Steaua Vs Motherwell

rab_mackinnon

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Rickoza: As you have probably noticed by now, Steaua has plenty of friendly, literate fans, who see no problem in admitting their teams' faults and the virtues of its opponents.. As well as some teenagers who are well past their bedtime. Pay no attention to them (yes, that's you, Vladtheimpaler).

The lads performed absolutely to the limit of their ability. A second goal, which we deserved, would have made a difference, but we lack the ability in midfield and up front to score goals against a high quality defence. My feeling is that Steaua are as good as Liverpool and their keeper could be the best in the world - and is a better actor than Tom Cruise.

Steaua were a typically cynical East European team and the ref was a disgrace. His worst moment of many was failing to book the keeper for his early "dying swan" routine.

Dreams are great while they last!

St Johnstone, Beware!

We deserved to win tonight so to lose 1-3 is hard to take.

Overall a pretty good performance just a shame that our heads went down a bit after some unlucky breaks in the second half.

And seriously, you think Scottish referees are bad and then you see that. How the third goal was allowed I'll never know.

Anyway we gave a decent account of ourselves against a pretty good team and gave them a wee bit of a scare for a while.

Bring on the season proper.

RUDDY - 6 - Had nothing to do for most of the match and yet had to pick the ball out the net three times.

HUTCHINSON - 6 - A bit sloppy in possession but defended reasonable well and has potential.

CRAIGAN - 7 - Kept the Romanian strikers quiet for the most part until the general collapse.

HAMMELL - 6 - Think it was him that gave away the penalty although I didn't get a good view. Otherwise a good shift from Hammell.

REYNOLDS - 8 - Though he did really well in the midfield holding position and we suffered he was substituted.

COKE - 7 - Big, strong, unspectacular but made his presence in the midfield known.

FORBES - 7 - Another great performance from Forbes, excellent goal but faded badly towards the end when you could see his confidence had been badly effected by the Romanian goals.

O'BRIEN - 6 - Same old story, works hard, pace causes problems but he just doesn't have the final touch.

SLANE - 6 - Like some of the other young players tonight was just a little too much for him, decent performance though overall, if not quite up to his previous displays.

MURPHY - 6 - Nothing really fell for him tonight but worked hard and gave the Steaua defence something to worry about.

SUTTON - 7 - Good display from Sutton in what is a tough role to play, won many a header and flick on.

HUMPHREY - 2 - Still waiting for him to show something

JENNINGS - 2 - Not much impact, the tide had turned by the time he came on.

McHUGH - 4 - Only seen glimpses but tested the Steaua keeper and doesn't look uncomfortable at this level.

I thought even when we were on top there were signs what a quality team Steaua were on the ball though it wasn't quite happening for them. I felt our team deserved something from that game tonight though there always looked like there was a goal in our defence. I thought Giles Coke was superb, Sutton pretty good. Slane reminds me of Faddy, all the tricks and skill not so good at the decision making and Forbes despite his goal I think looks a bit slow on the ball. But they are kids and I'm sure they'll learn.

Having only seen the penalty claims once its hard to tell but my initial thoughts for both handballs were seen them given but not a stonewaller. The one we gave away clearly was.

Got to say the one thing that really pissed me off tonight was the way a significant minority left when it went 3-1. Those young guys burst a gut for the cause, played better than I ever thought they would and to me deserved a clap from every Motherwell fan at the end.

Roll on Perth.

Good luck in Europa League to Steau who were the better team over the 2 legs. Their ease and technique with the ball was a lesson for our youngsters as well as their clinical finishing (Fantastic strike for 2nd goal by Bogdan Stancu).

However, quite a lot of positives to take from tonight's performance from our team, especially from Forbes, Hammell, Reynolds, Coke, Sutton and Slane :P . For about 60 mins they made it possible to hope that we might actually get something from a game in which we dominated Steau (at least up to that point).

