The 'dreaded' Communication Issue

Guest 'Flow

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my observations Flow. I, like the majority of fans appreciate it and understand it is a time consuming and at times tedious job.

I must admit tho I was a little confused when you mentioned the press release regarding the pricing scheme, I must have totally missed this and I am a daily vistor to the Official Site. However, I must admit that if it's not one of the revolving news articles under the Latest News banner on the home page then I often miss things.

Could I just ask 'Flow, as it is probably your area of expertise, whereabouts the opening hours for the ticketing office are on the official website? I couldnt find them when I was looking for them earlier as my dad wanted to get a ticket for the accies game. If I've missed them then I apologise for bringing it up!

I've been off sick last couple of weeks so I have noticed a lot more of what has been going up and all of it is stuff I want to know but if I had been working and not checked the web for a couple of days then there is stuff I would have had to go looking for and seeing as I'm lazy would have missed. Perhaps some way of making things stay prominent longer.

Aye, how's that RSS feed coming along :lol: I find it hard to believe that any decent CMS these days wouldn't make this as easy as checking a box on the admin page... the ones we use at work certainly do.

'Flow,

Hope this is constructive,

You have to fix this! :blink:

With all the confusion with what the prices are (i have paid £18, £16, £15 then £18 again at the last 4 matches I have paid at the gate for), it would be usefull if this could be cleared up.

I was unaware of the mistake with announcing the new pricing structure until i read it on this thread, altough I had kind of put 2+2 together. As the prices seem to be mae up at random.

The idea was there, but it was far too complicated and targeting the wrong people in my opinion, so hopefully any new ideas are a bit better thought out.

One more thing would be displaying the season ticket number at the turnstiles into the east stand, I'm sure this has been asked before, and the trust supplied a board to display the numbers on i think, but it isn't used! This is such a basic type of communication, and it's not happening!

It would speed up the queue, which can get quite long, particularly for midweek games.

. I, like the majority of fans appreciate it and understand it is a time consuming and at times tedious job.

Considering the shambles that continues to be the Admin team a FP its the very least that should be done, and it should have been done a damn site sooner.

Reading through a lot of what Flow says, everything seems to a be a 'mistake' on the part of the club, MFC never seem to learn from mistakes and the thing that puzzles me is, would the club have not been better off employing people who have a proper understanding of running such a business instead of enthusiastic supporters, to my mind this was another cack handed effort to bridge the gap between club and support by getting a couple of enthusiastic fans onboard.

Flow as much as admitted when he took up his position he perhaps didnt fully understand what he was getting into, and that is a sad indictment of the people running the club, and shows that yet again instead of getting the right type who could hit the ground running, MFC go for the popular option and find the people they employed are not quite up to the task.

Sadly for the supporters of MFC this has been a constant theme in the reign of Boyle, appoint your pals (Pat Nevin started the ball rolling in his chief Exec role) and seems to continue to this day.

Communications between the club and fans is a great thing if it works properly, the only way to get it working properly is to have people employed at the club who truly understand the needs of running such an organistion, clearly at this time we dont have such people, and until we do sadly I fear we will continue to be served by enthusiastic amateurs.

• Like 1

Guest JohnnyDefault

Flow, Hats off for taking this on mate really.

In terms of positives - the reporting or journalistic side of the website is a massive improvement - the match reports, reserves, U19 photos etc are top class and the programme is indeed excellent.

In terms of announcements for tickets and stuff - alot of the time the info is frustratingly incomplete. (and I'm not talking about stuff that you've yet have the info on). Like. . . The Accies tickets this week - knowing how many tickets we've sold is a 'nice to know' - knowing when ticket office is open until and if it's open on the saturday is a 'need to know'. That type of error / incomplete message is the one that folk pick up on.

Someone mentioned earlier delivering on promises - Motherwell TV? - Getting to Know You? - that looks bad when its been heralded and doesn't develop into anything. wrt to getting to know you - if you take time out your customers lives for them to give you that info - then you need to give something back.

I'm not trying to teach my granny how to suck eggs here - but it looks sometimes that these type of 'info' announcements are not read back with the customers eyes on.

The bones of the frustration that is put forward on here is pretty deep rooted, pretty serious and I think entirely justified. We know that you get frustrated with it but by the same token you should not feel personally accountable for it. Like I said elsewhere we all take our collective hat off to what you have achieved and continue to strive to do. When people vent frustration at one of the small things like phones or opening times info or anything else - It's because they've had a gutfull of the bigger things and there's no slack in their patience or tolerance for whats seen as a pretty poor administration at MFC at the top.

The info on the pitch is inexcusable - As a club we make grand statements about how good the playing surface will be this year (and the improvement in the actual turf is there for all to see) - however for the support not to know whether USH is functional, repaired, sold on eBay is just plain mental. In fact it gives everyone on here a free reign to say whatever they like - because the club have failed to clarify. People quite openly suggest that its gubbed and has been deliberately left that way and that we, as a club are willing to accept fines - why does no one get upset by these comments and come screaming on here to put the club point of view if whats being said is incorrect?

