Steaua Vs Motherwell

rab_mackinnon

Welcome to the board mate. :rolleyes: Who would you say are the real danger men in your team and what position do they play?

Thanks mate. Our best player or at least the guy who is on a hot streak right now seems to be Bogdan Stancu , the forward who had a goal and an assist in the first leg against Ujpest and another assist in the second game. He's got a good nose for the net and he can dangle like the best of them. Only 22 years old , he had a good ratio last season scoring 12 goals in 30 games as a 21 year old so that's pretty good. (It is rumoured that Inter Milano is keeping an eye on him )I like our goalkeeper , he's tall and can make huge saves. Only 23 years old and I think he could be one of the best prospects from Eastern Europe, definitely he's the future starter of the romanian national team . This guys stood out the most in the first two games , we have a good pair on defence ,both on the national team , Golanski as a right back is a member of Poland national team and Toja our midfielder and most creative player is a member of Columbia's national team.

About our weaknesses , certainly our left back is too old , short and he's not good at defending . Can cross the field but he hasn't much left in the tank. We don't have a strong defensive midfielder , our best player is on the injury list now and we replaced him with a 19 years old kid who has potential but also has a lot of work to do and isn't polished enough for that position.

Against counter-attack we aren't very good , our entire defence line isn't mobile enough nor has the speed to keep it up against forwards with good speed. We did very well against british teams because they play with long balls straight on their strikers and our defenders are like 194 cm (6 feet 4 ). And the goalkeeper is in the same range as well

We like to play a possesion game but we also can let the other team dominate , keep the pressure on us and strike on the counter-attack.

Like I said , you guys had a good chance against us because we are re-building right now and with a new coach and young players it's tough to get at the best possible level in one month .

Now can you tell me about your team?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now can you tell me about your team?

We will play within ourselves in the 1st leg, possibly let you win 1-0. Thus, luring you into a fall sense of security/optimism. Then in the return we will run riot, as we have done in the previous two rounds. Leaving you speechless as to what has hit you.

But, in all honesty with our new manager we do not play the "British way" by aiming long balls at the head of your 6ft 4" defenders.

We are now a team with immense pace from all areas of the field, and have players willing to take on defenders and go past players at ease.

Despite scoring 8 goals yesterday (which could have been so many more) we still do have difficulty in taking chances at times. We will certainly have to be more clinical if we are to get past Steaua.

But, confidence is high and we will cause you problems.

Got a feeling that it could be a large aggregate score between the two sides. Certainly feel far more confident in this younger Motherwell team scoring away in Bucharest than I did with us in Nancy last season. At least this time round, we may go there and actually have a go. At least be able to register a shot on goal (let alone on target).

Thanks "Hot". We have a very young team, our oldest scorer last night was 20! Going forward they are very quick and hungry, our defence however leaves alot to be desired. The goalkeeper has only played a few games but doesn't look the best at dealing with crosses, we have an older defender who has a good head but is perhaps a little slow at times. We also have no recognized right full back and our normal left back was dropped for last night. I would expect however we will have three or more new players in for the game against you. To sum up, our team is largely made up of talented youngsters who are hungry for success with one or two old heads to steady the ship we have our defensive frailties though.

Do you still have Goian and Radoi? Radoi got a bad injury against Italy I remember.

Goian is still here . As a matter of fact , both our CB's and the LB(even though he is way past his prime) are from the same team that went to the Uefa semifinal . And I think we improved in goal and on the RB. The problem is the midfield is no where near the level it was then and we miss our best striker from the last 10 years I could say(Dica the guy who scored 4 times in 6 games in the Champions League groups against top level competition).

Radoi is now playing in Arabia for a lot of cash :rolleyes:

Well the general consensus is that Motherwell will be a tougher opponent to get by and the score from last night has been given as example. Even our owner who is a clown and likes to give very optimistic reviews on the future games said that it's getting serious from now on .

I don't think we've ever had a news-worthy scoreline in Europe so just wondering Hot, what's the reaction in Romania been to last nights Motherwell - Flamurtari scoreline?

I was reading the Steaua forums and a lot of them were saying the game was rigged and that "someone" put a lot of money on the scoreline. :wallbash:

Of course it's possible. You're playing Steaua 2008, not Steaua 1986, and you play their team on the night, not their history. Their current position suggests they are average and could be beaten by Motherwell, and whilst it won't be easy, it isn't impossible. If Steaua were a real force, they wouldn't be pre-qualifying for the Europa League. It could be a very closely contested tie this.

Steaua Bucharest are not the side they once were, otherwise they would simply not be playing in the qualifying rounds of the Europa League. The fall of the communism destroyed the power base of many of the giants of East European football and their ability to retain their top players. Steaua will, however, be clear favourites to win the tie and I do fear they might be just a little too good for us at this stage. What gives me some cautious optimism however is the way in which Gannon has been prepared to change his approach following the first legs of the two ties we have played so far and to gear training for the second legs towards exploiting the opposition weaknesses he has noted in the first. My only real hope at this stage is that the tie is still alive after the first leg, after which anything can happen.

As someone pointed out in a match report I read, many of our players were not born in 1986 when Steaua won the European Cup so the name and status of the club won't mean as much to them as it does to those of us who are old enough to remember that team. The less the opposition's reputation means to our players, the more fearless they might be in their approach.

Aye but do you know anything about Steaua 2009?

Only that they are currently the sixth best team in Romania and are pre-qualifying for Europe in the same way as Motherwell. The Romanian league isn't renowned for its strength, which suggest to me they aren't a great side these days. If they were vastly superior to Motherwell, they wouldn't be meeting at this very early stage.

Only that they are currently the sixth best team in Romania and are pre-qualifying for Europe in the same way as Motherwell. The Romanian league isn't renowned for its strength, which suggest to me they aren't a great side these days. If they were vastly superior to Motherwell, they wouldn't be meeting at this very early stage.

I wouldn't put too much stock into this. The fans and the media always felt that Steaua has the best core of players on paper and they were clear cut favourites every year for the championship. Unfortunately we were run in the last 2 years by incompetent coaches and a lot of drama from the owner(drama queen,prima donna etc) has rubbed off in a negative way on the players. That's why they underachieved badly .

Things have changed , our coach is a former Lazio captain , he brought a good mentality to the club and most important he brought stability and the clown doesn't have much time on his hands to manage the club(he's involved in politics nowadays) so the pressure isn't how it used to be .

Doin a bit of creepin on Wikipedia there, I see some guy they signed last year, "Kapetanos" plays upfront, not bad goal ratio think it said 11 out of 23 games or something but 8 of they goals have came after the 83rd minute...

Here's a compilation with all his goals in his first year with us :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DN97Zm0zckM

Nothing outstading, just some good headers and he likes to pick up the garbage and score from inside the box.

Good info, Hot, thanks, and it should be a good tie. You will start as favourites for sure, but Motherwell could provide a strong challenge. I may be proved wrong, but I predict a tight score over two legs. <_<

You're welcome . I enjoy spending time on this board, a lot of nice lads and good talks going on . And of course if you can get a good read on the opponent , it's even better. :O