161 members have voted

1. 1. Where will it all end up

• Top Six
    • Bottom Six
    • Relegation
    • 3rd place
    • League title or champions league place
    • First cup win since 91

If we get the right signings in then we will finish 3rd.

If not we will at least be in the top 6.

I just think Gannons postive approach is what makes me confident.

I know we've lost to Llanelli and Flamaturi but come on lads be honest when was the last time we played a 4-2-3-1 formation, when was the last time Motherwell (Craigan mainly) keep the ball on the deck all game.

Those factors and the fact we're bringing in wingers to play with width.

I think we just need to take on board what the stockport fans said, he plays football the right way and will try new things, but i think these new things will work.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know we've lost to Llanelli and Flamaturi but come on lads be honest when was the last time we played a 4-2-3-1 formation, when was the last time Motherwell (Craigan mainly) keep the ball on the deck all game.

I think we just need to take on board what the stockport fans said, he plays football the right way and will try new things, but i think these new things will work.

I know what you're saying mate. It's a system that with the right players could work wonders in the SPL, especially against dross like St Mirren & Hamilton Accies.

Given time, I reckon you could be right that Gannon could have us doing well - but I think he will still need time to get to that point. McGhee fucked off leaving us in a complete state and although the early signs are looking relatively positive, it's still going to take time for him to get a settled squad and repair the damage done when the Whore headed up North.

Whether he can do that in one pre-season, or whether it will take most of next season remains to be seen.

Personally, I think we should be happy avoiding relegation next season and look forward to the Gannon Revolution in 2010/11!

Again I do agree with you to a certain extent mate, the only difference being I just think that Gannon's ideas seem like they will have us in a position to maybe push for a european place in a couple of seasons time.

When McGhee came in we hadnt even been trying to play football at that point, and so in hindsight it was a relatively easy task to provide a dramatic and instant improvement. Those type of short-term fix's never really last though, and what seems to be happening under Gannon is a complete re-birth from the ground up. Changes like that take a long time to get into the bones of the players, but once its there it stays.

Thats why I'll be over the moon with a comfortable 7th/8th/9th place finish this season, because I think the changes that are being made and they way they are being implemented will mean that we could potentially have a good, solid top 6 finish the season after that, and in the future actually  be in a strong position to push for a little bit of (relative) success that has substance and depth to it, rather than just a flash in the pan surprise season.

Bottom 6 in a rebuilding first season. Top six finish and a decent cup run next year!

That's where my money would go. Huge changes in personnel for the new manager to cope with, and though no doubt he'll bring in a few players before the season starts, it won't be easy to make top six for 'Well this season. I think Gannon will prove an excellent appointment and will do a fine job once he's had time to build his own team and get them playing as he wants. I predict 8th place, comfortably clear of relegation in 2009/10 then a much better subsequent season.

I think Rangers and Cletic will actually be split this yeat (Celtic to win, Rangers in 3rd). Could we be the team to split them? If we get lucky as we did 2 years ago with injuries/suspensions then who knows?

No chance.

Even if we did keep our best 11 fit and somehow at the peak of their form, talk of splitting the Old Firm is way beyond what we should expect from this Motherwell team.

Nae Clarkson, Porter, McCormack, Paterson, Hughes, Buzz, McLean, Lappin or O'Donnell either!

I think Rangers and Cletic will actually be split this yeat (Celtic to win, Rangers in 3rd). Could we be the team to split them? If we get lucky as we did 2 years ago with injuries/suspensions then who knows?

'Well to finish above Rangers ?! Have you been in a Chicago bar all day, haggis ? :nod:

'Well to finish above Rangers ?! Have you been in a Chicago bar all day, haggis ? :nod:

Think it's possible. Don't think it's LIKELY but I think it's possible. But only if everything goes our way - and that's happened before. I actually think we will do quite well this year and will be a surprise package. I don't see Aberdeen or Hearts doing as well as they did, I think Falkirk and Hibs will swap directions with each other and Dundee Utd will be better than last year. last year I thought they'd do well but they seemed to sputter - maybe they have peaked and are starting on the downslope now?

Think some people on here have been out in the sun too long. Agreed that both the h**s and Sellic will be poor/boring, but have no doubt they will still finish 20 points ahead of the rest. Much as it pains me to say it, the only team that looks like they could split them is Hearts, depending on the quality of some of the unknowns they have signed.

Dundee United will have another comfortable season - 4th or 5th at best. They are miles behind the Old Scum though and have some key players (Spanish striker for a start) out injured.

Hibs have signed dross and cast offs. Surprised they didn't keep Rosas who looked like a player against us at Easter Road. Out of our price range?? With Riordan they do have a quality player though who will score and create goals.

Aberdeen - really hope they have a god awful season after the state MM left us in. Like others on here though I suspect he will improve the form of a lot of their underperforming but half decent players. Hope they get relegated right enough.

Falkirk/St Mirren/Killie likely to be safe. Nothing more, nothing less. Killie will definately stay up if they keep Kyle who had a great end to the season.

Hamilton are the ones to struggle for me. Just lost the traitor who was well on his way to being a very very good player. They have also lost a good left back, 2 half decent strikers and might lose their other decent midfielder.

