The 'Ark on a gloomy day.

3281828057_ef97b2b04b_b.jpg

And again.

3282693132_5e4573fe40.jpg

Main Stand.

3281970891_856eb5ba0a.jpg

Celebration time.

3282685272_78eefd488b.jpg

A halved h*n, incidentally the rangers U19 team are the biggest bunch of cowardly girls i have ever seen disgrace a football pitch.

2942270012_86c94da138.jpg

Two promising youngsters, Stephen McGinn and Ross Forbes.

2941426499_945aa51bef.jpg

Paul Slane.

2942275390_7bed94f6c2.jpg

Mugger Malcolm.

2942279634_067ca03c4b.jpg

Jim O'Brien before he broke into the first team.

Incidentally, this seems to have become more of a "Pics of the 'well" thread, perhaps the title should be changed accordingly? Just an idea.

• 1 month later...

Old teams of Fir Park. I forgot to mention this last night. Was looking through some old programmes the mrs has of her dad's, there's a full set from 1964-65. Be interested to know the recollections of older fans of the team of

Wyllie

Delaney

McCallum R

Aitken

Martis

McCallum W

Goakley

McBride

Donnachie

Weir

Hume

Seems the team was struggling near the foot of the table that season. What was the team like generally in that era ?

• 1 month later...

3 more pics from the sold out 1928 South American tour.

Motherwell Football Club on tour in Argentina, May and June 1928, Photo shows: Buenos Aires Select XI 1 v Motherwell 0, at the River Plate Stadium, May 13th 1928, The crowd arriving at the Stadium which was packed to capacity with enthusiastic South American fans who saw their team win 1-0 with the winning goal being scored by Sposito, Motherwell enjoyed a period of great success between 1927 and 1934, when they were always in the top three of Scotland's First Division, They were acknowledged as the most attractive side in the country, scoring more goals than any other team in Division 1 for 4 consecutive seasons, During the summer of 1928 Motherwell set sail for a prestigious tour of Argentina, By the end of the tour they had accumulated 2 silver cups, 2 shields,gold medals and a tour record of: Played 11, won 6, drawn 1 and lost 4, Their final match was against Brazil, and, as time was short before their ship sailed, the team had to travel to the docks still wearing their football kit, The trip had been organised by a London agent Mr,E,Alcaraz, and the club received a profit of 5000 for the 11 match tour, with Mr,Alcaraz receiving a fee of 2000 as promoter

29gh4b9.jpg

jgrw28.jpg

x1afl5.jpg

Old teams of Fir Park. I forgot to mention this last night. Was looking through some old programmes the mrs has of her dad's, there's a full set from 1964-65. Be interested to know the recollections of older fans of the team of

Wyllie

Delaney

McCallum R

Aitken

Martis

McCallum W

Goakley

McBride

Donnachie

Weir

Hume

Seems the team was struggling near the foot of the table that season. What was the team like generally in that era ?

That was round about the time I first went to see Motherwell so the team would have been along those lines. I had the good fortune to see Joe McBride before he moved on, and at my first game got John Martis' autograph.

To be fair I think a few of those players were nearing the end of their career, Aitken retired the following year I believe, Coakley went to Arsenal and Delaney headed for the bright lights of Dunfermline, and Joe McBride decamped to Parkhead the following season.

The Ancell Babes heyday straddled the end of the 1950's and the beginning of the swinging sixties. The sale of St John to Liverpool in 1961 saw the beginning of the end for that squad, Pat Quinn's move to Blackpool in 1963 was it's death knell. I remember a friend's dad who watched Motherwell nearly every week at that time telling me that the years between Quinn joining Blackpool in 1963 and relegation in 1968 were, summer cups apart, his most miserable time as a fan. To qualify that I haven't seen him for years so he may re-evaluate that decuision to take in the Malpas years.

Motherwell v Ayr United 1976?

214v2ix.jpg

If I remember right this was a Scottish Cup tie played on a Wednesday afternoon. It was during a miners strike so the game was played to avoid the floodlights being needed. Got off the schoolthat day at dinner time (didny have lunch when I was a nipper)

Correction looking at the date the game i'm on about was afew year earlier