Steaua Vs Motherwell

rab_mackinnon

:O:O

6:38 and you're up already or are you just getting home from last night ??

:lol::lol:

I wish - closest I got to Bucharest was the stream on this damn PC :blink:

Still, looking out my passport for the return leg in your neck of the woods :doh:

MON RA DOSSERS

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must say I feel quite philosophical about the game last night. Steaua showed how impressive they are from midfield to front with some superb passing and movement, skill which no-one in the SPL could've coped with any better than we did.

Okay we lost bad goal but it could've been more, and there can be no doubting the effort the lads put in. Barring a miracle we're out but let's get as many along to the Shiteberry next week to cheer the team on, they fully deserve our backing and maybe we can end our best ever European campaign with a win.

Well said, i'm in total agreement with that.

Had a good trip...was a bit apprehensive seeing as I was travelling on ma tod but met a few well fans on charter. 'steeledge' was also on his tod, we were at same hotel so wondered about town together Wednesday night. Found a few decent bars but there was a lack of dossers about.....think the city was just too big and there wasn't a designated meeting spot. Met another couple and son and went for a meal.....waited hour and a half for our selection of food which included (menu names) 'duck chest, potatos with green stuff and a nice pig killing feast :blink: The streets got dead pretty quick so went for few beers at another pub then headed back to hotel bar (dearer than over here!).

Woke up day of the match 10 mins before breakfast stopped but managed to get a bite. Met with steeledge again and another guy called Donald (both top guys :doh: ). Was loads more 'well fans about at the pubs. Had to endure a roasting bus ride to stadium where we were greeted by terminator dressed cops who put us in a fucking human sheep pen and we were searched three times before getting to our seats! Don't really need to say much about the match apart from the atmosphere was pretty decent but their fans were harmless despite all the warnings....they actually applauded us at the end.......think that was mainly cos we applauded the Bucharest team during there 'lap of honour'. All in all had a good time but I could imagine Nancy was better

Posted pics on the other thread

Most of you seemed to enjoy Steaua's way of playing, in particular from midfield up. In that case the most important man was...the coach.

Could you believe that the two young midfilders Onicas and Ionescu were considered by the former coach "not good enough" and played for the second team in the III-rd League? Two other players from the first 11 were also sent on loan last year.

If you had watched our team playing a few months ago you would have started to laugh.

Anyway, I was shocked by Aberdeen's and Celtic's results.

Great to read all the positive posts. I can't remember a pre season that has generated such childlike excitement in me. The entire club and team has transformed. A month ago I was thinking about how a new manager was going to scrape together a team that could avoid relegation.

Now, I could of course be wrong, but forwards aside, this team looks as good as last years. If Gannon manages to find us a 15-20 goal scorer, I'll piss myself.

Although I've criticised Boyle in a few posts I now give praise when its due. He looks to have made a good choice of manager again. (I include MM because although I disliked him strongly in the end, I acknowledge the good football and success).

Boyle's been in the job a wee while now and he's taken us to and brought us back from some scary places. Perhaps he's learning to be a successful and popular chairman.

A Vidicesque centre-half and I'm in the Crichton.

their fans were harmless despite all the warnings....they actually applauded us at the end.......think that was mainly cos we applauded the Bucharest team during there 'lap of honour'.

16kui3c.jpg

we have no rivalry with Scotland, why would have we wanted to cause trouble ? expecially when your fans looked like the most peaceful supporters in the world :)

P1000685.jpg

P1000670-1.jpg

Wouldn't want to burst your bubble, but Steaua need every win they can get their hands on. As of next season their high coefficient from 2005/06 (when they reached the semis) will count for nothing, so they need to rack up as many wins and points as possible to make sure they're still seeded in future draws (and by raising Romania's overall coefficient, we get more teams in the UCL and Europa League - currently a total of 6). So don't expect them to take the return leg too lightheartedly. :)

I think if Steaua come out to absolutely kill off the tie and go at us then we could be in for a hard night but I fancy we'll see a better performance from ourselves. Optimism maybe but I reckon we can play better than what we showed, and with home advantage of a sort we should see a much more evenly contested game. Steaua's extra class will likely show in the end but so long as we don't chuck away an early goal I hopeful it'll be a decent game and that we can get a goal or two. Nil chance of the clean sheet to make things really interesting though.

