Fixing It

Haggischomper

....or is it? Will we be able to get ANYONE in during the window given the no doubt heavy fine for the USH?

Anyway, your formation and players to fix this mess, please....

------------Smith-------------

Saunders-Klmpl-Craigan-Hammell

Smith-Lasley-Hughes-Fitzpatrick

---------Porter-Clarkson--------

Jesus, that's scary. That would fix nothing. Still, at least it has midfielders in midfield. Plus, reynolds, mcgarry and malcolm are nowhere near so i am already up on McGhee here.... :lol::lol:

To be honest mate its beyond me what we need to do to turn that mess around lol. Really need a few new signings.

Just didn't want this to degenerate into yet another 'Fitzpatrick is pish' thread especially when he hasn't been on the park lately but, yep, fresh blood is definitely required i would imagine. We'll see what Santa brings in teh window but I'm not holding my breath for anything other than a large fine from the SPL.

if we could try and stop playing this stupid long punt game, cause were useless at it !!! We the brief times we do keep the ball on the ground we pass it fairly well. Its just a lazy way to play and it is obviously not working.

The big question is what the hell are they doing at training, cause I cant see the improvementd Mcghee keeps talking about !

if we could try and stop playing this stupid long punt game, cause were useless at it !!!

I don't disagree in principle but the problem is that we don't really have much of an alternative. Our midfield has no box-to-box type or pace or width. Breaks out of defence take place at snail's pace. Maybe a front three of Murphy, Clarkson and Porter with the long ball over the defence to turn them?

smith

quinn craigan klimpl hammell

reynolds

lasley hughes fitzpatrick

clarkson porter

id put reynolds into midfield and make us harder to beat.let him just sit in front of the defence and use his pace to break things up.craigan is a bit of a donkey at times but we really miss him when hes no playin.stop the long ball game for a start cause porter and sutton hardly win any headers where last season clarkson and porter linked up really well with the ball on the deck.i know mccormack played a big part in our passing style last season but if weve had to change our whole game plan becasue of one player leaving that is worrying

My 'ideal' line up would be...

Smith

Saunders/Quinn Craigan Reynolds Hammell

Hughes Malcolm Lasley Murphy

Clarkson Porter

Probably the best we can play at the moment. This would depend on Hughes being actualy fit, not nearly fit, but actually injury free and in good health. Left side of midfield is a problem, could have had any one there, went for Murphy, as Smith isn't ever going to make it Im afraid, McGarry has been awful and I've not seen enough of O'Brien.

Saunders hasn't put a foot wrong so far, and Quinn is a liability, so I would think about keeping Saunders in?

Smith;

Saunders; A N Other; A N Other; A N Other

Lasley Hughes Reynolds

Murphy Porter Clarkson

Try and get Murphy to adopt the role played by McCormack last year and start getting the front 3 to interchange during the game the way they did last season. Tell Hughes to get his finger out his arse and get Lasley re-motivated - he looked totally disinterested in last two games.

- - - - - - - - - - - - Smith - - - - - - - - - - - - -

- - - Quinn - - Craigan - - Reynolds - - Hammell -

- - - - - - Hughes - - Lasley - - Fitzpatrick - - - -

- - - - - - Murphy - - Porter - - Clarkson - - - - -

Or in simple terms, the same as last season but with Murphy replacing McCormack. It isny fuckin rocket science. Murphy might not have the impact that McCormack had yet, but he sure as hell isn't 20 points less effective.

It really pisses me off when people say, "oh we've been found out...teams know how to play against us...we cant be as effective...blah blah blah..."

How the fuck does anyone know that?? We havent even TRIED to play the same way!! And for the most part we've not even attempted as much as the same formation or set up.

I've heard McGhee say a few times that the loss of McCormack means we can't play that way, but I just can't accept that at all! Like I say, set ourselves out the same way we did last season with Murphy in the McCormack role, and yeah...we might not be as effective as we were last time, we might not be troubling the European places...but we sure as fuck wouldn't be sitting joint bottom.

Fair enough that backline has shown to leak goals, and has been affected by injuries, but keeping it as stable as possible has got to be better that being halfway through the season and still fannying about not sure who to play where.

