Steaua Vs Motherwell

rab_mackinnon

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just seen the highlights on Eurosport.

Did anybody else see what Jim Gannon got sent to the stand for? :nod:

Pen turned down Gannon was well lets just say animated........... as he was shouting at the ref the ref told him to calm down then right in his face Gannon rubs his fingers together and is clearly shouting "how much you getting" then goes back for seconds :lol:

We now play with passion and pride. Bring on the new season

IN GANNON WE TRUST :doh:

Is it the North or South that have been chasing the Romanians out of there homes? Could be a real grudge match.

That was a couple of days of madness in Belfast, so unlikely to have any bearing... was hardly a national vendetta anyway, and many of the Romanian families affected have started to returned to their homes there.

Would certainly be an easy enough jaunt down the road to Inchicore for me though... might be worth a visit, especially as I never made it over for any of our own home ties.

I have all the respect for the scottish people; I was expecting to have same respect from irish people. But seems irish people are very different from scottish people..

They are very bad, and talk about gipsies and shits like that in their forum. In this forum evrything was ok and seems scottish people are more civilized than irish.

All the respect for scotland people :doh:

I have all the respect for the scottish people; I was expecting to have same respect from irish people. But seems irish people are very different from scottish people..

They are very bad, and talk about gipsies and shits like that in their forum. In this forum evrything was ok and seems scottish people are more civilized than irish.

All the respect for scotland people :nod:

That is one of the best posts I've ever read :doh:

Right now I feel happy I hosted those students from Glasgow Uni a few years ago - makes me feel I had a minuscule contribution to the well-being of the Scottish people.

Ain't gonna host any Irish ones this half of the century. :doh:

So, anyway.. Do you feel you can make it to the top 4 in the SPL? As that would guarantee you another Euro adventure. It should definitely be your goal, I see you were only 5 points away this season.

I was in the main stand at the far end. I never really seen the incident with the handball but FFS that is one of the most stonewall penalties I've ever seen, he never hesitated much when their man takes a tumble in the box right enough :doh:

If we make it 2-0 before half time it would've been game on. It was great to see us dominate so much of that game but we really should've took more of our chances.

Proud of the lads on their performance :D

Decent piece in the Evening Times today.

Euro trip was adventure playground for Well kids

by Matthew Lindsay

IGNORE the doom mongers, cynics and pessimists who tell you it is a waste of time for Scottish clubs other than the two Old Firm giants to play in Europe.

Motherwell may well have joined fellow SPL clubs Falkirk and Aberdeen in making an early exit from continental competition last night.

However, the Fir Park club's mini-adventure in the new Europa League has been a hugely worthwhile experience for their young players.

Kids like Ross Forbes, Shaun Hutchinson, Robert McHugh, Jamie Murphy, Jon Page, Steve Saunders and Paul Slane will all have had their eyes opened by playing in the competition.

advertisement

Opened to the high standards they will need to attain in their careers in the future if they want to compete successfully at this level.

Opened to the superior style of play favoured in foreign countries - where the emphasis is heavily on passing, movement and technique.

And opened to the fantastic atmosphere which is generated when you square up to one of the most famous names in the European game.

None of those youngsters, or their older team-mates, will forget their meeting with Romanian giants Steaua Bucharest at the Excelsior Stadium last night.

Nor, for that matter, will any of the 4,000-plus Steelmen supporters who crammed into the Airdrie ground hoping to see their team produce a miracle.

Because, for nearly an hour, they seriously threatened to pull off what would have been one of the most incredible results in their club's history.

John Sutton, who ran tirelessly up front, was frustrated his side did not capitalise on their dominance of the former European Cup winners.

However, the experienced striker is positive both he and his team-mates will reap rich rewards from their involvement in the Europa League in the future.

He said: "I think we are more disappointed at the result than proud of our performance. We went ahead through a great goal from Ross Forbes and had them on the rack.

"We just didn't get the breaks we needed to get 2-0 ahead. It was unfortunate because that would have made it a very interesting game.

"But I have enjoyed the European run. We all have. It has certainly been far better for the team than playing in some meaningless pre-season friendlies.

"We will look to the season with confidence. The boys have all shown they can perform at a very high level."

Forbes, a player who has been thrust into the spotlight by new manager Jim Gannon, gave the home team the lead with a wonderful volley after 16 minutes.

And only some inspired goalkeeping by Rufay Zapata, as well as some ropey refereeing by Carlos Gomez, prevented the Scots from building on their lead.

Had Well been awarded a penalty when Andrei Ionescu appeared to handle a Jamie Murphy shot shortly before half-time it could well have been a different outcome.

Steaua later killed off the game as a contest when Petre Marin levelled from the spot.

An opportunist double from Bogdan Stancu, as their hosts went all out to win the tie and give their loyal followers something to cheer about, gave them a 3-1 win on the night.

However, the 6-1 aggregate scoreline did not tell the whole story of a gallant display by the Scottish side who, just a few weeks ago, had only 11 senior players on their books.

The benefits for new manager Gannon's side should be obvious in the coming weeks and months as they embark on their domestic campaign.

And in years to come, several Motherwell players may look back on the Steaua game and pinpoint it as milestones in their careers.

story of MFC, so close yet so far. Our history is littered with incompentent or even perhaps bent officials who have wrecked any chance we had. We should all be used to it by now, but it still leaves a bitter taste.

We are improving as a team with each passing game/week. That is all that we can ask given the mess that McGhee left behind.

For 1hr we mixed it with the big boys and had them rattled and all this with a very young team. Hopefully, their experience of european footballl will drive our players and give them the hunger to get back into europe next season.

He was suspended for last nights encounter anyway.

They certainly need to replace them, as at times they looked a shambles defensively. In saying that I am not sure how many Sutton-esque players there are in the Romanian League. Probably won't come up against such a physical challenge, domestically.

Good point, guys!

Indeed, if Goian played in the 2nd leg we would've surely looked better in defense. He had no rival in Romania or in the European competitions when speaking about headers. In fact, now that he is gone :( , I can remember the game we played against FCM Bacau in 2005, on their stadium, and their massive CB, named Dorin Goian, scored us a goal. How? With a header :lol: We were :woop::notworthy: He sure is strong and big! We bought him and soon after he became our goalscorer in the UEFA Cup 2005-2006 season!

There was a time when big clubs(or maybe just rumors) from Premiere League were interested in buying him, but his destiny wanted him to continue with us.

Our minister of defense! :notworthy:

To be honest with you, we know we sucked in the first half. Those 45 mintes were probably our worst moments ...since that horrible night of April in Middlesbrough(2006).

Our youngsters and few of the usual starters thought they came in Scotland to have a quick relaxing game and nothing more. We may be technique, but we sure do lack healthy and strong morale and ... consistency, especially while playing against teams that never give up, like the ones from UK. So, you see, that is why we were that awfull and unrecognizable. :notworthy:

Like I promised, I am going to watch all Motherwell's games this season, so, any of you kind to tell me when does your SPL begin? -_-