The Best Myths And Worst Rumours

fizoxy

As with most football clubs we've been involved in plenty of rumours which didn't quite come true, and some that supposedly were true but were actually just made up.

There's the infamous myths that we actually turned down Ole Gunnar Solksjaer, Sami Hyypia, and Gus Hiddink, when we could never have afforded them in the first place.

I'm also sure that we were once linked with Paul Gascoigne, with the deal being he could get half the gate receipts or something, but that may just be my imagination.

So what's the most ridiculous MFC rumour you can remember?

There's the infamous myths that we actually turned down Ole Gunnar Solksjaer, Sami Hyypia, and Gus Hiddink, when we could never have afforded them in the first place.

Solskjaer was at Molde, and Hyypia was at Mypa47 - we could have afforded them at that time! Unfortunately I don't believe these are "myths".

Ole Gunnar Solksjaer was being chased by McLeish but we couldnt afford the fee of roughly £500k so we never went any further.

It is rumoured that he applied for the 'Well job in the early 90's while with Valencia but I dont really know about that one.

Sami Hyppia played against us for Mypa and with the Harri Kampman connection I wouldnt have ruled that out but dont mind reading anything at the time about him signing.

The Paul Gascoigne one did hit the press when Boyle was spending his millions. I remember it on the back page with him dressed in his fishing gear!

Jari Litmanen.

Would have absolutely loved if that had been for real. Maybe not the most successful football player of all time but one of the most naturally gifted. Was an absolute pleasure watching him play football.

I thought when he went to Liverpool he was going to be a revelation but it never quite happened.

Ole Gunnar Solksjaer was being chased by McLeish but we couldnt afford the fee of roughly £500k so we never went any further.

It is rumoured that he applied for the 'Well job in the early 90's while with Valencia but I dont really know about that one.

Sami Hyppia played against us for Mypa and with the Harri Kampman connection I wouldnt have ruled that out but dont mind reading anything at the time about him signing.

The Paul Gascoigne one did hit the press when Boyle was spending his millions. I remember it on the back page with him dressed in his fishing gear!

Don't think it was even that much for Solksjaer.

I heard numerous versions including one with another player being involved but we had to take Solksjaer also and we either didn't fancy him or couldn't afford both.

Believe Hiddink was out of a job when he supposedly expressed an interest.

Aye it was £28000 a week he wis going to be getting. Some of it would've paid out of gate receipts.

Don't think it was even that much for Solksjaer.

I heard numerous versions including one with another player being involved but we had to take Solksjaer also and we either didn't fancy him or couldn't afford both.

Believe Hiddink was out of a job when he supposedly expressed an interest.

I remember hearing that McLeish had the funds for either Solskjaer or Falconer. No surprises that Ginger Baws made an arse of it. Did Walter Zenga not chuck his hat into the ring for the manager's job at some stage?

Wasnt Solskjaer just one name among about 1000 on a list of available players faxed by agents to us and a (large) number of other clubs and thats as far as it went ?

Im pretty sure McLeish had ever heard of him nevermind scouted him , chased him or had him put up at the Moorings while he trained and we had a look at him as ive read on here before

I always thought it was Leo Beenhakker rather than Guus Hiddink who was the Dutchman interested in us before McLeish was appointed.

Also seem to remember McLeish weighing up then deciding a move against Neil McCann before he went to Hearts. Hardly the best rumour. More "a rumour" in the grand scheme of things but there you go. :unsure:

Yes i believe that McLeish said we'd received a fax with various players mentioned that went onto bigger things in the Premiership - we just couldn't afford or didn't follow up due to size of list of players.

I believe it was Guus himself who declared that he applied for the job when McLean left the club but don't believe he got interviewed. Think it was mentioned in an interview with either the Record or the Sun.

Solskjaer was on trial as part of a double deal with Ronny Johnsen. Fee was between £500k - £700k, McLeish said he`d sign Johnsen on his own but Solskjaer was too wee to be a good striker. As it had to be both he said he couldnt justify the fee just cause he wanted Johnsen. 18 months later Man Utd signed them for £1.5m and they went on to become 2 of the best players in the Premiership :huh:

Sami Hyypia was definately true, came on trial but we didnt want to pay the fee, heard as much from the man himself as my ex`s best mate was a "close friend" of his a while back.

And Guus Hiddink said himself in an interview not too long ago that he applied for the Well job and spoke to Chapman but his vision for the club was deemed "too radical" so instead we went for the safe option and employed Alex McLeish and let him squander almost £2m on such stars as Andy Roddie,Scott Howie, John Henry,Shaun McSkimming + Stevie Woods :lol:

Solskjaer was on trial as part of a double deal with Ronny Johnsen. Fee was between £500k - £700k, McLeish said he`d sign Johnsen on his own but Solskjaer was too wee to be a good striker. As it had to be both he said he couldnt justify the fee just cause he wanted Johnsen. 18 months later Man Utd signed them for £1.5m and they went on to become 2 of the best players in the Premiership :mellow:

Rubbish

edit : and thats before ive read the rest of it which doesnt sound much better at first glance ! :lol:

Rubbish

edit : and thats before ive read the rest of it which doesnt sound much better at first glance ! :mellow:

I do believe the Solskjaer + Johnsen thing and have heard it from a few people, but that is the 1 part open to question,still with big ecks eye for players I wouldnt put it past him.

Hyypia and Hiddink is definately fact!!