The 'old Pics Of Fir Park' Thread

trafficlight

I was at the Texaco cup game against Stoke, during the same era I remember seeing us gubbed by a very good Burnley team, think it was 0-3 and losing 0-1 to an Everton team with Joe Harper in.

Right opponents, wrong home team.

Having convinced myself I`d been at these games I did a bit of research and discovered that Hearts played both in the Texaco Cup in 1973/74.

As I started college in Edinburgh at the same time I must have gone along to Tynecastle to watch the games

Texaco Cup nights at Fir park were fantastic, my fav being the 3-1 humbling of the might Tottenham Hotspur :nod: Great crowd and 3 great goals from Heron, Watson and Donnelly <_<

Like the Goose, I don't recall games against Burnley or Everton. Stoke, Coventry, Spurs, Norwich, Notts County and Fulham yes.

Great stuff Special. Don't know how you remember the goalscorers! How do you remember that? I was at the Stoke game, Spurs and didn't we play Hearts in the Texaco as well? If I remember that was a big game and caused a huge rivalry between the two teams.

Funny about these pictures because in one way I became a Motherwell fan because in black and white pictures we were distinct from any other team, although the colours were more important. Kind of like Real Madrid in all white, unmistakable. Also I loved night games getting the bus from Newarthill and going down the hill at Clapperhowe and seeing the lights from the stadium in the distance. Those were great days and nights at FP. Thanks for sharing all your memories. :lol:

It would be great of they could open the wee bit down at front of main stand. In the Vic Davidson pic it is jam packed.

That was the old enclosure. Didn't know of anyone who wanted to watch the game from there. Up near the fence was the way forward. :(

Not FP, I know but casey has asked for this great pic of the Grew (against Airdrie in that ill-fated cup semi at Hampden is my guess).

TheGrew-v-Airdriecup-semiatHampden.jpg

Cheers for that Pie.

From 1975 semi final at Hampden, first game.

Picture is from a old 1977 annual. Also got colour pics from 1976 semi but don't think anyone would want to see them!

First yin is over at Accies is it not?

Both clubs had fences at the time & didnt take pic! stood at FP fence when the mullet's days were numbered! Stand corrected, if wrong!

Thought it was FP, fence being claret n'all!

Definately motherwell lads tho

On a similar note, has anyone played football at Glasgow Green recently? In the reception they have a big aerial shot of Hampden from (I'm guessing) the mid fifties, and I would swear blind that it's a game involving the 'Well. Can anyone confirm that this is the case, or (even better) specify the game?

Also, that bit in front of the Main Stand was open for the cup replay against Dundee Utd in 1994(ish) when Brian Welsh scored the only goal. I was in there, and it was magic!

Also, that bit in front of the Main Stand was open for the cup replay against Dundee Utd in 1994(ish) when Brian Welsh scored the only goal. I was in there, and it was magic!

Had a season ticket in the enclosure for a couple of years in the early nineties.

Was always plenty of banter in there when we played the OF, was never much segregation.

Game that springs to mind was the opener against Celtic in 1993, we were 2-0 up and it ended 2-2.

Agree it would be good to reopen it as a safe standing are maybe. Never happen though.

Cheers for that Pie.

From 1975 semi final at Hampden, first game.

Picture is from a old 1977 annual. Also got colour pics from 1976 semi but don't think anyone would want to see them!

That would The Sun Soccer Annual 1977, got that sitting at my desk last couple of weeks pondering whether to get rid of it on ebay.

Both clubs had fences at the time & didnt take pic! stood at FP fence when the mullet's days were numbered! Stand corrected, if wrong!

Aye definitely Motherwell but seen that pic before, it's our end at Douglas Park, some of Accies small contingent visible in the corner on other side.

I remember when I first started coming to games I stood next to the fence only for a bottle come hurling from the opposition side and smash on the fence sending shards of glass everywhere.

After that I decided to stand behind the goals!

I remember when I first started coming to games I stood next to the fence only for a bottle come hurling from the opposition side and smash on the fence sending shards of glass everywhere.

After that I decided to stand behind the goals!

Shitebag! :P