Motherwell Vs Ks Flamurtari

jonnymfc

Todays Sun

Hutchison flicked on a Forbes free kick to make it 6-0 in the 37th minute.

Bewildered right back Beqiri, taken to the cleaners by Slane, was promptly hooked.

But it was like rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic.

Humphrey was also given a shock insight into the expectations of the Well fans when, despite the scoreline, he was given pelters for not passing the ball. You had to laugh. But the club's previous manager wouldn't have been smiling if he'd been present - the jubilant Well supporters chanted: "Are you watching Mark McGhee?" A bit harsh perhaps.

:lol::rolleyes:B-)

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Superb performance albeit against a pretty poor side. Thought Jennings was about half a stone overweight and will benefit from a hard pre season but I think he'll do well for us in the middle of the park once he's fit. Humphreys was a bit light weight at times but is a flying machine and will do some damage if he gets his shooting boots on. Forbes and Slane were excellent and Hutchison isn't scared to put his head where it hurts. Thought Sutton had an excellent game without getting on the scoresheet but won lots of headers and linked the play really well. Craggs is out his depth with all these short passing plays :rolleyes:

Hopefully JG can get a goalkeeper, centre half and another striker in before the deadline. Maybe a bit optimistic on that front? Anyway, great to see the young ones doing so well and if we're able to bring in a bit of experience we might do OK this season :lol:

Special mention must be for Sutton who himself didn't get on the score sheet, but played one of his best games in a Motherwell shirt. Outstanding.

Totally agree. He made last night happen. Won everything that came to him. Linked well with Slane and Murphy and allowed them to play their game. Murphy up top with Sutton playing further back looked good. Wonder if we'll try it again!

Well that was fuckin unreal! Slane was magic and looks a real star, as does Forbes. Speechless after watching that but I'm sure this word describes it all

They both looked excellent - but I have a pertinent question - what is their contract situation at the club? I assume both are under contract?? If so for how long?? If not we could end up losing them fairly promptly.

I know that Flamurtari were a poor side but, as I said to someone last night, I think we've all seen Motherwell struggle against poor sides before (think Alloa, Ayr United, East Fife) so to go about our business in the way we did was refreshing.

Some people have criticised the defence last night. Fair enough, there were a few mix ups but bear in mind it was the first time that back four had ever played together. O'Brien wasn't great, but it was his first game at right back for us and he at least had the pace to get himself out of any bother he got himself into. I'm not suggesting that he's going to make a Paterson-like transformation into a full back but last night he stuck to his task manfully. Also involved in one of the highlights of the night for me. When we took Slane off and brought Page on, O'Brien moved to the left wing, I turned to Mitch and said "We're like f***ing Ajax 1970s, our right back is away to play on the left wing, total football".

Forbes and Slane were superb. It makes a mockery of someone (with a big face) last season saying how our lack of squad depth was responsible for poor form in November. McShovelface talked about giving Slane his chance. Forbes never got a look in. Gannon has come in and they've played four competitive games, not letting themselves down. What has he seen that our previous manager couldn't? I'm not going to burden Slane with the new McFadden tag, but he has some of the same qualities; cocky, ball hungry, aggressive, fearless. Forbes ooozes class. I can't think of a Motherwell player, but he reminds me of a young Barry Ferguson, comfortable on the ball, seems to glide about the park, yet willing to get stuck in.

Murphy seems to have a bit of his confidence back. I must confess I'm not sure if he has the physique to progress in the game, but last night he certainly took his chance.

The two new guys did alright. I thought Jennings looked solid and did a lot of unglamourous stuff really well. Humphrey did OK, but I get the impression the game might have been a bit too early for him. In the case of both of them, it was obvious that the other players' preseason had started earlier.

Sutton. Given the stick he's taken recently (some from me), I take my hat off to the guy. And to Gannon for playing him in the centre of his three attacking midfielders. Stroke of genius. Won every header he went for, and his flick ons were raced on to by Slane, Murphy and Humphrey. He was at the centre of all our best attacking play. Shame the big man couldn't get a goal, but he was my man of the match. Certainly made me doubt my assertion that he couldn't contribute to the team in the same way that Porter did. Tol sound like Andy Gray, take a bow, son.

All in all, a good night at the office...

