Paul Mcgrillen

Guest 'Flow

There is something very wrong if we can't have a minutes silence/applause for our former players who have passed away, i was one of the fans who watched Paul play every week and also watched Brian McLaughlin near the end of his 'well career, and also what about the youngster who passed away that was part of our reserve team. These guys were 'well players FFS, show some respect Motherwell FC. I doubt very much if the club will respond to this as they have still never said why there wasn't a minutes silence at the Steaua game in respect for Paul after stating in the program that there would be. They can't blame UEFA because they have came out and said they weren't approached by Motherwell, so they will probably just stay quiet and hope it all blows over.

so they will probably just stay quiet and hope it all blows over.

It looks like you're right the club are staying quiet and hoping that it all blows over, which is utter disgusting IMO.

Paul McGrillen, Brian McLaughlin and Mark Cameron deserve a mark of respect before a match. What part of that Motherwell FC do you not understand? and why is your silence deafening on this issue ?

It looks like you're right the club are staying quiet and hoping that it all blows over, which is utter disgusting IMO.

Paul McGrillen, Brian McLaughlin and Mark Cameron deserve a mark of respect before a match. What part of that Motherwell FC do you not understand? and why is your silence deafening on this issue ?

Called the club this morning and waiting on a call back. Trust me I WILL get an answer.

Girl on the phone said she would speak to Alan and would get somebody to call me back today, I'll keep you posted.

There is definitely some sort of suicide awareness campaign being publicised before the Rangers game, with the players wearing promotional t-shirts. I would imagine that the earlier poster who said the minutes silence/applause for the 3 players will tie in with this.

Although it could have been pointed out to the fans before now.

There is definitely some sort of suicide awareness campaign being publicised before the Rangers game, with the players wearing promotional t-shirts. I would imagine that the earlier poster who said the minutes silence/applause for the 3 players will tie in with this.

What are the bets that the reply will be along those lines <_<

That's you on A.B's Xmas card list :P

Maybe we should hear the club's side first. They obviously paid their respects on the official web site, so they certainly haven't been ignored.

Minute Silence/Applause isn't really for the Motherwell FC to pay tribute more for the fans to pay tribute. Although, as has been mentioned Suicide Awareness is coming up soon, although communication is the key!

Called the club this morning and waiting on a call back. Trust me I WILL get an answer.

Girl on the phone said she would speak to Alan and would get somebody to call me back today, I'll keep you posted.

Just spoke to Ann at the club and very nice lady she was as well. The official club line on this is that it has been discussed between the players and they have made the decision not to have a min silence/applause. The club and playing staff have contacted all 3 players families and have treated this as a private matter.

I respect that and have told the club as much, but still think the fans should get to show appreciation for guys who gave us something. Also did say that in matters like this if the fans were just kept informed maybe we could all do our own thing in our own way to pay respects to ex-players like this.

I hope this helps some fans, because I for one couldn't work out why we hadn't had a chance to pay our respects.

Gone but never forgotten.

RIP

when uncle phil died his wife said she took great comfort from the fact that motherwell staff and supporters all paid their respects in many ways. Surely if the club and supporters can offer any comfort to paul's widow at this traumatic time the we should. The best way to do this for the supporters is when a game is on and everyone is in the same place.

when uncle phil died his wife said she took great comfort from the fact that motherwell staff and supporters all paid their respects in many ways. Surely if the club and supporters can offer any comfort to paul's widow at this traumatic time the we should.

That's entirely up to her, not to us or the club.

How's about a few choruses of "Only One Paul McGrillen" (and the others too) at the next home game. At least it's paying our respects in SOME way. Really kind of shocked that nothing has taken place.

When you say "the others too" do you mean every player we've ever had that has subsequently died ?

and from then on everyone who has ever played for us and died ?

Sorry I'm no being a dick here, I just don't understand your point. Do you mean Davie Cooper , Uncle Phil and all the ex players who have died in the past because I'm sure they have had tributes in various forms.

Sorry I'm no being a dick here, I just don't understand your point. Do you mean Davie Cooper , Uncle Phil and all the ex players who have died in the past because I'm sure they have had tributes in various forms.

Im not trying to be a dick either though ill probably get a barrage saying that i am. Id imagine there are more than that who have played for us and sadly passed away in the time frame you are talking about. Why should we hold a minutes silence or worse applause for everyone that ever kicked a ball for us , Fir Park is a football stadium , not the local branch of Dundas Fyfe.

Paul McGrillen wasnt a bad player who was never a star for us IMO , he left us about 15 years ago and never won any honours so doesnt really qualify as a club legend whether he was in the former players club or not

As for chanting to help his wife deal with the sorry situation , she found him and now she is left to pick up the pieces "One Paul McGrillen" might not be what she is wanting to hear.

Tin hat firmly on

Im not trying to be a dick either though ill probably get a barrage saying that i am. Id imagine there are more than that who have played for us and sadly passed away in the time frame you are talking about. Why should we hold a minutes silence or worse applause for everyone that ever kicked a ball for us , Fir Park is a football stadium , not the local branch of Dundas Fyfe.

Paul McGrillen wasnt a bad player who was never a star for us IMO , he left us about 15 years ago and never won any honours so doesnt really qualify as a club legend whether he was in the former players club or not

As for chanting to help his wife deal with the sorry situation , she found him and now she is left to pick up the pieces "One Paul McGrillen" might not be what she is wanting to hear.

Tin hat firmly on

I understand your point of view but disagree with it. Paul McGrillen was one of my favourite players during his spell with Motherwell. He may not have been a great but that was down to McLeish IMO. He included him in one of the worst deals in football history (well MFC history anyway). I know I am not the only Motherwell fan who shared an affinity with McGrillen. This may be in the Paul McGrillen thread but I am talking about Brian McLaughlin as well. He was part of the 1981-82 First Division Championship team. Does he not deserve a tribute? Football is a vital part of my life and I admit I take it far too seriously and maybe that is why I think tributes like this are both piognant and important.

I agree with ML1 actually. People die all the time...in fact, everyone does. Fair enough there are exceptions when it's a person who has really touched a place, (Phil for us, Bobby Robson at Newcastle as examples), but in those circumstances you are honouring and acknowledging an outstanding achievement or contribution. When you start honouring everyone then for me I think it becomes a bit of a nonsense personally.

i'm with ML1 too

the only criticism if any i have is that the club never made a statement whether there would be one or not.

i'll also join ML1 with the tin hat on and say that - i think there are too many minute silences/applauses these days. in certain circumstances, i think its totally appropriate but sometimes its beyond a joke