How Many Of You Diehards Go To Reserve Games Etc ?

trafficlight

27years or so ago, when I still lived in the town, I used to go watch them training down the Ashy and/or the Gresham.

Participated in many a game of head tennis with Bruce Cleland, Willie Irvine, Stuart Rafferty, Brian McLaughlan, and a very young Gary McAllister, etc., Buggarz used to spunge a lift back up to Fir Park afterwards. :lol:

I used to watch them im the '70's as I had to work on a Saturday morning it was hopeless trying to get to away games, and with the pubs shut in the afternoon it was a case of going home to watch the wrestling on telly or traipsing up to Fir Park and watching the reserves. Then in the '80's my mates dad, who would stop to watch a game of football in the street, a Motherwell fan who's son turned to the dark side (Rangers) used to give me a call if he was going to watch the reserves and at that time Gary McAllister was just making the breakthrough and he was tremendous to watch. Then in the '90's when I stayed in Cleland I tried to watch as many matches as possible and often I would just jump on the 93 and nip into Fir Park and watch the reserves.

I wouldn't knock it.

I made a few reserve games back in the late 90s. The Main Stand on a Monday night (was it Monday nights?) must be one of the coldest stands in Scottish fitba when it's mostly empty....

Was good fun spotting the managers from other teams checking out the players.

I also remember when we took reserve games to Airdrie for a spell - and the general manager at the time being pretty nasty to some boy in front of me as he couldn't get in for free with his season ticket. "It's not my stadium" he kept telling the boy - even though this boy had been telt on the phone by a club employee he'd get in for free.

One big regret - missing Faddy's goal in a reserve game at Fir Park when he waltzed past about 4 (or was it 40?) players and scored a peach. My mate was there though - sod.....!

Aye - so once I was a diehardish fan - but life, wife and all the weans have knocked that out of me for the time being.

Been to a few reserve/U-19 matches but didn't make to one for two seasons I think.

I think I'm right in saying they don't play them at Fir Park anymore which is one of the reasons I've not seen one lately.

I remember once against Dunfermline, Sean Fagan went in pretty hard on the then unknown Nicky Phinn. Phinn's parents were sitting just behind me and his mum went mental at the tackle. "Who was that!?" she said and consulted the team sheet "I'll Sean Fagan him!". She then proceeded down to the front of the stand screaming "Don't you hit my wee boy, you listening Fagan!" style patter down on to the pitch.

Must have been a beamer for the guy! :nod:

Was fortunate enough to be on a break for a few months a couple of years back so used to go free with the old season vouchers. Good stuff, managed to talk the guy at the turnstile into letting me take a flask into the game, first and only time I've had decent coffee at FP :P

I use to go regularly to the reserve game when they were played at fir park (those were the days) but the last few seasons I've only been to a hand full of games mainly down to the location of where they were being played.

I really enjoy watching the reserves, as I can plug myself into my ipod and see the next crop of talent developing.

Normally it doesn't cost anything or I've used the voucher in the back of my season book but I have been charged when I went to see a game against Hamilton (only a couple of quid).

For about probably 8 or 9 years in my youth reserve games and BP Youth Cup games at Fir Park with my Dad were an essential part of supporting the 'Well.

These days I think I have to go back a couple of seasons to my last game that being an U19 game against Rangers at Bellshill.

Lots of good memories from them. Seeing a goalkeeper score against us when we played Airdrie at Broomfield - then Sieb almost doing the same in the 2nd half.......seeing the youths beat Dalbeattie Star 10-1.........the year they entered the Reserve League West and hammered everyone about 9-0.........We went to Stirling one Thursday and drew 2-2, played them again a fortnight later, again at Stirling and I couldn't go and we won something like 14-0.......and just about every midweek game being rounded off with a hamburger supper from Sals in Carfin on the way back to Chapelhall!

Perhaps the best reserve I've seen was in between the two semis against Celtic in 1991 when we played Rangers at Fir Park. Very strong wind behind Rangers saw them go something like 4-1 up at one point which we turned around in the second half to win 6-5 with McGrillen scoring four and Cusack playing at centre-half.

Not been to a reserve game in quite a while. Think one of the last one's i was at was when they were played at FP on a Monday night. Bathgate and Shotts are quite difficult places to get to, especially on a Tuesday afternoon due to work commitments.

Used to go regularley years ago when games were at fir park. Was at M/Well College at the time and was mates with Burkie ( John Burke ) who played with the reserves, never really made it into the first team.

Used to go over to Fir Park with him after the College when he had training or a game and played pool to pass the time. He manage to obtain a pair of Gordon Soutars shorts for me, hence the name, Happy Days.

Used to go regularly when the games were midweek and at FP.

Saw some cracking games and it was great for getting to know who was coming through the ranks etc...

Unfortunately with these games now being played here, there and everywhere, usually with a lunchtime KO i don't get to any at all. It's a real pity.

I remember running about the main stand, sitting in the posh seats and there was never a queue at the pie stall. Ah, they were the days ! :notworthy:

Just read this in the Scotsman:

"Scottish Premier League clubs will be allowed to opt out of having a reserve side next season after governing laws were changed.

It was decided at the SPL's agm at Hampden that participation in the SPL Reserve League for 2009/10 would be optional, with many sides expected to opt out.

An SPL spokesman said: "We are currently in discussions with the clubs about who will be entering a team for the coming season and a fixture list will follow in due course.""

Wonder if we'll stay in?