Line up wise would like to see O'Brien start ahead of Humphrey and Murphy in for one of the midfielders.

Rangers played in Steaua stadium in 1988, during the Steaua golden era with Hagi, Lacatus and co.

This was the Piturca goal, the first one of a 2-0 victory, in the minute 2 of the game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8hyZxqK4_k

You can see the strong Steaua pressing after only 2 minutes. The 2nd leg ended 2-1 for Rangers.

Rangers and Steaua played again in the Champions League in the 90's (1-0 in Bucharest and 1-1 in Glasgow).

The best chance we have of winning the tie is telling them the return leg is being played at Fir Park :P

You are right (as always ;) ), that would be a good move, but unfortunately it's likely not going to happen....although...... :(

@Keff

Steaua is one of the most powerful teams form Eastern and Cental Europe.

As playing that in the UEL qualifying rounds accession in UEL group stage was a mere accident.

After revolution Steaua won 9 times championship - take 2nd place for 7 times, 3rd place for 2 times, 4th place for 1 times, and last yaer 6th, won the Romanian Cup only four times (last in 1999), (because the owner are not interested this trophy, in the cup matches always introduced kids form second team, he said he's not interested for the Romanian Cup, him is only interested to playing Champions League because will receive 10 million euro. It is our owner, is only interested in money received from UEFA, does not want performance), five times Romanian Super Cup and twice finalist. = 18 trophies in 20 years.

In the last three years we have qualified in the Champions League group stage, we would not "parachute" as did the CFR Cluj and Urziceni Urziceni, directly in group stage. In 2006 Steaua played Uefa Cup semi-finals, where was eliminated by Middlesbrough to a 89th minute goal.

I hope you enjoyed in Bucharest...

Just back from Bucharest. It was an enjoyable trip and the City itself was absolutely fine. Never seen so many Bentleys in one city and that includes London. Those who have money obviously have loads of it.........The nightlife was good and the people by and large were very accomodating and as for the girls :mellow:

The Romanian robocops were a sight to behold. You would not want to have an arguement with them.

The game itself was a little uncomfortable viewing as from the get go you could see a humping may have been on the cards. Thanks to Ruddy we narrowly avoided one. I say get him signed now! It is hard to judge the players when playing a team of that level. They were a decent outfit, but that also had to be combined with the atmosphere the away fans created and it was a good test for most of our young players.

I think they probably will score away from home, but if we give a better account of ourselves and get a draw or narrow win then that is as much as can be hoped for.

I thought by and large everyone put in a decent shift and coke looked fairly assured on the ball. Humphreys had a bit of a mare and was more culpable for the second goal than anyone else. Right now IMHO O'Brien is a better player and should have started. Also surprised Hammell did not start as he naturally has more experience and when he did come on as with O'Brien we looked a little more solid than the first half.

All in all a great trip and despite the result - hopefully we will be better prepared for the SPL season and the first game v St Johnstone.

What it matters is that you guys are rebuilding a team..that now will have a mark for "what it takes".

And it is up to them to reach it..in the next years.

Your biggest problem will be keeping on to them so that the Well could benefit.

Well said. Think everyone appreciates that the 8-1 in the previous round was a geat result but the europa cup started with Steau. No harm in losing to them from the reports I have read. Indeed they got any other wonderkids that we can loan?

Mon the Steau but mon the well mair! 3-0 to the well... :mellow:

I'm still in Bucharest. Back tomorrow. It's 31 deg here. Never made it to Transylvania but there's always next year...

I haven't had time to read 50-odd pages of this so don't know who's said what but can I remind everyone that what went on in Bucharest stays in Bucharest. You know who you are. PM me when you've had the all-clear.

So, anything we should fear?

All Best,

Sorin

Probably a dodgy pie and the rain but apart from that don't think your team will have too much to worry about. The scouts from the old firm might be there though to try and take away some of your decent players.

Will be happy with a draw and over the fecking moon with a win.