Steaua Vs Motherwell

rab_mackinnon

Absolutely delighted at the progress i've seen from our young squad in recent weeks.

And go into this game with renewed optimism another poster said in another thread.

Steaua only entered the competition in the second round so even though they have a european trophy in there cabinet from 1986.

Is it beyond us to beat this team?

I expect this by far to be our toughest challenge yet but any tougher than borussia dortmund a few years back?

I was thrilled last night and maybe i need to get my heads out of the clouds but i don't think for a second our team will feel over awed at the prospect of playing and beating steaua.

MON THE WELL!!!

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard to tell from last nights game as it was all but over from the first leg, however they did look pretty good. It wouldn't be impossible to beat them, but we would have to play extremely well in both ties.

Speaking to Willie McStay after the game and he reckoned that Steaua would be serious contenders for the trophy. I'm not sure I buy into that, but the level of oppostion will be a much sterner test than the last two.

At least its an adventure and a hell of a pre-season.

Feet are on the ground with this one.

They have been in the UEFA semi's and C/L twice in the last couple of seasons.

Think they got horsed in the group stages though.

Basically, it will be like a Scotland v Romania game. Do-able but certainly won't be easy.

Like Albania, the heat could certainly play a factor. Currently 37C in Bucharest this weekend. So, similar must be expected for next week.

Difference is, in Vlore was we controlled possession and therefore never had to run round the pitch chasing the ball and as a result tiring ourselves out. Whereas with Steaua, they should control the game and have large chunks of possession. And with the heat we could really struggle and tire late on.

But, for anyone that plays FM, notable mentions that they have Bogdan Stancu and Ionescu in there team. Players of FM08 fame. :P

They finished 6th in the Romanian league last year, so it seems that last season was a transitional period for them. And judging by that certainly they don't seem as strong as they once were, even just a few years ago.

They are favourites (unquestionably), but I think this could be really tight over the two legs. Especially with the confidence we will now be taking into this game.

Away to plan my trip. Anyone able to have a guess at what time kick off may be local time and at GMT?

If the players believe they can do it then fucking right we can. No doubting they are a quality side but I think people are over estimating them....they only finished sixth in Romanian league last year and had to wait until last round of fixtures to secure their Europa league fate.

If we get a Nancy type result over there then there's no reason why we can't do them at (hopefully) Fir Park

Jeezo, guys, can we not just enjoy last night for a day or two? :P The manager and players need to start thinking about it right away but as fans we're allowed to bask in victory a wee bit longer surely...

The only thought I've had about it so far is that it'll be tougher than the last two rounds. And I'd like the home leg to be at Fir Park...

Like Albania, the heat could certainly play a factor. Currently 37C in Bucharest this weekend. So, similar must be expected for next week.

I actually think the heat could be a pro for us. Do we want to be playing Steaua away from home in cooler temperatures when they can operate at 100% capacity?

Obviously the heat will effect us but I think it actually acts as a sort of an equalizer because Steaua won't be able to play all out in 37C just the same as we can't.

Also if I've picked this up right from the Steaua forums, they will be missing up to five 1st team players for the ties against Motherwell through suspension and injury.

unirea urziceni, the romanian champions, narrowly defeated ayr utd 2-1 with a very late goal a couple of weeks back. we're winning this thing! :D

They (Unirea) have taken that lad from Morton - McCallister on loan with a view to him being in their first team.

As for the game against Steaua, I think we will struggle, but if we play anything like we did against Flamaturi then you never know what might happen.

I would urge Mr Boyle to consider allowing the game to be played at Fir Park.

Its only right that we play a team with the reputation of Steuea at our own ground.

Besides, it will be played 6th August (near enough start of season) and wont be played on again until 22nd.

I'd hope that he wouldn't move the tie back. There's absolutely no sense in tinkering with our pitch before the first game, it should be given as much time as possible so we have no 'issues' come the winter.

Besides, when did we last score 8 goals at Fir Park.... :D

I agree with that. Is that even an option though?

As far as Im aware the work on the park was succesfully completed mid-June and the only reason we aren't playing at Fir Park is to let the grass knit in for as long as possible as a (for want of a better word) "precaution".

That was my take on it.

Steaua is in a re-building mode with a new coach and a lot of players who are in their early 20's . This is the best chance for an underdog to catch some fire and upset the favourite. If you have any questions regarding the team or the players , feel free to ask.

under mcghee we played romanian champs in austria losing unluckily 2-1 both times. first year it was dinamo bucharest 2nd it was cluj who fucked mclean in that game)

also the champions this year narrowly beat ayr as earlier mentioned and lost 2 plymouth, who lost to livi ffs.

this is very much doable 4 us. heres hoping were still in the tie after the away leg. stueas history counts for sweet fa

It's going to be really tough, and as some mentioned above its our toughest Euro test probably, but I think if we can get a decent result next week ie still be in the tie then I'll be delighted. An away goal next week would be excellent providing we don't concede too many!

Mon the Well!!!!!

:lol: Urziceni was an huge surprise wining the championship , nobody tooked them in consideration because they were underdogs , Dan Petrescu made an good team there without stars , just with hard working players , Motherwell's advantage could be that we have alot of injuries and suspended players , but the game will be tough

Steaua is in a re-building mode with a new coach and a lot of players who are in their early 20's . This is the best chance for an underdog to catch some fire and upset the favourite. If you have any questions regarding the team or the players , feel free to ask.

Welcome to the board mate. :lol: Who would you say are the real danger men in your team and what position do they play?