Paul Mcgrillen

Guest 'Flow

I agree with the recent comments.

There is a tendency now to become mawkish, and overtly sentimental, a bit like the roadside tributes and football jerseys indicating the spot where a death has occured. We need to re-learn restraint, and realise that not everyone who throws flowers on to a hearse is sorrier or more sympathetic than the person quietly mourning in the background.

Mowgli and Brian McLaughlin both deserve to be remembered publicly, they touched enough lives among us for a tribute to be held.

Not old enough to remember McLaughlin but he's a title winning player for us. As for Mowgli, one of my favourite players and always had time to talk about his Motherwell days when I went to see him at Bathgate. The fans should have the option to pay tribute to them, if you don't agree with it no one forces you to take part.

What I dont like is the simple fact that it took well73 calling to get an answer.

It is clear flow is an active participant in these boards.I dont know flow as a person and I think what he has done for the PR of the club has been fantastic but it is all a little blue sky week for my liking.

When the club has to make a difficult, even unpopular decision there is a clear silence rather than keeping the fans up to speed. I would rather be told than no news at all.

You do know it's a football supporter internet message board and not a book of condolences ?

Yes, but this is an RIP thread for a former player. I don't see the problem with people wanting to pay their respects - it matters not that Paul played for us over 15 years ago or that he didn't win any honours with us. That's not the criteria for people to show their respects. We have a stand named after a player who won more honours and is more closely associated with Rangers, he didn't even play for us at the time of his death - but he contributed to our club and was appreciated for what he did while he was with us.

I think though that any mark of respect before a game should have taken place by now and to do so now would probably be inappropriate.

Stuart.

We were told that we couldn't have a minutes silence/applause at the Steau Bucharest game because UEFA wouldn't allow it. Turns out UEFA wouldn't have had a problem with it, and rightly so. The next most obvious opportunity wouldv'e been the Killie game. Again nothing. It think it's a major embarrassment on Motherwells part that this has been allowed to happen and it appears that they had hoped that no-one would notice the passing of the game without any tribute being paid and treat the whole thing with silence rather than explanation. Poor show.

I've applauded or stood silent for a minute on many occasions at fir park. Some for Well legends, some for well boys i never even got the chance to see play, other times for nothing related to Motherwell whatsoever.

I'll happily sacrifice 60 seconds out of my life to reflect on the contribution that Uncle Phil, Tommy Burns or soldiers killed in action from wars even my parents didnt see. Some mean alot, some mean very little. But its 60 seconds, your no being asked their to stand all night. For the well boys that have passed, a minutes silence/applause gives you a minute to stand at fir park and remember the boys gracing the park..times they got your heart pumping by a bit of clever trickery or a goal you talk about for weeks and months, and even the times they had a howler and you were calling for their heids.

Not everyone has the internet and not everyone uses these forums where they can show their respects. I think the club are wrong in not allowing our fans a one minute tribute, some fans are really quite angry about this and the story that Well73 got i believe is a total whitewash, with respect, i dont believe many in our squad would of even heard of Paul McGrillen and dont see how they would be making this decision.

If there is room on the offical site for an update on Craigans testimonial golf day..a reflection on a great man who's gave alot to motherwell, then surely to god a couple of paragraph's can be churned out with regards to why we snubbed a fans tribute to Mowgli. As whilst some do not care for these kind of tributes, others find it a fitting and respectful way to say goodbye and thanks.

I think what everyone says about the guys deserving a tribue of some sort is true, but I don't think it's a bad thing for our current team if they don't get one. These young lads have got enough to think about at the moment and I wouldn't want anything to affect their concentration at this crucial time.

Besides, the ship has long sailed now anyway.

I feel this is down to the stigma associated with Suicide. He didn't die of a heart attack or a brain tumor. He willingly took own life and still in this day and age, people cannot accept that.

I personally think your spot on there Johnstone. which is pretty sad

• Like 1

I would hope the club would do something perhaps at the Falkirk game.

I am from Rutherglen close to Kings Park and despite not knowing Paul himself many of my friends knew him. The area where I live is a close nit community despite being in the suburbs of Glasgow. I am being asked daily what is being done by Motherwell FC in memory of Paul and I am disappointed in the fact that I can give no information. Paul gave a lot back to this community and although this isn't local to the Motherwell area it goes to show how much he will be missed and how he was respected in our local area.

• 2 weeks later...