How Many Of You Diehards Go To Reserve Games Etc ?

trafficlight

Last reserve game I went to was in 1991 it was a Reserve Cup Final Motherwell V Dundee UTD I stay in Dundee now and got though on my mates Dundee Utd Supporters Bus sure we scored first but lost Tom Boyd was making his come back from injury he was played to see if he was fit for the Scottish Cupl Final can any of the stattos tell the score and date of the game

Went to 90% the 19`s games last year & about 50% of the reserves.

The 19`s play at shotts, & Dalziel and the reserves play at Cremery Park Bathgate, but sometimes depending on the weather both will play wherever available.

Best game i seen last year was the cup game against Rangers at Fir Park (lost 4-3). 19`s only play at FP in cup.

99% of the reserve/19`s are free, sometimes will ask for £1 donation to get into cup games.

Would certainly recommend coming along to watch the boys who are coming through. Personally i think the 19`s will be a lot weaker this year, if Slane, McHugh, Saunders are going to be staying with the 1st team, but Youngy

knows what he`s doing, so hopefully got some replacements lined up. There are quite a few boys that are doing well with Scotland, so it really bares well (i hope) for the Well over the next few years.

When I was at school (back in the 80's) I used to go to quite a lot of the reserve games. One memorable one was Mark Caughey scoring a hat-trick against Celtic in a Cup game and giving the two finger salute to the Celtic fans in the crowd! :rolleyes:

Also, dogging school for a Tuesday afternoon game and a wee spell in the Big Apple amusements was the dugs danglies.

Last reserve game I went to was in 1991 it was a Reserve Cup Final Motherwell V Dundee UTD I stay in Dundee now and got though on my mates Dundee Utd Supporters Bus sure we scored first but lost Tom Boyd was making his come back from injury he was played to see if he was fit for the Scottish Cupl Final can any of the stattos tell the score and date of the game

I was at that game.

Think we lost 2-1, not sure about the exact date but it was midweek just before 91 cup final. Possibly May 8th or 15th.

Went to quite a few last season and the one before. Was often on a day off on a Tuesday, and went along to Hannah park in Shotts a few times as well as the Ark( getting mixed up which season now).Saw Paul Keegan and the wee Irish winger play out their skin v ICT reserves; Ian McCall was watching and signed Keegan. The Well first team were watching and were pissing themselves laughing at the winger(cant mind his name) run himself into the ground to impress. Quite a nice day out if you like watchin a bit of footy and listening to the banter!

I was at that game.

Think we lost 2-1, not sure about the exact date but it was midweek just before 91 cup final. Possibly May 8th or 15th.

A quick check of the trusty old Scottish Football League Review gives the following.

9th May 1991 Fir Park

Motherwell 1-2 Dundee Utd

Scorers: McGrillen;Welsh,Connolly

Motherwell: Ainslie;Tannock(Brown),Boyd,Dolan,Paterson,McLean,Bryce(O'Neill),McLeod,Cusack,Reilly,McGrillen

Dundee Utd:

Thomson;Cleland,Steinmann,Johnson,Welsh,Narey,Connolly,Bowman,O'Neill,Paatelainen,Preston.Subs not used: Bollan and Dailly

Ref. C.L.Ross(Edinburgh). Att: 1,600

Dundee Utd put out a strong side,certainly in midfield in attack. What happened to Stevie Bryce after leaving Motherwell,I seem to recall him being quite highly rated or am I imagining things.

A wee bit of nostalgia.

Does any of the other older fans out there remember The Probables V The Possibles.

These were games played usually at the end of July before any friendlies,usually a Wednesday night, the gates were opened so you could just wander in and before under-19's,under18's etc.

The Probables( First team) played against The Possibles( Reserves and Trialists) although at half time and the game could be stopped and changes made.

I might be remembering through C&A tinted spectacles but I seem to remember warm Summer nights, pie and Bovril with no waiting, chatting to players and a lot of banter, especially at some of the trialists.