Saturday Is Service Day

wellfan29

I'm ambivalent about these kind of books. Yes, they are interesting social history, yet by definition they tend to glamorise violence, giving a nostalgic romance to what was thuggery. Is such mindless brutality worthy of analysis ?

Just ask Danny Dyer :P I remember an episode from his Real Football Factories and it actually featured Motherwell.

I'm ambivalent about these kind of books. Yes, they are interesting social history, yet by definition they tend to glamorise violence, giving a nostalgic romance to what was thuggery. Is such mindless brutality worthy of analysis ?

By your own definition then you would be ambivalent about any history books to do with war ,after all war is only violence,thuggery and mindless brutality made legal by politicians,yet at the same time to quote yourself"nostalgic romance" is relived in the stories of the veterans who fought in them, who could find the best in the worst of situations.What you have to realise is that even in the timescale of when this book and others like them are based its a generation ago,things change and for anyone to take todays values and transfer them to things that happened a generation or generations ago are not making comparisons that can be judged fairly

What you have to realise is that even in the timescale of when this book and others like them are based its a generation ago,things change and for anyone to take todays values and transfer them to things that happened a generation or generations ago are not making comparisons that can be judged fairly

Kylie should wheel out this paragraph the next time he says 'nig nog' :thumbup:

By your own definition then you would be ambivalent about any history books to do with war ,after all war is only violence,thuggery and mindless brutality made legal by politicians,yet at the same time to quote yourself"nostalgic romance" is relived in the stories of the veterans who fought in them, who could find the best in the worst of situations.What you have to realise is that even in the timescale of when this book and others like them are based its a generation ago,things change and for anyone to take todays values and transfer them to things that happened a generation or generations ago are not making comparisons that can be judged fairly

Today's values? As far as I'm aware the vast majority of football fans at the time were disgusted by the hooliganism that emerged in the 1970s and flourished in the 1980s, and to compare football hooligans to soldiers is insulting. Incidentally, I would hope that everyone has an abivalence to war.

I've read the book and have a copy....somewhere in my maws hoose. When i bought it i wasn't sure what to expect - the fact someone from Motherwell was literate enough to write a book was surprise enough :O .

When i did read it though,and then afterwards spoke to the author himself i'd say the whole purpose of this book isn't to particularly glamorise violence but give more of a birds eye view of what happened from one persons perspective.

Nostalgic? I wouldn't say particularly - i mean yeah probably in parts (havn't read the book in a long time) but i wouldn't say it was really in your face nostalgic because there a bit more to the book than that.

Listen at the end of the day it's a good read and it's not a case of, "oh we leathered this c**t and that c**t n then battered this guy"........theres a lot more build up to events going on and a lot more about the 'lifestyle' aspect than you might expect aswell.

Top book fae a top guy :P

theres a lot more build up to events going on and a lot more about the 'lifestyle' aspect than you might expect aswell.

That's exactly what worries me about hooligan memoirs, mate; that nostalgia for the clothes, music, friendships of the time will give a romantic slant to the violence. If an author uses their book to express remorse and illustrate the reality of the broken bones, fair enough, but I wouldn't want to read a straight re-telling of the violence where you can almost hear the music of the day providing a soundtrack.