That midfield three would work, with the dig from Lasley and Fitzpatrick breaking up play, leaving Hughes as the "creative" midfielder (again, pretty much the same as last year)

Then up front you have Porter as an out and out front man with Clarky and Murphy either side, pulling wide, dropping deep, switching sides, and both with the Engine to work back when required (again...same as last year), with Murphy having that bit of skill and unpredictability to create something (not a boot in the baws away from the Rosco role)

Leaves pretty much EVERYONE doing EXACTLY the same job as they did last year!! Porter playing the role of main front man, instead of fucking around trying to win balls in the air with his back to goal. Clarky up top on the end of things rather that pissing around in midfield charged with tasks that im sure he'd admit himself, isnt very good at. Murphy in a more advanced role doing what he's suited for, and that's scaring defenders with pace, unpredictability, and a decent amount of skill...instead of being stuck deeper where he doesnt have the physical presence to be as effective. Hughes free to get on the ball and have plenty of options when he does...in to Porters feet, wide to Clarky or Murphy, driving forward himself...or worst case scenario he still has Lasley or Fitzpatrick to play a square ball if there is nothing on, allowing us to keep it at the very least!

All of that leaves us with subbies of Bob, Sutton, O'Brien, Darren Smith, Saunders, Klimpl, McGarry....which is a fucking decent, strong bench to have!!!

Just to emphasise, im not saying or expecting we'd be up troubling the top places of the league...nor am I claiming to know more than anyone that makes these decisions. My point is that to me it seems so obvious!! And I dont understand why we've fucked about so much with something that was working well. Granted it might not work AS well as it did for various reasons, but it would surely have been effective enough to bring a return that wouldnt have us toiling in the scrap at the bottom.

Howzabout if we had gone ahead signed Lappin, Maman and the allegedly lazey Soley instead of O'Brien, Klimpl and Malcolm? Would we be better off now/have a stronger squad?

p.s. nice post Al yer right, it isn't rocket science. Baffling as to why we have gotten away so much from waht worked fine

I think we should also contemplate who will go.

Porter is off most definitely, looks like smith wants out too and with rumors of hughes leaving for wolves we might be without these three before anyone is signed.

With regard to G.Smith, i wouldn't blame him for leaving, he hasn't really done too much wrong this season and the abuse he's been getting from sections of the supporters is disgraceful.

Also Klimpl looks like a liability, he's featured in the last three games, all defeats and terrible defending, looks like a bit of a idiot too.

Like the look of suanders so we must ask ourselves is there other youngsters that are ready to step up to the mark like him !!!!

Give the young boys a chance, wouldn't have a problem with hunger and effort from those boys.

Just my opinion.

Hmm, Looks like Smith, Porter and Hughes will be offski, however someone mentioned elsewhere that Rangers want Reynolds rumours of a "swap" for Burke, tbh on current form of Reynolds that wouldn't be a bad deal, Burke can play the Rosscoe type of role, Jury still out on Klimpl, but if Reynolds leaves (solely an IF), could be looking at

-----------------Faroes Guy------------------

Saunders----Klimpl--Craigan-----Hammell

-------Lasley-------Bob--------Fitzy---------

---Burke/Murphy-Sutton---Clarkson-------

Even if Reynolds stayed, hed be the first id drop, obv Burke is depenadant on the (highly unlikely) proposed "swap" other than that it would be Murphy (maybe Smith) O'Brien is a waste of time, if he was a Malpas signing, he'd have been hunted by now, the thought that money was paid for him is ridiculous

Lets be honest the players aren't up for it and the tactics are wrong. 4-4-2 with Sutton and Porter is ineffective as none of them can win a header even against dross like Simon Mensing, get the ball on the deck and get the three up front with Murphy, Clarkson and Porter right up top. Sutton can take a hike he's murder and has about as much chance of scoring goals as Hitler had of joining his local synagogue.

Team I want to see....

Smith

Quinn Craigan Reynolds Hammell

Lasley Hughes Fitzpatrick

Clarkson Porter Murphy

Longer term I might give Reynolds a go at left back or in midfield. But for what it worth that back four is the one that played together most and should be able to do us a job at least short term for all its flaws.

I definatley think Hammell is capable but needs a rocket up his backside and if more isn't forthcoming very soon I'd love to see JP or Lappin back to replace him. Lappin would be a good signing all round but probably not going to happen.

I know the 4-3-3 doesn't have the surprise factor of last season and without McCormack we are missing a player with a bit of real class who even on a off day takes up the thoughts of the oppositions defenders. That said in Murphy we have someone I think can play that sort of role. Also if we are to get some use from them so could Darren Smith and O'Brien. Neither of whom have really staked a solid claim but are in theory the right kind of player.

Would like to see a big centre half come in, someone in mould of Marvin Andrews or a Rob Jones if such a player can be found on our budget. Another body in midfield be ideal as Fitpatrick will do a job but lacks confidence and a section of crowd always wants to get on his back.

squad we have for all its flaws should be doing enough to get us out of trouble but I have my doubts under current leadership. maybe a couple of fresh faces will give everyone a lift, just hope there is money in the budget.