2nd Goal was vital and they got it. It gave them a platform from which to exploit the spaces we left as we chased the game. However it does seem to augur well that we have a squad with the potential to have a good season as shown in the first 60 mins. Only other thing we need to work on is the denying those spaces for teams to exploit that Steau did in last 20 mins.

Anyway all the best for the rest of season :doh: to the Steau Bucharest fans who have been kind enough to debate on the forum.

Were you at the game caller?

Well when you feign injury on numerous occasions to try and con the referee I call that cheating.

Fair shout, no, I wasn't at the game, but feigning injury, diving, simulation or whatever you want to call it is a worldwide trait which could be said of every team in every game that is ever played now. You've seen the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo, Didier Drogba, Daniel Alves play, so it's hardly fair to single out Steaua for those kind of tricks when virtually every team on the planet does the same. Football is becoming a non-contact sport, and as new rules evolve which exacerbate this so it will become even more widespread. It isn't right and strictly speaking it's cheating, yes, but I doubt Steaua tonight were any worse than most sides you will see. Indeed, the Scottish commentary team didn't make much of it, they clearly pointed the finger at the referee. The gamesmanship of the Steaua players wouldn't have changed the result, whereas the referee's calls might have. In every game a player from both sides will go down too easily, but it's the frequency which causes us to call certain teams cheats. Then again, every time a player is deliberately fouled that's a form of cheating too, yet we accept that ?

Vlad, you may have done a little too much celebrating, as in your rambling reply to Rickoza you didn't address his point that the tie could easily have been 3-3 by half time tonight if the ref had awarded two blatant penalties. Seems logical to me.

Why? They cheated on two occasions by defenders using hands to stop goal bound efforts, not to mention at least 6 occasions when what can only be described as wrestling on John Sutton went unpunished. By the way, I will be betting against Steaua away from home, You may think you are Barcelona in Bucharest, but your're Berwick Rangers away from Romania. I'm not going to be all nicey nicey when my team has been cheated out a game by a scumbag of referee and a team of guys who have lighter feet than Julian Clary and are a bunch of dirty bastards. Just ask Paul Slane how his ankles feel?

Hard statement, but you miss some things. Steaua is in full reconstruction, they sold Goian, Ogararu returned back to Ajax, Dayro Moreno "the pearl of Colombia" was sent at Steaua 2 because of unprofessional behavious, same as Semedo a very fast Portuguese winger. We decided to make clean and to give a chance to these youngsters, after 2 bad season and also having the biggest academy from East.

Tatarusanu is new GK, Surdu, Ninu and Bicfalvi are back from a loan, Onicas comes from the academy he was the captain there, Szekely is kinda new because the last season he played some months at Steaua 2 because of bad play, Bibishkov and Grzelak are new.

Ovidiu Petre and Emeghara are long-term injuries, but they were regulars.

Steaua changed absolutely all the team from the last season, just the defense not.

Steaua 2008: Zapata-Emeghara-Ghionea-Goian-Ogararu-Toja-Radoi-Ov.Petre-Nicolita-Moreno-Kapetanos

Steaua 2009: Tatarusanu-Marin-Ghionea-Baciu-Ninu-Ochirosii-Toja-Onicas-Szekely-Stancu-Surdu

Steaua today:  Zapata -Marin, Ghionea, Baciu, Ninu- Grzelak, Ionescu, Onicas, Nicolita-Stancu, Bibiskov

MAKE THE DIFFERENCE: in comparation with 2008, there 9 changes (!!!) and in comparation with the match from Bucharest, there are 5 changes...

Its very hard to play the same when you give the chance to every reserve, even the reserve of the reserve... and there was not so much time to do it! less than 2 months...

Good luck for the season Steaua - the referee never helped tonight but there is no doubting that the better team won over two legs. I thought the 'well were good tonight but it wasnt to be!

no, the referee made some mistakes in our favour, but i dont think we have something to do with this thing!

FCSB, your not the only one who's had changes made. We've recently lost our goalkeeper, our right back from last season, one of the best central midfielders we've had for a few years, two of our top goalscorers, our team is full of youngsters; Slane, Forbes, Hutchison, McHugh etc etc have barely kicked a ball for our first team. Added to that our management team has been completely changed, I think we've done not too badly!

Add to the fact we lost Bob Malcolm too, it's a miracle we made it as far as we did!

The amount of changes you've made, however, don't really have anything to do with what Burn Broomfield has said; he thinks that your team had a fair few divers & cheaters (I can't comment, as I only saw the last 20 minutes or so), and the amount of changes you've made to your team don't really have anything to do with his point.

@ GazzyB

Yes, both teams have a lot of youngsters and there is still a lot of work to do. The coaches are very important in this job.

About "the divers & cheaters", yes, it's TRUE, in Great Britain you play correctly football. But the Romanians are "Latins" not slavs and our biggest relatives are the Italians. And Inzaghi is the biggest diver and cheater! Same here, our players learn this thing from they are kids... But I personally dont agree with it!

If the opposition was so good tonight then why did they need to resort to their antics? That and the shocking ref ruined the game. So what it happens elsewhere, doesn't make it right.

What a shift Motherwell put in, some fine football, yes we were unlucky, yes we weren't going to make it through but if you have to win by diving, cheating, then why bother?

Why not just go out and play football and show what you can do? The lasting impression I have of the opposition tonight regardless of whether the ref had a shocker was that they were willing to cheat their way to a win and they didn't need to, considering they were 3 nil up already.

There's a lot to say for sportsmanship and they had none and if people are offended by this, too bad, it's the way it was.

As for Jim Gannon being sent to the stand for speaking his mind, good on him.

I dont know your club politic, but with players so young you cant have any chances :nod:.

Even a weaker team would defeat you, even a team from Bulgaria,switzerland,greece,Moldova,Cypruss etc. I understand is very nice to have youth players but in your team at least 7-8 were under 21. You can't have any chance in European Cups with that kind of players :(. the best is to have 6-7 players 25+, and rest of them youngers.

Anyway in this night match the performance was very very good for your team. The final score is very unfair, this is no doubt in my opinion.

With 4-5 experienced players in your team, this tie would have been a very close one. but with yougers with 0 experience no chance.

Superb first half performance, if we had got the penalty we deserved then it could have been a night you can only dream of. Special mention to Hutchinson, Reynolds and Coke who I thought were superb. Thanks to all the Steaua fans and I hope you come back and let us know how the next round goes......I have your team scarf I swapped in Bucharest proudly on my wall. Good luck

MON RAAAA FUCKIN WELL

RICKOZA.........stop inhaling glue and comeback here when you understand

this beautiful sport and you turn...18! lol

Just be happy

that Steaua REZERVES showed up, a bunch of kids that until last week made

$100 bucks a month at Steaua 2, in second division! Since 8 starters are out

with injuries and with cards. The 8 starters that didnt play today, the "real' Steaua:

., TATARUSANU,EMEGARA, GOIAN, TOJA, SZEKELY, KAPETANOS, GOLANSKY,SURDU !!

THIS IS THE REAL STEAUA! LUCKY YOU!

What different ref.? You should've had 2 players red carded for many awfull fauls!

Learn football mate, and learn how to lose gracefully! Steaua with all the starters,

would've embarrassed you worse than a week ago! The kids that played today didnt know

what they were doing, passing wrong, missing positions, untill the coach ..Yelled at

them at half time! The good: We got a good future with those kids, and SO DO YOU!

YOU GOT FEW KIDS WITH A LOT OF POTENTIAL!

Anyway, you are nice people and your club owner is a gentleman who romanians will

respect forever! Good luck! Im done with my Motherwell forum experience! Going

back to my ..Man United life! lol Wish your..Mothers well!

:nod:

Proud. As. Fuck.

Really gutted for the team tonight. We are excellent, and had 3 great chances in the 1st half, not including the goal or penalty claims. ONe of which was a stonewaller the other was a better claim than the one they got.

Ref was fucking murder tonight. Hope your next shites a hedgehog you Spanish c**t.

Steaua didn;t impress me either with there time wasting and cheating tactics. What was he goalie all about feigning injury and trying to waste time in the 1st half. Who the fuck do you think you are, St Mirren?? Saying that the 2nd goal was a beauty.

Proud. As. Fuck.

Really gutted for the team tonight. We are excellent, and had 3 great chances in the 1st half, not including the goal or penalty claims. ONe of which was a stonewaller the other was a better claim than the one they got.

Ref was fucking murder tonight. Hope your next shites a hedgehog you Spanish c**t.

Steaua didn;t impress me either with there time wasting and cheating tactics. What was he goalie all about feigning injury and trying to waste time in the 1st half. Who the fuck do you think you are, St Mirren?? Saying that the 2nd goal was a beauty.

Spot on

Got to say the one thing that really pissed me off tonight was the way a significant minority left when it went 3-1. Those young guys burst a gut for the cause, played better than I ever thought they would and to me deserved a clap from every Motherwell fan at the end.

I thought we were at Ibrox watching the glory hunters fuck off when their team had lost a tie. I for one was very proud to be a 'well fan tonight because I thought the boys gave their all for the cause.

PS a wee message to Hugh Keevans. Please spare us from your inane drivvel Motherwell Football Club far from disgraced Scottish football tonight so put away your shitey wee laptop and pick on some other team this season ya wee prick. (was going to post ya wee specky prick but people in glass houses (as I am a specky speckster too) shouldn't throw chuckies :D

Steaua I would expect to crash out in the next round as they can't travel, can't handle the pressure and won't be able to pay off a ref against a bigger club like Lazio or Roma.

The last time Roma visited Steaua they received 3 goals :D (and it was past year).

The last time a Romanian team visited Roma, the Italian lost (and it was past year too).

Do you think Steaua will tremble if they have to face Lazio or Roma?

First they should win the European Champions Cup

And then we´ll talk.

This guy still doesn´t know that today the Steaua team was 80% reserve (score 1-3 btw), but he still takes the conclusion that Steaua will fail in the away games. Bravo Einstein.

About "the divers & cheaters", yes, it's TRUE, in Great Britain you play correctly football. But the Romanians are "Latins" not slavs and our biggest relatives are the Italians. And Inzaghi is the biggest diver and cheater! Same here, our players learn this thing from they are kids... But I personally dont agree with it!

Oh my God! So because Inzaghi is a moron (he really is), all Romanians are.

Costin Lazar is Romanian and he did this

The dirty tricks are not something exclusive from the latins btw. Balkan teams do it (in football I consider Romania more balkan than latin), as well as Turks and others.

I don´t agree with those things either.

If the opposition was so good tonight then why did they need to resort to their antics? That and the shocking ref ruined the game. So what it happens elsewhere, doesn't make it right.

What a shift Motherwell put in, some fine football, yes we were unlucky, yes we weren't going to make it through but if you have to win by diving, cheating, then why bother?

Why not just go out and play football and show what you can do? The lasting impression I have of the opposition tonight regardless of whether the ref had a shocker was that they were willing to cheat their way to a win and they didn't need to, considering they were 3 nil up already.

There's a lot to say for sportsmanship and they had none and if people are offended by this, too bad, it's the way it was.

Having said that I don´t agree with dirty tricks and cheaters, I´d like to know in which moment the Steaua players showed lack of sportsmanship tonight.

The keeper wasting time? wow! welcome to European football. You in the UK have your very own style, we in the continent have other. It´s simple.

And if you think that Steaua won this by diving or cheating we have seen different games then. The ref was harsh on you, it´s true. But this happens sometimes; it´s part of football. Sometimes he´s harsh with you, sometimes he´s harsh with the opposition, sometimes he´s harsh with both...

I wish you better luck the next time.