Steaua Vs Motherwell

rab_mackinnon

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone posted that the new signings were from England and should be fit as the league strats soon.

Theres a massive difference between fitness and match fitness give them a chance before judging. Regardless or result what a pre season we will hit the SPL flying IMHO :)

Someone posted that the new signings were from England and should be fit as the league strats soon.

Theres a massive difference between fitness and match fitness give them a chance before judging. Regardless or result what a pre season we will hit the SPL flying IMHO :)

Not just that, but some of the guys who were out of contract weren't training at all, so it will take them another week or two to get up to the same level as the guys who started early.

:) We were outplayed by a very good team in in the Romanians and most 'Well fans knew we were in tough in this game. Thanks to all the Romanian's who have posted on this website and hopefully some will get to Motherwell to sample Scottish hospitality. Of course there is another leg to this game and we might have more chances, unfortunately we should have scored one goal away which would have made a huge difference.

First of all ,sorry for the Steaua fans who were enjoying the goals on your forum . Classless!

Got back from the game , I was really impressed by your GK and the blonde dude on the left side. He's got some moves and he tricked our RB(albeit a very good one) several times. I don't know his age, but he looked like a kid :) . A very good footballer though.

Keep your squad together and have faith in them. You are at a beginning of a journey, and the beginnings are always tough.

Cheers

Wise words that man (or lass :lol: )

MON RA DOSSERS

One of my workmates - a sellick fan - thinks we'll get humped 3 or 4 nil. I just laughed at him :lol:

I'm hoping for at least a draw or at the very worse 1-0 or 2-1

Mon the 'Well!!!

looks like your mate was right... :|

I am actually a fan of Steaua's rival of death Dinamo, but being romanian, I saw the game last night, and all i can say is that the team played awesome. respect Steaua, respect Motherwell fans who came to Bucharest, but sincerely, your team didn't show us nothing.

we'll see next week..

cheers'

Hi Guys,

Cheers from Bucharest.

Steaua played very well last night, over-topped the Wells.

However I would expect the match next Thursday to show the Motherwell-from-Hell, a pride-seeking team keen on revenge.

You guys know your team best, I would like to ask if you play that much better at home than you did last night. Do you see any realistic chances to win the night, maybe pull some rabbits out of the hat and overthrow the 3-goal deficit?

I must say Steaua most often lost on English and Scottish soil (drew once against the Rangers, some 15 years ago), but generally came out behind. Most paniful defeat was 3 years ago, in the UEFA Semi-Finals agains Middlesborough. Had won 1-0 in Bucharest, lead 2-0 in the second match and lost 4-2 in the last minute. Nightmarish. I hate Boro.

So, anything we should fear?

All Best,

Sorin

Big positives in Ruddy and Coke - Ruddy looks to be the first 'real' keeper we've had since big Sieb.

Some of their play was tremendous and had us chasing shadows. The nutmegs, dummy's and 1-2s were rubbing it in a bit - but hey they were a fair bit ahead of us.

Still, with every game we can see the way that Gannon's shaping the team - looks like some of the young lads are definitely ready for the first team, while some will need abit of time.

It also looks like the end of the road for one or two familiar faces that have served us well - unfortunately that's what happens - i wish them well if that's the way it pans out.

Looking for some salvaging of pride next week - but know it will be tough at home as well.

What a brilliant pre-season though.

C'mon the Well!

So how come you've seen him once, tonight, and have judged him to be "quality"?

He 'looks' quality. He is big, strong and was pretty tidy in possesion against a top quality side. Give him time.

As for Humphreys. I think he was just a bag of nerves to be fair. He has a bit of the Jim O'Brien about him, where he has the pace, but no final ball yet. Again give him time and he will come good.

Jennings still looked off the pace and needs to also improve his passing, but again you can't really judge these guys against a team far superior to us.

I think we are all forgetting how good a team they are. They will get far in the tournament.

Its been a great experience for the youngsters and the game at Airdrie will again give them invaluable experience at the top level of football. Who knows a wee early Sutton goal might get them nervous.

If you're wondering about the reactions in the Romanian press today.. The Steaua - Motherwell game has enjoyed far greater coverage than that of the other Romanian team involved in the Europa League 3rd qual. round, Vaslui (who defeated Omonia Nicosia 2-0). The articles don't say much about Motherwell, apart from statements from the manager and players.

According to UEFA, Steaua had 26 shots (12 on goal), which means your Ruddy saved 9 - including a penalty!

