The 'old Pics Of Fir Park' Thread

trafficlight

Ive got a belter on the wall of my house. 31/32 season league Champions team photo with a page from an old autograph book which has been signed by the whole squad and staff. Original photo of the team is very rare and it was given to me by a guy whos collection of Motherwell memrobilia will be tough to beat.

Got loads of old pics up the loft, will have to sift through them and see what is there. I know there are plenty of when the Knowetop end was redeveloped.

I said earlier the adidas number was far too yellow, and would add the Untouchables strip as worn by McFadden was too much the other way - far too orange. Great design - I bought it on e-bay - but the amber strays into the tangerine zone. What do you think ?

Both the amber and the claret are difficult to get spot on. I actually prefer a slightly darker amber and a warmer claret. I hate when the amber is too yellow and the claret goes too purple. I suppose it all depends on each manufacturers take on it.

Going by the web pics the red in the new Man U kit doesn't look quite right. Have you see that one in the flesh Traffic? If so, how does it compare to previous tops?

I haven't seen the new United shirt up close to judge. You'd think red is easy enough to get right, but the shade does differ. I prefer a deeper red, but don't like the new strip anyway. The black v on the front is a nonsense, as are the all black socks. Just as 'Well fans demand the hoop on the jersey, I demand the socks are black with red turnover and white band, and anything else is sacrilege. We should use the strip worn in the Manchester derby for the 50th anniversary of Munich and stick a club crest on it. Perfect.

A few facts and figures relating to questions asked on this thread

* 1927 - First overseas tour party to Spain & Portugal consisted of 16 players, 1 trainer, 1 manager and 1 guide. A total of £1,700 plus expenses was guaranteed for the 8 games.

Played 8 W6 D1 L1 For 23 Against 10 `Well lost only one tour game to a Bilbao select and won the Barcelona Cup and the King of Spain Cup and beat Real Madrid

Scotland as a nation did not play an overseas fixture ( other than Ireland ) until May 1929, a 7-3 victory against Norway in Bergen. Allan Craig of Motherwell won the first of 3 caps that day

* By the end of 1927 a South American tour had been negotiated with Mr E Alcarez a London based agent for the sum of £12,800 for 11 games, after expenses there would be a profit of £5k with Mr Alcarez receiving £2k

By comparison ( in financial terms ) Motherwell turned down a bid of £6k from Huddersfield for George Stevenson a player who gained his first cap in October 1927 in a team with the likes of Hughie Gallacher & Alan Morton in the era of The Wembley Wizards

* Summer 1928 `Well sailed to Argentina for a tour of Argentina, Uraguay & Brazil where 6 of the 11 games were won with 1 draw and 4 lost. The final game was a 5-0 defeat against a Brazilian select in Rio before a 40,000 crowd

The 2 cups and 2 shields won on that trip are in the Fir Park trophy room

* In 1931 a tour of South Africa from 24th April to 27th July only losing 1 of 15 games. All expenses were paid plus a fee of £500 and the players were given £50 each for kit

* In 1933 it was agreed to play 2 matches in Paris on 26th & 28th May 1934 for a fee of £600. Travel costs quoted by Thomas Cook were £16.16 shillings ( £16.80 ) a head

* 1934 tour of South Africa & Southern Rhodesia for a fee of £1,200 plus expenses .Playing 16 Winning 16 For 81 against 12 with Willie McFadyen scoring 6 in one 8-0 win

Jerseys - in 1928 the change was made to bright amber with claret collars and cuffs

Stand - in October 1960 Tubewrights Ltd submitted an estimate of £30k for the steelwork & cladding for the new stand followed in Jan 1961 by an official quote of £32,738.

A year later architects estimated it would take an additional £60k to complete the stand

In 1962 the board decided to proceed with the new stand at a cost of £80k.

Funds were raised by selling St John to Liverpool for £37.5k and Pat Quinn to Blackpool for £34k. John McPhee also joined Blackpool for £10k Many `Well fans showed their displeasure by boycotting the new stand but I would point out that St John had first put in a transfer request in Jan `61 and a bid of £20k from Norwich was turned down in May of that year before he went to Liverpool that summer.

My own story starts about here as my Dad took me on the 240 bus from Lanark at the beginning of the `62/`63 season and my first memory of Fir Park is being lifted over the turnstyles and sitting in the old stand

Aww man awesome photies, I mind being in the area before they built the cooper stand. Man i must have been about 4 or 5 and me n ma mate just ran about the stairs and never actually watched the game, then i was in the claret and amber club and got in for £2.50 Good times.

Apparently it was more to do with a dispute with the owner(s) of the house(s) behind the stand. The transfer if Ian St John funded the building of the stand itself so I think we probably could have afforded it to be longer. If it was a financial issue then I would image we would have at least put a smaller stand in a central position to the pitch.

Fir Park legend.

2vwsldg.jpg

Copa Barcelona Cup from the Fir Park trophy room

2ikaxqu.gif

Scottish Cup (will we ever see the likes again?)

2vdm988.jpg

Carlsberg don't do title parties...

k3ouie.gif

Invasion

2dab0b6.jpg

Faddy

2qxt0zp.jpg

The 'Ark'

15oaxky.jpg

Dortmund

eziog4.jpg

Novo

jj423c.jpg

The Fir Park rollercoaster

2duxds7.jpg

FADDY !

The Messiah among the disciples or what ? <_< Superb photo

Anybody tell me how to quote individual photos or sentences ? :P

Cheers for that. Are the houses still there ?

Yes, I think it was just the first house in the row that was the problem because it's garden would have to be built on. The club later bought the house but by that time didn't have the money to complete the stand so just sold it again (probably at a loss, knowing Motherwell

<_< )

I've always liked the quirky, not quite finished look that it gives the ground.