Steaua Vs Motherwell

rab_mackinnon

Good performance from the boys tonight, they should walk out of the game with their heads held high, they did themselves no shame tonight as at the end of the dae, stauea are a class above us in terms of passing, ability etc etc ... but we gave them a run for their money tonight and no one can fault them.

can just imagine the headlines in the papers tomorrow

Hummiiation for scottish football etc etc .....

but the real fact is that we dont have the money the celtics and the rangers and other well heard names in european football have ... and yess that does make it difficult for smaller teams like motherwell to compete .... however, whoever we get... we always give them a run for their moneyy and am pround of what the team didi tonight, dont know about other fellow fans but heyy... its football and not everyone agrees, its paet of the game.

anywayys, credit to the boys tonight, they done themselves and the club pround tonight, but also some credit has to be given to steua, yeah the penalty was soft, yeah we should have our fair share of penalties and free kicks ... but just wasnt to be... cause the ref was a WANK !!!

also, was watchin gannon and the way he shouts and commands is just what we are needing as a team... if he sees a player not doinf their job... hes staright on their case and love his fiesty character :D

looking forward to the season oppening in perth ... should be great.

MON THE ''WELL

p.s ........ mark mcghee wank wank wank :mellow::)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought we played well tonight, Gannon got his tactics spot on. Don't wanna see O'Brien at right back again though.

Also, whoever sitting behind me complaining about their penalty (a stonewaller) needs to have a word with himself. :) We didn't lose the game because they stole a few yards at throw ins you utter minge. :mellow:

Ha ha no no my friend, Stancu dived, Murphy was fouled.

I couldn't see the first incident very clearly because of other players blocking the view. You can barely see an outstretched arm from a Steaua defender (so there is a chance of foul play), but it looks like Murphy tried to reach the cross ball, tripped as he was trying to hit it and fell on his behind. As for the second stunt, the one in the 6 yard box, he dived head in. Maybe if he hadn't flailed his arms like that asking for a pen.. When has a player ever obtained one by pleading with the ref?

I don't think Ionescu's handball was intentional (as in, trying to obtain an advantage in the game). It was a split-second instinctual response, to shield his face from the shot.

Even so, there's an unofficial 'law of compensation.' If you have 3 not very obvious penalty appeals, you should get a penalty that third time. The ref mustn't have heard about it.

P.S. Oh, and I don't think Stancu had a very clear penalty either. He was surrounded by a handful of Motherwell defenders so it's unlikely he would have managed to get past them - probably entered the box looking to be brought down.

Pretty sure that, had it been the other way, Steua fans would have been demanding the head of the Ref for not giving them a Pen. He was a shitbag tonight.

Pretty sure that, had it been the other way, Steua fans would have been demanding the head of the Ref for not giving them a Pen. He was a shitbag tonight.

no, we are fair, the referee took stupid decisions and the majority for us! why to lie when this was the truth? 

Not saying your'e not fair mate, just think that if we'd got all the decisions tonight you probably wouldn't be happy. Had the Ref given decisions as they should've been made, we'd have won tonight and went close to qualifying. We could and perhaps should have levelled the tie before you got going based on chances and decisions, but hey, that's football sometimes. We'll bounce back. Certainly hope you go far in the competition!

Very happy with tonight. Scoreline was a bit disappointing - I think we deserved at least a draw, but the performance against a top side was fantastic.

Let the clowns over on Pie & Bovril tell themselves that we'll struggle this season, but tonight just confirms that we'll have no problems.

We still need a right back, and a centre half & striker would be nice, but we'll be a mid-table side next season at least IMO.

I'm really excited at the prospect of a Coke & Forbes midfield duo next season, and with Slane looking top class and big Sutton on top form - we can fly into the new football year after a cracking pre-season and with some memorable moments behind us.

Bring it on.

I was at the game and from my view it seemed like a stone wall penalty but thats just my opinion on it.

Referee had a fairly bad game but he wasn't the worst.

Whole Well team played superb and if we play like that this season we'll get 3rd place easy.

MON THE WELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JIM GANNONS WELL ARMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :):mellow::D

Had a good time tonight. Really pleased with how the team is gelling and of course the great football we're starting to play. Hopefully we can keep that up.

Congratulations must go to steaua for playing some great football also and over the 2 legs they deserve to go through. Good luck to them.

Think Gannon has really created a feel good factor for the fans/players and we will go into the new season ready to give it a good go. I've actually never felt so good after watchin the well get put out a cup as we have just got a glimpse of what we will hopefully be watching in the coming season.

Coke, hutchison, slane were class tonight and they will be big players for us. Gannon also has passion for the game and he's already made an impact. Hopefully we're not building him up for a fall and i'm confident that, if we continue with this style of football, we will be in the running for a euro place again next year as the teams around about us aren't any better than us with the exception of maybe hearts.

Aw and also, that referee was a class A tosser

Mone the well

I'd say a fair statement, I still remember when we played Liverpool back in 2003, 1-1 home and lost 1-0 away (UEFA Cup) but in the game at Anfield the referee refused us a blatant penalty. But it was Liverpool, we seemed too small to bother the overwhelming odds even when we actually deserved it. I'm not saying we would've won, Liverpool could've beaten us 2-1, 3-1, 3-2 etc and still go through but being denied a penalty and a true chance to a deserved upset really felt like shite. I understand your frustration but I also have to caution you ... continental referees are very different from british ones.

thought the ref was ok, would have said he had a good game if had had given one the two decent claims I thought we had. O'Briens challenge though was clumsy and clearly a penalty.