The Nancy ticketing info was something that was just handled extremely badly from start to finish. We know that it's a difficult difficult task and stretched the club, the staff and the supporters to the limit. But people were shelling out bucket loads of money on trips, taking time off work to queue - taking time away from desks / production lines to phone. The game in this instance just had to be raised.

The pricing initiatiave on the back of an already 'delicate' situation with The Cooper Stand.

Communicating formally with OLd Firm Supporters Associations BEFORE the Well support - the pleading language used was the majority felt an affront to our support who endure their behaviour and chants when they visit.

Pleading for people who care not one jot about MFC to attend matches at Fir Park ahead of asking our support to step up to the plate was seen as poor. Like many have said the CIS cup experiment last year could be seen as equally as successful as the result of the first game of the pricing initiative. The lack of reciprocation from Celtic was seen as a kick in the teeth (I understand the same stand guideline though)

You know that we all care passionately about the club and we all know that you do too - we'll get there in the end. Unfortunately for yourself Mr Boyle et all need to get a big bridge repair contracter in before things improve.

Guest JohnnyDefault

I also meant to add earlier - We haven't (as far as I can see) communicated on the official site that we are being brought before the SPL for the postponement of the Hearts match.

I realise we maybe cant say much outwith the basic facts - but i think its a major piece of news that should be on there.

The Killie, The SPL, The News Sites and all the forums have all carried it.

I only really have 2 main complaints in relation to the club's communication, specifically regarding ticketing anyway.

1. It's very hard to get a hold of anyone at the ticket office for any information. Either it goes to answerphone and you never get a call back or you email and never get a reply. Obviously the staff in the ticket office work very hard and have a lot to deal with but I think that something needs to be looked at to resolve this problem.

2. I haven't received any correspondence from the club since last season, despite checking that my address was correct several times. This includes never receiving re-allocation tickets or letters about ticketing schemes such as the one for the ICT game. This really isn't acceptable. ST holders have their details registered with the club and there really should be some way to ensure that each ST holder gets the required correspsondence once and once only but at least on time. The past 2 or 3 old firm games, I 've had to phone the ticket office or try and get someone to go in on my behalf (as I live in Edinburgh) to get a replacement ticket. I'm not really sure what the solution to that would be but with the number of ST holders in the same position, it's obviously something of serious concern.

But otherwise, I think the website is very high quality and has good value content, much more so than the other SPL sites (perhaps except Gretna's old site, that was really decent). Hopefully with the appointment of Leann Dempster and the offer to communicate openly with her and via the trust there will be a positive improvement over the coming months.

I'm still waiting on anyone from the club to be courteous enough to let me know if I've got a seat on the flight to Nancy, despite emailing the original address (twice) long before the first batch were reportedly sold out, and before the email system went down (or at least, before any alternative address was provided).

After the flooding hoo-hah, I emailed the backup address a couple of times asking to put my name down for a seat, too, but still no reply--even an automated response would have been better than nothing. (Then tried phoning a couple of times to see whether anyone had actually received any of my emails, but that caused a rapid loss of will to live.)

Ah well, maybe in another 12 years' time.

Big Stall,

You will have read above mate about the lettering issues and what is currently going in with a view to fixing it! No promises it will be sorted over night, of course it won't, but our new database system will hopefully begin to give us a much more effective and accurate communication tool

Weekly push email / newsletter (which will contain exclusive news as well as links to stories on the website that you may have missed due to the increased content) is expected very soon (see, no specific time date :lol: ). I've subscribed to as many in the SPL and England as I can to try and pick the best bits out based on our time and financial resources!

Again, this has come directly from Mr Boyle who has been on my case nonstop to get it completed. It's actually overdue hence why I am adamant that it will be popping into the inbox of 'Well fans (well, the ones we have email addresses for) very, very soon. When it is fully operation, we will obviously have a subscription notice on the homepage of the official site too...

'Flow

I appreciate the reply and all you have said in this thread to everyone, but heres the thing. Taking my point as an example. How can the club manage to courier me my season ticket to my address back in the summer, but not send me out the much heralded letter?

If the answer is that the club has lost my address then that tells us all how bad and unprofessional the set up it.

If the answer is that my address is living on the new fangled almost complete database but no-one has bothered to go through it and take the addresses off it, then that answers your question about communication issues.

This isn't meant to be a personal attack on you, i've never met you and none of the issues my mate has over the 'proggies affair' last season has anything to do with me. I'm just trying to be honest and point out a few problems.

Elsewhere in the thread you mentioned set deadlines not being met and said with the exception of Nancy, this hasn't happened.

