Steaua Vs Motherwell

rab_mackinnon

Steaua's objective is to go in the groupe stage. It will be a tragedy for Steaua if you win this.

Yes, the pressure to win is all on Steaua. You are historically a big club and are former European Cup winners. You might never have such a good side again but I expect your club will still believe you should be doing well in Europe every season. Motherwell, on the other hand, rarely qualify for Europe and although we obviously want to win every game, we're not expected to make any real progress so the fans treat each European tie as a new adventure.

Your English is good, no need to apologise.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steaua has to revenge the failure from the last seson. 6th place is a really miss for Steaua. They didn't finish on 6th in the last 34 years, so the fans were really dissapointed. Our recent performances : -2005: we defeated Valencia and qualified in Uefa last 16.

- 2006: Semi final in Uefa against Middlesbrough, were we lost in the last minute.

- 2006, 2007, 2008 - Uefa Champions League (Dinamo Kiev - Steaua 1-4, Lyon-Steaua 1 1, Real Madrid Steaua 1-0 - owngoal B. Nicolita, Steaua - Fiorentina 0-0, Galatasaray - Steaua 2-2, Steaua - Galatasaray 1-0)

As I understand it, Romanian football used to be similar to how Scottish football is now, with two big clubs (Steaua and Dinamo) dominating the domestic competitions. It seems that a few smaller clubs have emerged in recent years and have broken that domination. Why do you think this has happened?

Yes, Steaua and Dinamo were dominating the domestic competitions Steaua has 23 leagues won and Dinamo 18. In the last years the owners of the smaller clubs started to invest money in their clubs, so in 2008 CFR Cluj won the league and in 2009 Unirea Urziceni. That's all about. You need money for good players, good staff, good conditions etc

The football team Steaua was the team of the Army untill 1997. The other sections of Steaua (hokey, rugby, handball etc) are still of the Army. It is called CSA - Clubul Sportiv al Armatei. It means "sportiv club of the Army"

The football team Steaua was the team of the Army untill 1997. The others sections of Steaua (hokey, rugby, handball etc) are still of the Army. It is called CSA - Clubul Sportiv al Armatei. It means "sportiv club of the Army"

Thanks John, that's very helpful. I'm going to bed now but it's been very interesting to talk to you and to learn more about your club. As I said earlier, I have developed an interest in East European football but this has come mainly from books. It's good to talk to real fans like yourself and to read what you have to say about your club.

It depends. ;)

Now everybody is in vacation...

Probably 200 or 300 supporters, at least. There are many romanians living in UK that might wanna see a live game of Steaua. All the romanians ( not all, of course, i like to exagerate :D ) love Steaua!

In case you haven't find out by now, Steaua had 20.000 supporters in Bernabeu (a record for the Bernabeu stadium) when they played in Champions against Real Madrid. :huh:

42 % of romanian football fans are Steaua supporters , 3 % of scottish fans are motherwell supporters - talksport last night

Steaua only lost 2 - 1 against Arsenal at the Emirates stadium less than two years ago in the Champions League. This lot will be no mugs. If we're to get anything out of this tie we'll need to get an away goal and defend about ten times better than we did against Flamanturi and LLanelli.

It's not impossible but we'd be best to be realistic as well as optimistic.

Still - we can always dream.

The football team Steaua was the team of the Army untill 1997. The other sections of Steaua (hokey, rugby, handball etc) are still of the Army. It is called CSA - Clubul Sportiv al Armatei. It means "sportiv club of the Army"

Interesting piece in the Guardian recently about Romanian football in the 1980's,specifically Gica Popescu and the secret police:

Grauniad

Steaua's objective is to go in the groupe stage. It will be a tragedy for Steaua if you win this. Onicas, 2000 not 20.000 fans were on Santiago Bernabeu

LE: Sorry for my bad english

Hello and welcome. Your English is excellent, I bet there are very few Motherwell fans who can speak your language. Thanks for the information and I am sure we are in tougher against Steaua and it will be a very tough game for us especially if we lose the 1st leg by a number of goals. I'm hoping we can score a couple away from home regardless.