A lot has been written about youngster Ionescu, who successfully replaced suspended Toja in midfield, and also about Grzelak. Steaua's coach called Jim Gannon a 'true gentleman'.

Cristiano Bergodi, Steaua coach: "I like it when we play football, put the ball down, I like it when we're technical. After this result I'm not worried about the second leg. I don't want to comment on Motherwell, but we had a good game. I liked Onicaş and Grzelak's dribbling antics. We're going to have a good game this weekend when the league starts. I was pleasantly surprised with Jim Gannon, who came to our dugout at the start of the game and shook hands with everyone. He's a true gentleman. I was also very flattered when he said we had taught them a lesson in football."

rs6h7b.jpg

16kui3c.jpg

we're pretty excited about the result because, as mentioned numerous times on this thread, we haven't had any real achievements in the past couple of years and our last season was a bit of a nightmare. the end of the season left the team in a pretty disorganised state, with 3 players not returning to the squad reunion, 2 1st team regulars sent to the 2nd squad etc

for an idea of how our last season went, imagine that most of the players were not really finding any pleasure in playing anymore, especially at home, in part due to the lack of motivation provided by the (poor) coach, but mostly because of the hostile/unsettling atmosphere created by the fans challenging the club owner.

but in june we finally got a coach who is as much focused on the results and tactics as he is on all other key aspects of the club which had been neglected heavily for the past 2 years at least (club relationship with supporters, with the press, a shield between the owner and the players etc. - basically all the things a manager SHOULD do) the team is much changed now, both in terms of players and attitude. Before last night's match, i wasn't too sure how our current squad plays together, the matches against Ujpest had been the first competitive ones for us this season. we also finally used a lot of youngsters, some of the Romanian press presented the fixture as 'our youngsters against theirs'.

that being said, the signs are good, the talent is there and as long as we keep the positive attitude and show a desire to play football and have fun, we'll grow too and who knows where it will take us :lol:

Its what the kids call Tennents Lager, old yin. B-)

Watch it again though, he had the clear opportunity to whip that ball in, but takes it down, dilly dallys about and ends up running into the steaua player. Takes it off him, ball go's up the park, goal.

Last thing I want to do is go watch it again :lol: Seem to remember saying to my daughter that he'd done an O'Brien on us and failed to beat the first man with a poor cross, matter of seconds later and we're 2-0 down.

Of course I might be getting mixed up with an earlier passage of play, end of the day though, who really gives a fuck ;)

Morning after and time for reflection.

I believe that looking at last nights result in terms of other Scottish teams in European action is a good place to start.

Falkirk - Knocked out by a side from Lichtenstein - Embarassment.

Aberdeen- Hammered at home by a side who qualified through winning the Czech Cup - Embarassment.

Celtic - Beaten relativly comfortbaly at HOME by the only side who come near to the standard of Steaua, they still have a chance (a little one at that) of progressing yet infront of the 'greatest fans in the world' they are beaten - Embarassment

Motherwell - We have beaten both Lanelli and Flamutari...arguably the level of the latter does not stray that far off from say Falkirk, Kilmarnock or St. Mirren...yet we trully showed we were far superior. We then come up against Steaua, arguably the most succesful team in the history of Eastern European football, and we loose 3-0 AWAY, in a 'hostile' atmosphere - Even with last nights result we are the only Scottish team who can show pride in their results considering opposition...would Aberdeen and Celtic who are percieved bigger clubs have faired any better?...No chance, yet they will be easily cementing top 6 places this season.

The team - We all know that we lost a rediculous amount of players over the past few weeks, and some good ones at that. Yet at Nancy last year with these 'stars', Hughes etc...we attacked less and showed less fight against a side who were in comparison to Steaua, mediocre.

Now if we look at a starting 11 -

Ruddy - One of the best performances ive seen from a Motherwell keeper...better than Smith - Yes

Saunders - He is too lightweight...but let us not forget, he made some good performances in the SPL last season...yet we judge him playing against Steaua, a team who last night looked better than any old firm side has in the past 5 years...but its all about improving so do we need a new right back - Yes

Craigan - Okay so he made an arse of himself last night, but he is a solid centre half..and in SPL terms very reliable....but again its not just about the SPL its about stepping up a gear...and I think we need someone bigger who can be more commanding...Soley anyone :lol:

Hutchienson - I really like the look of him...okay he is still young but he is a stick insect like the rest of our youth team, and he has a good brain I think, for me he is a starter.

Reynolds - He has coped quite well with a transition to left back and didint look too out of place last night with the step up in oppsition, I would keep him at left back.