Technically this may be true, but how long did it take from the press release on the initiative, which said we would all recieve the letters, to some people actually getting them. Must have been 6-8 weeks at least im guessing. Similarly, the announcement of the hospitality draw for season ticket holders after every home match. I think it took 2 weeks from the first counting match before there was any mention of it on the official site. Why did these things all take so long? Thats the sort of thing that makes the clubs communications look bad.

To slightly turn it on its head...

What do the fans 'expect' in terms of good communications?

Honesty, and to be made aware of all news that affects the club from the club as and when it happens.

We learnt that Motherwell had breached a couple of rules regarding the undersoil heating from the Kilmarnock website and subsequent newspaper articles. The club have yet to issue a statement, or even comment on it, they haven't even mentioned it in the website. It's like Pravda in the 1960's, they aren't allowed to publish any bad news.

Honesty, and to be made aware of all news that affects the club from the club as and when it happens.

We learnt that Motherwell had breached a couple of rules regarding the undersoil heating from the Kilmarnock website and subsequent newspaper articles. The club have yet to issue a statement, or even comment on it, they haven't even mentioned it in the website. It's like Pravda in the 1960's, they aren't allowed to publish any bad news.

Spot on. This now almost mythical USH topic has been raging on and on and the club would have you believe they are surprised when it fails, when clearly they know there is something very wrong. Even Craigan today on Off the Ball seemed almost embarrassed to talk about Motherwell's 'Dark USH Secret'. This subject alone tells you why Motherwell fans have a right to be sceptical about anything the club say or do. They could have put this subject to bed very quickly but chose to let it fester. Why? Because they knew they would be punished if the truth came out. They preferred to play Russian roulette with the weather and it bit them in the arse big time. You could argue the toss over the rights or wrongs of USH but rules are rules and sad to say I hope they get hammered.

Guest JohnnyDefault
Spot on. This now almost mythical USH topic has been raging on and on and the club would have you believe they are surprised when it fails, when clearly they know there is something very wrong. Even Craigan today on Off the Ball seemed almost embarrassed to talk about Motherwell's 'Dark USH Secret'. This subject alone tells you why Motherwell fans have a right to be sceptical about anything the club say or do. They could have put this subject to bed very quickly but chose to let it fester. Why? Because they knew they would be punished if the truth came out. They preferred to play Russian roulette with the weather and it bit them in the arse big time. You could argue the toss over the rights or wrongs of USH but rules are rules and sad to say I hope they get hammered.

See this is the thing - there's supposed to be people at the top monitoring the board and monitoring what's being said.

People (for some time - even on the previous version of the site) are asking legitimate questions about the USH while some have heard 'stories' about it being completely gubbed by the remedial work to piece the baked clay layer and that MFC knowingly went into this season knowing that we have in effect no USH and would take the chance with frost and fines.

I can see that the SPL's options for improper use of a working USH system as a rap on the knuckles, a fine or a small points deduction. We all hope for something in the minor side here.

What are the repercussions for the second option? (knowingly having it in a state of gubbedness)

What are the chances of it happening again?

I'm still able to make a post like this - because no-one at FP has said anything about this issue.

See this is the thing - there's supposed to be people at the top monitoring the board and monitoring what's being said.

I'm still able to make a post like this - because no-one at FP has said anything about this issue.

Flow is the only person I know of who posts regularly on this site. Other employees of MFC may do but I could not say for certain. The one thing they all seem to have in common is they have never ever confirmed (say it quietly) whether or not we have a fully working USH system. I hope the SPL inquiry at least sheds a little light on this matter and states exactly what rules we have broken. Or maybe someone at Motherwell Football Club would like to communicate with us on the official site or here and tell us where it all went wrong.

• 1 month later...

As probably noted in my other thread, and just to document it further.

But, the Inverurie Refund fiasco, and the FACT that Club Employee's gave out information leading fans to believe that they had several days to collect their refund, where in fact they had 6.5hrs from the game being on to collect it, this information only coming to light the day after the deadline.

Clicky

Not had time to read through all the posts, but I feel there could be more communication between the club and outsiders i.e non season ticket holders.

Its important for any business to advertise and I dont feel motherwell do enough to "bring in the punters". If i'm not mistaken, when boyle took over motherwell, there were promo leaflets posted through letterboxes all over the town (I may be wrong but i'm sure this happened when we done the "get in for a quid" deal) and there seemed to be a lot more awareness of what was going on at the club.

I think the website has been great since its been improved and there is so much more information on it now than ever before, however, like some have already said, sometimes not everyone has a chance to check the web on a daily basis and therefore more emphasis on the old skool "letter in the post" would be nice.

Motherwell are starting to slowly move forward, which by anyones standards is a positive sign. I would just like to see the club really giving it a go as far as advertising itself and letting everyone in and around motherwell know why they should be at fir park on a saturday. The cost of getting leaflets printed and put in all the free papers isn't high, its amazing how advertising captures people, and if people know that your getting kids in for nothing, or there is a pie and a pint on in the cooper suite, then that may make them decide to go to the game.