch like a donkey, dives and is persistently offside and cannot deal with defenders with a big stature which is what most defences are in the championship.

More often than not mate I share your opinion on a player. Pretty much spot on again I'd say.

Think he'll score a few as the defences are far from special in the Championship but I think he will be back up the road next summer.

More often than not mate I share your opinion on a player. Pretty much spot on again I'd say.

Think he'll score a few as the defences are far from special in the Championship but I think he will be back up the road next summer.

If he is , lets hope he is back up the road to us :lol:

Perhaps. But don't forget that DC was having a tremendous season under McGhee. He was transformed with good players around him up front and scored one of the most majestic goals I have ever seen in the very game you suggest made him a fans favourite for tragic reasons only.

Don't forget that.

Ok, his relationship to Phil and what the club went through no doubt strengthened the bond between the fans and Davie - but to suggest there was nothing there to strengthen is folly of the highest order. He was OUR player for a start and scored 13 goals when he was 17!! How is that nothing?

I agree with the last part KSS - and it shows what can happen if we give players support instead of pelters.

Big difference of opinion here. I think Clarky will do it - his first touch can at times be poor and he needs to stay on his feet - but other times it's absolutely bang on. He can run at and beat defences - and to say he's just a tap in player is ludicrous. the amount of outside / edge of the box shots and clever chips as well as headers he's scored doesn't bear thinking about. (and how shite was his control just before he slipped it past Peter Cech)

I sometimes wonder if the folks on here actually go to the games.

I'm not saying he's a world beater - but he has the skill and temperament to make a go of it in The Championship.

Mr Diggle, I dunno whether that was a personal dig at me or not, but I'm the kinda guy that takes things that way when I read them...I'm gonna be big enough to admit that NO I DON'T go to the games much, I go if and when I can afford it, but not week in / week out....so if you win that particular pissing contest, well done.

BUT...I really think have seen enough of Clarkson over tha years and games I have to stand by my comments.

I sometimes wonder if the folks on here are actually allowed an opinion that differs from you.

How fucking dare you Cakes?

Not at all, I did try Buckfast once...but puked up after the second mouthful...fuckin' awful sheeyight so it was....anyway, ye' can buy a bottle o' merlot, shiraz or cabernet sauvignon in most drop out offies cheaper than Bucky these days..............(rumour has it?)........

Can we get back on topic please, where were we?

Aw aye, I'm a fraudster fuckpig that disnae go tae games........

Please continue....

First off, great result against the Albanians and the Welsh - up against the big boys now !

And Ruddy is a very decent keeper - did us a huge favour when he joined us on a friday night for a game at Carlisle next day. We had to win that game to keep the pressure on others with about 4 games to go for promotion to the championship. He was outstanding and helped us win - always be remembered by us. And I think he kept 11 or 12 clean sheets on the trot for Stockport setting a league record.

Anyway, David Clarkson...

Fitted in very well, scored a few pre-season so far (against minor teams other than Braga from Potugals premiership) and looks like he's going to be playing a bit deeper than the other striker linking up with midfield.

Works hard and puts a tackle in, but looked like he had a head shaped like a 50p when putting a couple of headers off target.

Not seen any evidence of not staying on his feet yet - if he starts that, Johnson will be on his case as he hates it and there are very few divers in the championship, they're all in the EPL.

Low key start but he's finding his feet down here, I think he'll be more than ok and score a few for us.

Saw something on another thread re McCormack and how he's twice the player that Clarkson is - MY ARSE.

He scored about 8 goals in open play last season - Cardiff had 15 penalties awarded and McCormack scored 10 or 11 of 'em and a couple or three free kicks. Ended the season on the bench.

We got the better all round team player in Clarkson which is what we are all about.

Best of luck for the season, we'll be looking out for your results and I'll come back later into the season to let you know how Clarkson is doing - whether you want me to or not !

Thanks, BCFC. I'm a big Clarky fan and was sorry to see him go, although I accept the time was probably right, from his point of view, for him to move on. I've never been especially interested in pursuing the careers of players in any serious way once they've left Motherwell but it's always good to get the odd update from time to time.

Clarkson's work rate is first class, and that's probably why his new boss is tempted to play him a little deeper. Personally, I think he is more valuable playing in the traditional front 2 role, but I imagine that will also depend on the shape that Johnson is wanting his team play.

I think it's fair to say that McCormack has a more natural talent that Clarky and Clarky is a much (much) harder worker and more of a team player than McCormack.

Opinion is certainly divided among the 'Well fans as to which one was better.