Best wishes.

Interesting piece in the Guardian recently about Romanian football in the 1980's,specifically Gica Popescu and the secret police:

Grauniad

He proved that wasn't true. By the way, Dinamo Bucharest was the team of the police and secret police. They made a lot of bad things before 1989, that's why they get humiliated in european cups nowadays.

I think this tie is going to be tight. 2-1 to either side, if we lost it wouldn't be a disaster but if we went through it would be one of the biggest victories in the clubs history no doubt about it.

I think Gannon will go 4-5-1 away from home. Just to be cautious but I think he will try to get the wingers up helping Sutton as much as they possibly can because lets face it we aren't going to have alot of the ball over there.

Ruddy

Saunders Craigan Hutchison Reynolds

Humphrey Jennings Coke Forbes Slane

Sutton.

Cokes a dodgy one but if fit he probably will start. I also think Murphy will be really pushing for a start after Thursdays performance.

We have some problems now. Important players got injured or suspended for the first leg. I think that Bergodi will use a 4-4-2 formation:

Tatarusanu

Rada/Ninu - Baciu - Goian - Golanski

Grzelak/Nicolita - Onicas - Ionescu/Toja - Szekely

Surdu - Stancu

I wouldn't risk playing Coke unless it was absolutely certain there was no risk of us being done by UEFA over playing him. I'd be certain our club has done everything to ensure we are legally sound though. Given Steua's problems with key players, we are more than capable of coming home level on the night.

I wouldn't be sure how Gannon will approach this one. Does he do the age old Scottish tactic of sitting deep and hoping for the best. Play the right formation to hit Steaua on the counter or just go for it and see what happens.

To be honest I wouldn't be changing the Line up dramatically save for maybe a couple of essential positional changes. Murphy maybe dropping deeper and Jennings playing as a defensive mid in the hole. Even dropping Sutton and playing Humphrey up front on his own in order to utilise his pace

I wouldn't be sure how Gannon will approach this one. Does he do the age old Scottish tactic of sitting deep and hoping for the best. Play the right formation to hit Steaua on the counter or just go for it and see what happens.

To be honest I wouldn't be changing the Line up dramatically save for maybe a couple of essential positional changes. Murphy maybe dropping deeper and Jennings playing as a defensive mid in the hole. Even dropping Sutton and playing Humphrey up front on his own in order to utilise his pace

this was what i was goin to say because Sutton is only good if high balls are played to him and theres no way unless he plays out on the right wing that he'll win the headers

maybe put slane up with murphy , humphery and o'brien on the wings and either forbes and jennings or forbes and coke as i think jennings height will be a problem in this game

Anybody know how many current internationalists Steaua have at the moment?

That is list with Steaua's player who was selected from their national team:

Robinson Zapata (GK) - Colombia 3 selection - 0 goals

Ciprian Tatarusanu (GK) - Romania U21 13 - 0

Dorin Goian (CB) - Romania 27 - 5

Pawel Golanski (RB) - Poland 13 - 1

Ionut Rada (CB) - Romania 2 - 0

Petre Marin (LB) - Romania 9 - 0

Sorin Ghionea (CB) - Romania 13 - 1

Ifeanyi Emeghara (LB) - Nigeria 2 - 0

Ovidiu Petre (DMC) - Romania 23 - 1

Rafal Grzelak (LM) - Poland 2 - 0

Juan Toja (AMC) - Colombia 3 - 0 (Colombia U20 - 15 - 3)

Banel Nicolita (RM) - Romania 27 - 1 (Romania U21 - 13 - 1)

Andrei Ionescu (AMC) - Romania U21 5 - 0

Razvan Ochirosii (LM) - Romania U21 8 - 0

Eric Bicfalvi (MC) - Romania U21 10 - 0

Pantelis Kapetanos (CF) - Grecee U21 13 - 2

Romeo Surdu (CF) - Romania U21 11 - 0

Bogdan Stancu (CF) - Romania U21 15 - 5

Krum Bibiskov (CF) - Bulgaria 1 - 0 (Bulgaria U21 - 21 - 4)