Forbes and Slane were superb. It makes a mockery of someone (with a big face) last season saying how our lack of squad depth was responsible for poor form in November. McShovelface talked about giving Slane his chance. Forbes never got a look in. Gannon has come in and they've played four competitive games, not letting themselves down. What has he seen that our previous manager couldn't? I'm not going to burden Slane with the new McFadden tag, but he has some of the same qualities; cocky, ball hungry, aggressive, fearless. Forbes ooozes class. I can't think of a Motherwell player, but he reminds me of a young Barry Ferguson, comfortable on the ball, seems to glide about the park, yet willing to get stuck in.

To be fair Slane is still quite slight just now , he may have even been a good bit smaller last season , our pitch wouldnt have helped him and throwing in a 16yr old winger when on a bad run and looking for a saviour isnt something many managers would do.

Both have played well and could do a job when the league starts , particularly Slane IMO , Forbes im not so sure about , brilliant last night but the space and time Llanelli and that mob last night gave our midfield isnt going to be there in the SPL.

Hopefully both are given time to develope and not laden with unrealistic expectations. Tin hat on , i think some folk are going overboard on what we've seen so far.

This Euro thing has turned out as well as we couldve expected though. Confidence is high , we've made a few quid , its ensured we've took pre season seriously and theres no real shame if we go out now.

Well done the team last night , put themselves in the history books with a performance that deserved it.

Oh and just noticed Slane wasnt born when we won the cup , i feel old :huh:

Where do you start ? Outstanding, awesome, sublime, breathtaking, incredible.......

Simply the best performance I have ever seen from a Motherwell side - backing up great play with great goals and totally destroying an opponent. The young guns were out of this world - Slane and Forbes look to be incredibly special, Murphy came of age last night and Hutchinson was a revelation. Incredible to think that all of the youngsters who played last night were all part of the squad in the SPL last season, and with the exception of Murphy none of them ever got a sniff of a game and sat on the bench - possibly the odd brief sub appearance but that would be it.

Tactically, Jim Gannon played a blinder last night. Big game, change in formation and personnel - we lived through that last season and each time it failed. Last night, Gannon delivered and like the previous poster I think John Boyle and the board deserve enormous credit for the appointment.

Of the new signings, both looked like they will be excellent additions to the team - Jennings is probably a week or two away from full match fitness and certainly came onto a game as the night progressed. Humphrey looks very skilfull and I think we'll see a lot of good play from him.

Wouldn't get too worried about Hammell being dropped - that was all about Gannon's tactics, as was the decision to play O'Brien at right back - ok, he looked uncomfortable but he was still able to get forward, which was obviously what the boss (or as I now call him The New Special One) wanted.

Special mention for John Sutton - best game in a Motherwell shirt - would love him to have scored but sadly not to be - he did win everything which came his way and his link work was superb.

The transformation in the weeks since the defeat by Llanelli has been amazing and the emergence of the young guys is fantastic. I think we can now look forward with great anticipation.

Before last night the tie against Steaua worried me slightly - yes, they will probably be a better side, and they have a strong European history......but there is a reason that they entered the Europa League in the second round, so if we take last night's performance into the next round there is no reason why we should feel that anything is beyond us.

Oh.....we need a new goalkeeper.

But what a night.......still cannot quite believe it. The absolute bedlam when we scored, pandemonium when we went ahead on aggregate and the unbridled delirium when each subsequent goal went it..........great time to be a Well fan !

Stuart.

Hopefully both are given time to develope and not laden with unrealistic expectations. Tin hat on , i think some folk are going overboard on what we've seen so far.

As I said earlier, I'm well aware that the teams we've played so far have been poor, but no poorer than some sides that have knocked some experienced Motherwell teams out of cups before. And last night was one of those nights when everything clicked into place. That won't happen every week. No one is saying we're going to do this, or achieve that, but I think it's fair enough to sing the praises of young guys who've done everything that's been asked of them (and one would argue) more.

On the point of Forbes needing time on the ball, he needs no more than Stephen Hughes or any other creative player does. Whether he's able to create that time and space for himself, time will tell. But I don't imagine that he had loads of time in the hurly burly of the lower leagues with Dumbarton. We also have Jennings, who on last night's evidence, may be able to protect him a wee bit, buy him that space.