We were pretty decent tonight though, if we had got the second goal I think we could have done it. Not to be though, Steaua showed the quality to be clinical despite not playing well. We shown some promise, hope Gannon gets a few more players in and we could have a right good season.

Just imagine. We get the penalty, we are two-nil up. Then a third. And it wouldn't have been impossible with a different Referee tonight. That would've been equal, and not beyond the question. Anyway, I fancy we'll take the SPL by storm this season.

The referee was abysmal tonight. La Liga?? No my friend, you'd be chased off a junior park.

Motherwell were tremendous. Fantastic fight, brilliant strike from Forbes. Coke, Hammell, Hutchinson and Big John were all exceptional. Optimistic about heading into the new season. Another striker and defender to give us options, but this team is looking good. Jim Gannon is the answer.

Fair play to the Steaua boys, they were classy in the first leg and were clinical tonight whilst playing poorly.

Onwards and upwards!

Yes, but in Liverpool-Steaua we were at least equal with them, missing a lot in Bucharest and having 2 posts. And in Liverpool we played equal. But the double leg Mothewell-Steaua wasnt equal, there is still some difference...

What do you mean 'we played equal' in Liverpool? Any two teams are equal at the start of a game.

Motherwell weren't suddenly conjured up in the third qualifying round, they had 4 European matches before that. If they made it through, then they started as equals against Steaua (who also arrived from an earlier qualifying round).

Delighted with the team tonight if not the result. I thought our performance deserved a win tonight. Steaua deserve to go through on the merit of the first leg which could have been much worse but I thought tonight we salvaged a lot of pride and deserved to bow out on a high.

Until their penalty (which I have to say was the correct decision) they didn't look like causing us too much trouble and it seemed like it was only a matter of time until we scored again. Unfortunately, the referee had an absolute howler as did the near side linesman (was it Stevie Wonder?) and we were denied a number of penalty claims which should have been given (2 handballs and Sutton almost had his shirt ripped off twice in the first half). With a stronger referee, had we been given a penalty and gone 2-0 it could have been a very different outcome. If I was as bad at my job as those two I would have been sacked long ago.

But, they got the break and showed that when quality players get a chance, they take it. 2 very good goals from Steaua, especially the second and we faded out the tie.

Some great performances from the lads though. If Jim Gannon can get the players performing like that in the SPL, we could be in for another exciting season.

Congrats to Gannon and his coaching team the team were well prepared and for 60 minutes looked like they were the experienced European campaigners. I thought Coke, Forbes and Sutton played well and I look forward to the game in Perth. Steaua were clinical when they got the chance although with a different ref we could have been out of site by the time they scored. Big difference was their professionalism in getting the decisions from the ref.

First time I've ever seen football/referee corruption in the flesh and I have to say it leaves you feeling really shit. We were the best team for almost an hour, Steaua just couldn't handle us and were crumbling under the pressure. Penalty was soft and the ref couldn't wait to give it, fuck he had the whistle in his mouth and arm at the ready before the boy was in the box!!!!! 3 penalties not given, a multitude of downright baffling decisions in Steaua's favour. A fantastic performance from the lads and Mr Gannon deserves tons of Credit. We will fucking pump St Johnstone if we play the same as we did for the first 50/60 mins. Steaua I would expect to crash out in the next round as they can't travel, can't handle the pressure and won't be able to pay off a ref against a bigger club like Lazio or Roma.

Another article from the Romanian press:

One diamond, 10 fakes

Steaua without Goian is like Paris without the Eiffel Tower. And the two central defenders, Ghionea and Baciu, have a boulevard the likes of Champs-Elysees between them. Steaua gains a great deal by having transferred Tănase, but is left with a void after Goian's departure.

It wasn't just the central defenders who were awful last night, but the entire defence. Grzelak has finally shown his limitations, dribbling sideways and in reverse - never forward. Ionescu was the brain again, albeit a virused one. Steaua were spread all over the Airdrie pitch. I honestly believe they would've been spread all over town were it not for the stands. A long, long team, with an isolated Bibishkov and a rarefied midfield, suffocated and jammed in the grass. I don't think I want to see that ordeal of a first-half ever again.

The good news is that Steaua won (again) despite playing poorly. The bad news is that the subs don't come close to the first team's level of play. And when you want to win the league, the Cup and go as far as possible in the Europa League, it's tough to expect all of that from 11-12 players.

The game in Scotland was one by a single player, Bogdan Stancu, who seemed an alien cast away between 10 red & blue earthlings. A penalty at 0-1, a beautiful goal and then another one that finally quieted down the feisty Scots - arguments that show how Stancu is Steaua's gem. Him and Tănase will be the aces up the manager's sleeve on the road towards the 24th league title.

Steaua I would expect to crash out in the next round as they can't travel, can't handle the pressure and won't be able to pay off a ref against a bigger club like Lazio or Roma.

I'm sorry to say it my friend but you give "sore loser" and "bias" a good name!

You played a great game guys! You would've deserved a draw, but I can't say I'm not happy for the result.

Good luck in the SPL, you can play great when you have confidence in yourself!

We'll keep in touch!

Regards,

Bogdan

All the best to you Bogdan and to Steaua. Just wish that it had been a bit closer but sometimes you just have to put your hands up and say the best team won.

good fight tonight. cracking strike for the goal by forbes. coke looks as if he could do a job. steaua were class but i thought the result flattered them severly.

an to the ginger c**t who went down the front at half time to shout abuse at the away support, you're a fuckin banger mate!