The 'old Pics Of Fir Park' Thread

trafficlight

Casey's pic from St Mirren cup-tie in 1977.

PettigrewscoresvStMirren1977.jpg

A very tightly packed Fir Park that day with the 'official' attendance given at just under 27,000. "No way", said my old-man who was also at the 1952 cup-tie against Rangers. He reckons there was more in 77, and remember Fir Park was a larger arena in 77 than it was in 52 yet the attendance was given as approx 36,000.

Cakes pic from St Mirren cup-tie in 1977.

PettigrewscoresvStMirren1977.jpg

A very tightly packed Fir Park that day with the 'official' attendance given at just under 27,000. "No way", said my old-man who was also at the 1952 cup-tie against Rangers. He reckons there was more in 77, and remember Fir Park was a larger arena in 77 than it was in 52 yet the attendance was given as approx 36,000.

That was an unbelievable crowd. I remember there was some great excitement in Lanarkshire leading up to this game. As someone who had seen large crowds at Fir Park, this was exceptional and I reckon there was more than the official attendance.

Cheers for that Pie.

Not as good quality as I had previously thought.

I watched this game 6 foot up on the floodlight at the far right side, changed days now when you can't even stand up. :thumbup:

BTW, goals from this game are available on a St Mirren video.

was it not our first colours, blue + something that we used from Lord Dalziell? then changed to claret + amber?

It is probably more likely that our blue originated from Alpha who wore that colour before they merged with Glencairn to form Motherwell.

Glencairns colour is not known as they were not SFA members, so unlike Alpha their colours where not registered.

It could also be because more common colours like blue were cheaper to buy.

To quote Historical kits...

The economic factors were probably more significant. A survey of Scottish clubs in the 1870s and early 1880s reveals that most clubs played in plain jerseys (navy, red, maroon, green or rarely white) or narrow hoops in a combination of two of these colours. Remember that players had to buy their own kit in those days: the working class lads that took up the sport would not be inclined to join clubs that required expensive colour combinations associated with public schools or universities that they had no connection with.

This is a brilliant thread :D

Can someone answer this question though?

I remember hearing that Motherwell were the first team to win the European cup before it was an official tournament. This may be bollocks but i'm sure it was a cup we played for durin a pre season tour of Spain in which we beat some of the best sides in Europe :cheers:

Hope its true :lol:

This is a brilliant thread :D

Can someone answer this question though?

I remember hearing that Motherwell were the first team to win the European cup before it was an official tournament. This may be bollocks but i'm sure it was a cup we played for durin a pre season tour of Spain in which we beat some of the best sides in Europe :cheers:

Hope its true :lol:

King of Spain Cup? :lol:

Geat pics there, mate, though it begs the question why were Motherwell in Argentina in 1928 ??

My ex-brother in law's great uncle played on that tour, his surname was Frame, apparently he kept a journal of the tour.... think it's somewhere in Missouri, like tons of Motherwell stuff sitting in someone's basement/loft.

The kit was claret and amber stripes. It's just that our original shade of amber was much darker than it is at the moment.

It must have been claret and amber, because if I recollect, didn't the Argentinians send us a set of Football strips a few years later, during the war I believe, which turned out to be claret with an amber band.