If we can't go a wee bit over the top after an 8-1 win, then when. The realism will come back again soon enough. We just need to make sure that we don't criticise these guys if they don't live up every week to the high standards they have set themselves...

When we took Slane off and brought Page on, O'Brien moved to the left wing, I turned to Mitch and said "We're like f***ing Ajax 1970s, our right back is away to play on the left wing, total football".

Melvin, were you sitting in the main stand, in line with the 18 yard box where the goals were scored first half? On the passageway about 3/4 of the way back ? I think my father and I were sitting behind you. You made a comment at 3-0 about getting 5-0 up at half time and getting the cigars out. Certainly the guys in front of me were praising Sutton to the hilt as well!

Stuart.

ambjkgord34.jpg

I'd list the positives but they've already been said over and over. Threads full of I THINK TONIGHTS PERFORMENCE WAS GOOD are real good stuff. :huh:

And I'm reporting you for personal abuse! :notworthy:

Shit, almost forgot... *applauds*

Fair dos I was pissed last night and was out of order I shouldn't have resorted to personal Insults. I apologise for that.

However I still think anyone one who found something to moan about last night needs to take a good look at themselves.

Goals were on Sky Sports News this morning.

Forbes' second looks even better when you see it back. As someone said he does look like a young Ferguson. Just needs to bulk up a bit, but that will come in time.

Jennings had a nightmare start but after that got stuck in. If I remeber correctly he picked out Slane with a cracking pass for his goal. Once he is fully fit will be a good addition for us.

Best I have seen Murphy play, not just his goals but his technique etc.

Defence is still a bit of a worry though, although the boy Hutchison gives us another option. Did quite well considering.

Melvin, were you sitting in the main stand, in line with the 18 yard box where the goals were scored first half? On the passageway about 3/4 of the way back ? I think my father and I were sitting behind you. You made a comment at 3-0 about getting 5-0 up at half time and getting the cigars out. Certainly the guys in front of me were praising Sutton to the hilt as well!

Aye, that was me. And aye, I'm always that loud. Just be thankful you don't sit next to me all the time...

How embarrassing was that, ok sweaty socks go on gloat away. Pathetic performance by my team, not even one player booked that shows what kind of effort they put in i curse the decision of the Embassy giving them visas. i wasnt able to watch the game but it seems that every time you went forward you scored. Anyways well played and good luck in the next round

How embarrassing was that, ok sweaty socks go on gloat away. Pathetic performance by my team, not even one player booked that shows what kind of effort they put in i curse the decision of the Embassy giving them visas. i wasnt able to watch the game but it seems that every time you went forward you scored. Anyways well played and good luck in the next round

Fair play to you. I bet you wish you weren't so cocky after the fisrt leg now. :huh:

Yes well and truly humped Flamster. Good of you to come back on.

Good luck for the season ahead

U lost and advantage its clearly with us. i fancy our boys to score at least 2 in the counter. We might be an albanian team but whenever we played in europe we never disgraced ourselves, we have drawn at Barcelona away in four meetings with them we only lost once. Those young boys that you saw playing today are local lads with the exception of one and will give their all for the club. You could shout ur mouth as much as you want but i saw a club that has a tenth of your budget give u footballing lesson at times.

I saw a real footballing lesson for last night !

Stuart.

Fair play to you. I bet you wish you weren't so cocky after the fisrt leg now. :P

I honestly thought we could do it, having watched the first game i still maintain there wasnt alot of difference between the sides. Having not watched the game, i cant comment on whether u were that superb or we were total crap , but its more probable the latter. No even the most optimistic Well supporter who watched the first leg could have predicted that scoreline. I guess its one of those freak results in football even argentina lost 6/1 against bolivia. However i must congratulate you, you done what was required on your part

I honestly thought we could do it, having watched the first game i still maintain there wasnt alot of difference between the sides. Having not watched the game, i cant comment on whether u were that superb or we were total crap , but its more probable the latter. No even the most optimistic Well supporter who watched the first leg could have predicted that scoreline. I guess its one of those freak results in football even argentina lost 6/1 against bolivia. However i must congratulate you, you done what was required on your part

It was both! We were superb and the goals were fantastic but your team were really bad and crumbled after the 2nd goal. Your right I would not have predicted 8-1. That would have been stupid of me. I really did beleive we would win but was always worried about the away goal. I still maintain for 70 minutes in Albania we were the better team.