Forbes - Even though he was hooked last night, I reckon he will be a major asset for us this season...Quite a versatile midfielder I reckon, very steady for a young guy...who will do ver very well in the SPL.

Jennings - He is the type of player that a team needs, but his lack of fitness somewhat concerns me...okay he didnt have the pre-season the rest of our side had but realistically he should only be 2 weeks off the pace...in line with what he missed yet he looks further away than that...he will be a good asset if that is sorted, but I would keep my eye on that.

Slane - For me has been the outstanding outfield player in all 5 of our european matches...he tore Flamutari to pieces himself in the first half, and even again with the step up last night...showed glimpses he can do it against a high level of oppsition also.

Coke - Okay only one game, but physically he is the type of player we have been lack...someone athletic in the middle, he is off match pace, but he didnt loose the ball cheaply and i feel he could be a major asset.

Humphrey - Something about this guy makes me like him...I dont know why...deep down i feel he has more ability to be dangerous than O'Brien, but his problem isnt fitness, its confidence...he needs to believe he can do well and is the type of player easily affected by the moral of the rest of the team...so mentally he needs to tughen up a bit but I think he will do well.

Sutton - For all the abuse he gets sometimes, he has done very well over the piece in our mtahces pre season...for a large majority of the time has been a lone striker but seems in a short space of time to have made himself more capable of becomming a target, which is good.

Subs

Hammell - I think he will become a bit part player...not dynamic enough for Gannon to merit a first team place.

O'Brien - Not direct enough or a good enough crosser to be a winger...not strong enough to be a ttacking central midefielder...I think he will be covering Suspensions and injurys through the season...nothing more.

Page - I think this guy is a better defender than Saunders, but I get the impression that for now ( he is very young) Gannon like Hammell doesnt see him a verstile enough...so he will be worked on.

Mcgarry - At the end of the day...I doubt he has a future at the club.

Lasley - People called for him to be brought on last night but at the end of the day, the were a more athletic and physical side than we are and so I doubt he would have made a difference...when it comes to the SPL though he will be a good asset still offering cover and relief in midfield.

This sqaud has been pieced toghether in a VERY short space of time, but looking at it just now it will do well in the basics of the SPL.

A team using what we have and what we need to take that next step up, challenging for third...bugger it second B-) would be...

------------------------Ruddy--------------------------------

New Right Back (Phycially large)-----------Hutchienson-----------New Centre Half(Large Physcially)------Reynolds

-----------------Forbes-------------Jennings---------------

Humphrey----------------Coke--------------Slane-----------

-----------------------Sutton---------------------

Subs-

Fraser

Hammell

Craigan

Lasley

Murphy

New Striker/attacking mid

New Stiker

So all in all, I believe we need at least 4 new players to challenge top 3 etc.. and have a sqaud adaptable to win cups etc.

We have a very good base, time to take it up that next level.

Every goal stems somewhere from someone losing possesion or making a mistake.

Best idea is not to get hung up on it - only end up turning players into the new Fitzpatrick.

btw the goals last night included Steaua several players waltzing across the entire field unchallenged, a nutmeg, an unchallenged header, an oggy. In fact the third goal if I mind right stemmed from an even slacker loss of posession than the 2nd.

However it's a game of fitba - played at pace - and involves trying to move and contol a shiny leather spherical object. Shit happens.

We don't need to dish oot 12 lashes of the birch efter a spannish inquisition for every goal.

C'mon the well

The team - We all know that we lost a rediculous amount of players over the past few weeks, and some good ones at that. Yet at Nancy last year with these 'stars', Hughes etc...we attacked less and showed less fight against a side who were in comparison to Steaua, mediocre.

Aye! +1

Morning after and time for reflection.

I believe that looking at last nights result in terms of other Scottish teams in European action is a good place to start.

Falkirk - Knocked out by a side from Lichtenstein - Embarassment.

Saying they lost to a team in Lichtenstein is little bit amiss because they played in the Swiss Premier League and constantly beat the bigger teams of that league like Basle at home. In fact, last year in the UEFA Cup they went out to Basle due to away goals, and if it wasn't for the Basle keeper would have cruised into the next round.

Agree with everything else you say though.

Saying they lost to a team in Lichtenstein is little bit amiss because they play in the Swiss Premier League and constantly beat the bigger teams of that league like Basle at home. In fact, last year in the UEFA Cup they went out to Basle due to away goals, and if it wasn't for the Basle keeper would have cruised into the next round.

Agree with everything else you say though.

i thought they got relegated?