Us? God only knows. Would take safety right now although with the heart ruling the head, will dare to dream of better things - perhaps top 6 and a decent cup run. As it stands though, we must have one of the thinest squads and will have to sign another 5 players at least. Keeper, right back, (big) centre half, creative midfielder and at least one striker. I don't think for a second we will not make a number of additions to the squad before the big kick off, but if we didn't we would be relegation material.

In Gannon we trust!

It all depends on who we sign during the next month before the season kicks off, but I honestly think we are in for a bit of a bottom six scrap in season 09/10 and I'd take survival from relegation right now. During this summer we have lost our manager - and let's not kid ourselves here, McGhee was a good manager for us - and several key players like Clarkson, Quinn, Smith, Hughes & Klimpl to add to the loss of McCormack last summer and Chris Porter in January. You can't lose players like that and not expect to struggle so Mr Gannon really does have a task on his hands to keep us in the SPL, although the early signs appear to be promising as our new boss certainly talks a good game so here's hoping he can sort out our threadbare squad.

We need to be realistic, a top six finish and especially a European placed finish is highly unlikely as there are three, possibly four other sides who are far better equipped than ourselves to do that. On the other hand though, there are also a good few sides who are no better, if not worse off than we are and I expect to see Kilmarnock, St.Mirren and Accies struggle this season aswell. A great deal hinges on the transfer activity between now and the transfer window at the end of August.

Not too sure what to expect this year. To be honest I dont really want to have too high expectations as we are really going to have a young team and that could put to much pressure on them.

First and foremost I want to finish above St Mirren.... anything else is a bonus and the following years take it from there. A nice little run in a cup would be nice aswell.

I'd be 'happy' with a similar season to last, bottom six but no real relegation anxiety.

I honestly don't see how any of the provincial clubs are going to break into the Top Six this season as most of them have more or less been strip mined of their playing staffs (Us, Hamilton, Falkirk, Kilmarnock etc) are newly promoted (St Johnstone) or weren't very good in the first place (St. Mirren).

The Top 6 will almost certainly be the 6 city clubs and it will be left to the others to scrap it out in the bottom six.

I also have my doubts about the ability of lower league players from England to cut it in the SPL. Since it looks like we might have a team full of them next season that could be a problem.

We'll see what happens but right now I'd rather have lower expectations and hopefully be surprised than expect too much and be disappointed but I can see the bottom six being a really tough, dog eat dog mini division with hardly anything between the teams.

I've not been on the booze or at the wacky baccy. But I agree with Haggis.

If Mr. Gannon gets the players he's after then I think we're in for a great season.

He does not have the same mindset as the other SPL managers who have a great fear of being at the bottom of the league and losing their jobs.I think we will see a confident team playing on the deck which will bring it's own rewards.

The boss wont have the same fear or respect for the H**s or Sc*m and judging from last season they can be beat if you get in their faces and stop them playing, their defences are very vulnerable, especially if you have players with pace. Too many managers play to keep the score down rather than having a go.

I am optimistic. Judging by the reports from Stockport, we have a manager who with a few new faces will bring a breath of fresh air not only too Motherwell but to the whole SPL.

So get behind the team 100%,strap yourselves in,here we go again.

ENJOY THE PARTY :blink::O:cheers:

I actually think we under estimate how our league is viewed in other nations. Players in league 1 and 2 see the SPL as a huge step up in terms of profile and quality of football.

They will be looking at guys like McCormack, O'Conner, Beattie, McFadden, Easton, Gordon and McCarthy and thinking if I perform well in the SPL I could be playing in the EPL in a few years.

When you look at how many players are leaving the SPL and going on to bigger things then we must say we are doing something right up here.

All depends on how good the players that Gannon signs really are though.

Of course i hope we win the league but thats not realistic.

Top 4 will be the old filth and Dundee Utd and Hearts.

Probably 1 Celic, Jambos, United gers.

Mid table will be a scrap between dons, Well, Hibs, St.Mirren.

Bottom 4 will be a scrap between accies, Falkirk, st Johnston and Killie bottom

Top 4 too strong for the rest of SPL, Celtic and Dundee bringing in good players, hearts stable with good manager and rangers skint, selling dead wood.

Bottom, Accies loosing too many key players, falkirk pish poor st johnstone will always be favourites to go down and Killie who are no hopers.

Mid table will be a scrap, each team eavinly matched so we will have a dogfight for 5th, but could end up in 8th.

I dont think we will end up in bottom 4, i would be shocked if we did.

I think we will scrape into the top six this season. Although we have lost a good few players i think by the time the season starts we will have a good blend of youth and experience that will be enough to make a serious impact in the SPL.

Not only that but the competitive games we have had will only benefit us.

The most important thing for us to do for a successful season is make sure we get a good solid start and pick up points early on, otherwise we will faulter like we did last season.

Im really looking forward to the first game up at Perth. Cannae wait min!! :blink:

I think we will scrape into the top six this season. Although we have lost a good few players i think by the time the season starts we will have a good blend of youth and experience that will be enough to make a serious impact in the SPL.

Not only that but the competitive games we have had will only benefit us.

The most important thing for us to do for a successful season is make sure we get a good solid start and pick up points early on, otherwise we will faulter like we did last season.

Im really looking forward to the first game up at Perth. Cannae wait min!! :blink:

Nearly everyone I know is quite excited about the first game at Perth (including me). I have a feeling we will take a decent support up there. If it was anything like the last time we were up I think it would be fantastic. I'd even take the same scoreline :wacko: