Steaua Vs Motherwell

rab_mackinnon

And if you think that Steaua won this by diving or cheating we have seen different games then. The ref was harsh on you, it´s true. But this happens sometimes; it´s part of football. Sometimes he´s harsh with you, sometimes he´s harsh with the opposition, sometimes he´s harsh with both...

I wish you better luck the next time.

No mate. Most of us realise that over the two legs we were beaten by a very good team, and I wish Steaua good luck for the Europa League and the league season.

However last night for 55 minutes the dream comeback was most definitely on, and with a wee bit more luck and better refereeing decisions we could've been 2 or 3-0 up by then. Our lads were outstanding and deserved a better outcome on the night, but against quality sides you don't always get what you deserve.

Our lads should be proud of their performance last night and use it as a springboard to starting the PL season well. Must say well done to the superb Steaua support last night too, sang throughout and there is good numbers to.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No mate. Most of us realise that over the two legs we were beaten by a very good team, and I wish Steaua good luck for the Europa League and the league season.

However last night for 55 minutes the dream comeback was most definitely on, and with a wee bit more luck and better refereeing decisions we could've been 2 or 3-0 up by then. Our lads were outstanding and deserved a better outcome on the night, but against quality sides you don't always get what you deserve.

Our lads should be proud of their performance last night and use it as a springboard to starting the PL season well. Must say well done to the superb Steaua support last night too, sang throughout and there is good numbers to.

+1

Good comments, Yir Elder

This guy still doesn´t know that today the Steaua team was 80% reserve (score 1-3 btw), but he still takes the conclusion that Steaua will fail in the away games. Bravo Einstein.

I'm well aware that the Steaua team wasn't the strongest 11, but it wasn't a million miles away from it.

9 players from the 14 that played in Bucharest played last night . Zapata came in for Tatarusanu and Ghionea, Golansky and Szekely missed out, so hardly 80% as you say. You were failing last night until you got a soft penalty. Had we got our 3 penalties then it would have been 5 or 6 for Motherwell. btw Last time Lazio came to Bucharest they put 3 by Dinamo to go into the Champions League after losing the first leg.

You sound like an Aberdeen fan btw, You won the European cup 25 YEARS AGO and won't win it again so get over it. Your not the big team you once were...

Last nights result was a travesty. Motherwell outplayed this team and embarrassed them for the first hour of the game. The referee was the worst I have ever seen in my life and his assistants could not even distinguish the correct way a throw should be awarded. The ref must have been bad even the BBC and Daily Record say so FFS!!

Steau did show some class when the pressure was off but they looked a very ordinary side when we got in about them in the first half. However, I can't see them progressing much further given that they could not hold a very young and inexperienced Well side and needed the referee to rescue them, because we would have scored 4 or 5 if we had got 1 of the penalties. Even though they played 2 or 3 reserves they still had a team full of internationals.

But we should be proud of the team and they deserved every bit of applause they got at the end gives me some hope for the season.

For 50 odd minutes, it was an excellent performance. It was understandable that the heads went down after Steaua scored and after that we gambled by taking Reynolds off and exposing the defence a wee bit more so there was always going to be a chance we'd ship a couple more goals.

But let's focus on the positives. Coke, Sutton and Hutchison were all superb. I like the fact that although physically imposing, Coke has quick feet and seems to have a quick football brain. And Sutton seems to have found a new lease of life. Hutchison looks like the physically strong centre back we've been looking for since Partridge left town. He's a bit raw and he'll make mistakes but if we're going to deploy Mark Reynolds in front of the back four, he might get a chance to learn as he goes.

I thought the referee was poor, no worse than that. Although I love the fact that Gannon was angry enough to get sent to the stand. Already I have more affection for Gannon than I ever had for McGhee. No more Mr Nice Well...

For those of us who couldn't get to the game, or find a decent online stream, what formation did our starting XI line up in?

kinda looked like a 4-2-3-1 to me

o'brien craigan hutchinson hammel

coke reynolds

murphy forbes slane

sutton

Cheers.

Interesting to see players being asked to play in different positions. Reynolds: CB, LB, DM; O'Brien: RB, LW, RW; Fraser: GK, BENCH.

It's good to see Gannon's wanting to improve the versatility of the team, but also that he's willing to try new things. I know it's ridiculously early in the season to judge, but I had a slight fear that the new signings would be guaranteed starts just because they are his signings. However, Gannon's proved me wrong by bringing Hammell and Murphy back in and leaving out The Hump and Jennings.

Although our squad is paper thin, it appears they may (in some positions at least) be more genuine competition for places than last season.

Maybe your lads deserved a bit more last night. Loved your team in the first half. Maybe we weren't a far better side last night and there was a huge difference between the first leg and we looked weaker than last week, but determination alone couldn't do it for Motherwell. There's a huge gap in experience between Steaua and Motherwell and that's what saved the day for us. We lost the chance to play the UEFA Cup final back in 2006 due to the lack of experience, but lots was gained in these 3 years. And with your team's age average of 22, i think there's a lot more to be gained at this chapter. So we went 1 down pretty fast,yeah, but keeping the cool and turning things around is a sign of a good side. And winning in a bad day also. Your lads couldn't keep up with the pressure,that's that. I hear this is Motherwell's the best European performance so far. I say it ain't much but is a start. You gotta adjust to the football played in the European Cups, that indeed is a bit different of what you guys play. But this is experience and i bet you guys will get a lot more in the following years. Tbh, these were the only 2 games that i saw Motherwell play but i think that Gannon is making a good job. A small club with a bunch of youngsters that got talent maybe deserved better, but can't get it all in one game. There is much time ahead of you and i really hope you'll get better in the following years.

All in all , and i mean no disrespect, we were the better side and after this tie we won our spot in the playoffs fair and square. Hope we'll show we deserve it from now on. It's been a pleasure, lads. I wish you the best of luck and I really hope to see you again in European cups from next season on!

Once again, its the hope that kills you!

Not really much else to say that hasn't been said, but we were so very close to something stunning.

Pretty optimistic about this season.

On another note: I fucking love Jim Gannon, his respect of Steaua and the way he has carried himself throughout these games could not have been better.

I think Steaua were awful last night, and it was pretty much as I presented the Steaua team before the home game. I told you then that Steaua`s midfield is poor, and so it was! We played an improvised defence, which made us struggle a lot, and appearently this will be Steaua`s defence for now on, as Dorin Goian has signed for Palermo! I`m aware our team isnt the greatest and i hope we get an easy game in the play-offs as we are seeded!

About Motherwell... I knew you would play a lot better home, as all british clubs seem to do so, they put everything on, and never give up. It was a pleasure to watch Motherwell`s game in the 1st half, even tho I have to say I got a bit scared with it. Your players`s effort and loyalty for the club was huge, and you make us invisible on the football ground fo 55 minutes! It was a terrific effort and I have all the compliments for your lads! Brilliant!

About the referee....I doubt Steaua have paid the referee after 3-0 in the 1st leg, but i must say he has been awful! But...this is what spanish average referees are all about! I`ve seen a lot of spanish La Liga and i can say that they are very bad, nowhere near the level of the league. I knew he would give free kicks very easily, as this is the spanish style. He was a disgrace anyway.

And about the cheating....Is nothing to be proud for the Steaua supporters, but in the romanian league everybody does it. Is a lot different from what i see in the Premier League or in the Spl. I admire you guys for not cheating, and for playing the game so fair, it`s a shame the romanian mentality is so rubbish about this aspect of the game.

Good Luck in the league guys. Nice to read your comments! :)

i thought the boys put in a good effort last night but were beaten by a better team but im optimistic about the coming season and think we will do ok with the youth players showing no fear and playing for the jersey and the love for the club so lets get right behind the players and give them all the support we can :)

Games are over, our ways split here...

We sure do enjoyed chatting with you guys, and we hope we made a better impression than the albanians :D IF not, well ... blame it on our weather :lol:

I'll definitely keep an eye on Motherwell this season and probably I'll put a bet or two on them while against the others scottish teams ( except the old firm :P ). That way I'll make some money "with you" :)

Good Luck! and all the best from Bucharest, Romania!

Cheers! :wub:

Well, travelling from Forgewood as many did...

Groups have been drawn and Steaua's possible oppoments are :

Genoa CFC (ITA)

SK Rapid Wien (AUT)

CD Nacional (POR)

Saint Patrick's Athletic FC (IRL)

NK Maribor (SVN)

Genoa looks like a tough 50%-50% game if we draw it, the rest are easy.

If we won last night we would have been heading for the group stages.

Great performance last night, couldn't be more proud of the lads.

Nice wee touch at the end by Gannon getting the boys to clap Steaua down the tunnel.

Am buzzing about this season, if we can perform like that all season we might be having a wee european adventure again next season, can't see many of the spl teams being able to cope with the way Gannon says he wants to play.

i know its early days but we're a million miles away from where we were in the first round.

Mon The 'Well

@FCSB , this is not the english version of Steaua forums so stop posting all these details about the team when nobody is really that interested. The series is over and the Well fans are much more interested in their own players than in ours , believe me . I can't believe how much bragging I've seen here from the romanian fans ..if one Well fan would come to our forums and post a bunch about his team and how great , and how good they really are compared to your team how would you feel ? especially if they beat you out in a series

Anyway , last night game was a great improvement from what I saw last week from Well . This team is young and Coke,Slane,Murphy have a great future ahead. You definitely deserved at least a draw , but at least your confidence level is high enough to start on a tear in the SPL . Good luck guys,it was fun to hang around with you .

I will definitely be back whenever I have the time and cheer on your hopefully future great results.

Cheers

No we wouldn't as unlike the last round the draw was done after the results were known. We would have been un-seeded. We would have had to play one of the big guns - unlike Steaua

Apologies. I thought that was the seeded teams. I'l blame my hangover from last night for being a pleb :lol:

@FCSB , this is not the english version of Steaua forums so stop posting all these details about the team when nobody is really that interested. The series is over and the Well fans are much more interested in their own players than in ours , believe me . I can't believe how much bragging I've seen here from the romanian fans ..if one Well fan would come to our forums and post a bunch about his team and how great , and how good they really are compared to your team how would you feel ? especially if they beat you out in a series

Cut the lad some slack - maybe it's just me but it's interesting to read about other sides out with our own SPL pish

Steaua are the 11th seeds in this round of the Europa League(above the likes of Lazio, Everton, Aston Villa, Galatasaray,Fenerbahçe etc etc) - the lads done us proud last night with their performance when you think about how highly ranked Steaua are. I hope they get Hearts and wallop them wanks!!

PS ...Give us some players on loan :lol:

@FCSB , this is not the english version of Steaua forums so stop posting all these details about the team when nobody is really that interested.

I've quite enjoyed his contribution to this forum and it's refreshing to hear opinions based on a context outwith the SPL / well-fan bubble. Just skip past his posts if you don't like it because others on here are more than happy for him to keep posting, especially considering it's not even 24hours since we played them.

I've quite enjoyed his contribution to this forum and it's refreshing to hear opinions based on a context outwith the SPL / well-fan bubble. Just skip past his posts if you don't like it because others on here are more than happy for him to keep posting, especially considering it's not even 24hours since we played them.

Exactly he can post as much as he wants and is as welcome here as anyone else.