Steaua Vs Motherwell

rab_mackinnon

Waved flags and banners with maps of Greater Hungary (including Transylvania, where I happen to live; and did this whilst transiting Transylvania itself), threw cans of beer and firecrackers at the bystanders on every platform where the train stopped, as well as spitting, yelling and swearing at them; women or elderly, made no difference. They were completely unprovoked - did all this from the minute they entered the country. There were some reports of urine-filled water bottles that were sprayed out the windows, but it's probably an exaggeration.

As repugnant as the Steaua banner was, this puts it into context a bit.

And it also explains why I appreciate the general feel of the Motherwell tie so much. That's what football should be all about. It's a sport! I want to be able to take my kid to any game, anywhere, at any time of the day, without being worried I might have to shield him from mindless opposing fans.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Waved flags and banners with maps of Greater Hungary (including Transylvania, where I happen to live; and did this whilst transiting Transylvania itself), threw cans of beer and firecrackers at the bystanders on every platform where the train stopped, as well as spitting, yelling and swearing at them; women or elderly, made no difference. They were completely unprovoked - did all this from the minute they entered the country. There were some reports of urine-filled water bottles that were sprayed out the windows, but it's probably an exaggeration.

As repugnant as the Steaua banner was, this puts it into context a bit.

And it also explains why I appreciate the general feel of the Motherwell tie so much. That's what football should be all about. It's a sport! I want to be able to take my kid to any game, anywhere, at any time of the day, without being worried I might have to shield him from mindless opposing fans.

It was always going to be a fiery affair. I must admit I can't abide the Greater Hungary maps, everywhere here. Its 2009 and were all in the EU, let it lie.

Where abouts in Transylvania do you live?

Cluj-Napoca. I reckon about three quarters of my neighbours are of Hungarian descent, as well as our family doctor and quite a few of my colleagues. Felt a bit embarrassed about that banner when I talked to them the following day. I wonder how Steaua's winger János Székely felt about it. The boy's as Hungarian as they come!

It's refreshing to see that normal people don't care much about the political drama, but normal people never make the news. All it takes is a handful of inebriated hotheads and you're set for a week of public debate.

Cluj-Napoca. I reckon about three quarters of my neighbours are of Hungarian descent, as well as our family doctor and quite a few of my colleagues. Felt a bit embarrassed about that banner when I talked to them the following day. I wonder how Steaua's winger János Székely felt about it. The boy's as Hungarian as they come!

It's refreshing to see that normal people don't care much about the political drama, but normal people never make the news. All it takes is a handful of inebriated hotheads and you're set for a week of public debate.

It really is quite stupid in Hungary, but not helped with the right wing mentality that is about just now (Nemzeti front, et al). I still have to tell some people that I am going to Nagyvarad when I am going to Oradea, shocking.

These people believe that all Transylvania want to be Hungarian again, you get across the border and no one cares.

I was reading an article about Janos Szekely earlier, I think he was highly embarrased about the whole thing.

Cluj is a lovely place (if not a little industrialised), but not to far from Sighisoara, thats the business.

Anyway, like everyone else, will be looking out for Steaua results, but don;t think I'm brave enough to walk about Budapest with the strip on :D

I couldn't care less about the opinions of said hotheads, what worries me is that they instill them on their children. Since the latter are unlikely to have other strong figures talking to them about politics until they enter high school, they'll end up becoming adults with strong, yet biased beliefs even though most of them haven't even so much as talked to a Romanian. If they would, they could find out how some of us love Hungarian cuisine (guilty as charged), drink Hungarian wines and regularly visit Budapest for the beautiful city that it is. Funnily, this feud seems to be taking place over Transylvania's head so to speak - it's between Budapest and Bucharest. The land in question doesn't seem to give a damn, probably because we've discovered we can live together quite happily. In bed with the enemy, as those Nemzeti lads would surely say!

Like you said, it's the 21st century, we're all in the EU, might as well shake hands and call it a day. Not being a tree-hugger or a defeatist, I'd just like to get on with my life without having to worry about a non-issue. It's the Balkans, bad things have happened hereabouts not too long ago. Short fuses everywhere.

P.S. Glad you enjoyed my city, Andy.