New Signings

Frazzie

Don't think he at fault, watched it a few minutes ago and ok it dipped over him but was only a step or two off his line and the shot fair fizzed and swerved at pace. Wasn't a lazy loop and he caught out, just a belter of a hit.

I'll happily go along with that. I could see from where I was that there was dip and swerve on it, but I wasn't sure from the far end whether he should've got it or not.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the combination of coke and forbes together looks like that's where our attacks will come from, while we only really had hughes in the middle creating last season, so a definate improvement.

jennings will prob play the holding midfielder but reynolds played better in that position better last night, humphrys looks to have the pace but it will take time for him to improve, o'brien is definately still a more accomplished winger. and ruddy even though he has let in 6 goals in 2 games looks to have much better gk skills than fraser

Coke and Ruddy have been solid

Jennings i'm still undecided on as he still doesn't seem match fit.

Right now humphrey reminds me of Didier Agathe- can run like fuck but the final ball just ain't there.

So from what i've seen Jimbo has not made any bad signings, he's got two standouts and two players that have the potential to be just that.

when is the last time we could say that about a 'Well manager?

Right now humphrey reminds me of Didier Agathe- can run like fuck but the final ball just ain't there.

At the moment he's reminding me of Richard Offiong when he was on loan with us under Terry Butcher.

As has been said by numerous folk already though its once they've had a few games against SPL teams we'll get a better indication of how good they all are, I'm not going to go overboard or be underwhelmed at this stage.

• 3 weeks later...

Having seen the new signings in a few games now. Im impressed with Ruddy, Hately and particularly Coke.

Humphrey is going to be one of those players to divide fans but his pace is enough to impress me, he will be great off the bench at least. There was one point in the game against Kilmarnock when the ball had gone forward and was headed for a goal kick, he had no right to chase it but he got there! Unbelievable.

As for Jennings I feel he should be looking sharper by now, I thought he looked overwhelmed at times, hope he comes good but I feel Lasley is accomplished in the role and Ide much rather see him thrown in later in the game in the way Jennings was, I can only assume Gannon wanted him to break up the play as Killie were starting to get on top of us and we were in danger of letting them back into the game. Again I think Lasley would do better at that job. Jennings was just lucky we scored a 3rd against the run of play which pretty much did his job for him.

Think I said this elsewhere but I thought Jennings came on and looked pretty decent on saturday. Considerably sharper than previous appearances. Optimisitic now he'll bring something to the table once he settled in and match fit.

Humphrey I think is likely to be a source of frustration, but seems to be able to hit a decent cross and has pace, worth persevering with for a while to see if he can do more with bit of coaching, experience and time to adjust to SPL. Coke looks excellent and Hately looks at least worth to be a place in the squad showed up reasonably well at full back and in midfield role. Ruddy I think always more good than bad.

Giles Coke - Cracking name and a cracking player. If he keeps up his early promise then he'll be one of our best players this season. Class (A) signing.

John Ruddy - Looks like a decent keeper though I don't think I've seen him being genuinely tested that much yet. Looks like a fucking machine though, and should be capable of wiping out anyone who gets in his way.

Chris Humphrey - Lightening pace but so far his final ball has left a lot to be desired. That said, I kind of get the impression from what I've seen of him that he might be trying too hard to impress everyone as soon as possible. Once he gets settled in, he could be a very dangerous player to have. I seem to remember Hibs going to Ibrox and winning 3-0 thanks soley to using Ivan Sproule's pace!

Steve Jennings - I think there's early signs there that he could be a very decent player to have able to bring into the side when we need to go with a "get stuck in" approach based on the fact he appears to be a no nonsense type player who's strong in the challenge. That said, I don't understand how anyone can make any real judgement on him so far as he's barely featured. If the talk about him from Tranmere fans and Gannon is correct, then he should be a very capable player once he settles in.

Giles Coke - Cracking name and a cracking player. If he keeps up his early promise then he'll be one of our best players this season. Class (A) signing.

John Ruddy - Looks like a decent keeper though I don't think I've seen him being genuinely tested that much yet. Looks like a fucking machine though, and should be capable of wiping out anyone who gets in his way.

Chris Humphrey - Lightening pace but so far his final ball has left a lot to be desired. That said, I kind of get the impression from what I've seen of him that he might be trying too hard to impress everyone as soon as possible. Once he gets settled in, he could be a very dangerous player to have. I seem to remember Hibs going to Ibrox and winning 3-0 thanks soley to using Ivan Sproule's pace!

Steve Jennings - I think there's early signs there that he could be a very decent player to have able to bring into the side when we need to go with a "get stuck in" approach based on the fact he appears to be a no nonsense type player who's strong in the challenge. That said, I don't understand how anyone can make any real judgement on him so far as he's barely featured. If the talk about him from Tranmere fans and Gannon is correct, then he should be a very capable player once he settles in.

Agree 100% with what you have said Jay. Will also comment on the signing you have missed(apart from Fraser)

Tom Hately:- Very solid and dependable player so far, looks to be a very good asset to the squad with his versatility, not shy of a tackle and is a better than decent passer of the ball. Strong, athletic and pretty quick, another good signing.

Ruddy - I was never Graeme Smiths biggest fan and I think Ruddy has come in and strengthened the goalkeeping position but to what extent I'm not sure. We'll just have to wait and see if Steaua or St.Johnstone was more typical of his average performance.

Humphrey - Still to be convinced but so far he has not shown he can be anything more than a fast runner off the bench.

Coke - Has done well but some of the praise is a tad excessive. He looks a player who does the basic things to a decent standard but I honestly can't see him turning many games. He'll just work hard in that midfield role and do his job, and to be fair, from some players that's all you are looking for.

Jennings - Looks off the pace right now and its unfair to judge him right now but if there are two places in the midfield up for grabs you can't see him displacing Forbes or Coke.

Hateley - Only seen him once, did OK, but wasn't really given an examination by Killie but looks a safer bet at right back than O'Brien was until we bring in a 'real' one.

Overall Coke and Ruddy look the pick of the bunch but its been the young players that have really excited me rather than the signings - Forbes, Slane and Hutchinson. Jim O'Brien has also kicked on from last season and looks a different player.

Great debut by Ruddy, but becoming less convinced by him as each game passes. Shouldn't have lost the goal on saturday, and was seriously suspect on about half a dozen occasions in Perth. No doubting he's better than Fraser, but I'm not convinced yet that he's an improvement on Buzz. I do like the cut of his gib though - he seems like a maniac and that's no bad thing.

John Ruddy

Certainly a presence between the sticks, and certainly the best debut I have ever seen from a 'Well 'keeper. Sensational performance in Bucharest, but conceded 3 goals in the return leg, despite Steaua only having 3 shots in the match. Albeit one was a penalty and can't be faulted for O'Brien's clumsyness. But, off his line which allowed Stancu's wondergoal. Followed up by a shaky performance at St Johnstone, as his poor punch and again being off his line resulted in Davidson's opener. Subsequently needlessly came out his box and allowed Deuchar an open goal, which he fortunately blazed over. Not to mention again being off his line to allow Hammill to dink it over him. Certainly think our opinion of him may be a tad clouded due to his supreme start for us against Steaua. At the end of the day he, along with the defence have conceded 9 goals in the 4 matches he has played. But, positives certainly are that he is a massive presence, and as shown on Saturday is certainly not scared to go through one or two players to clear the ball. His kicking is of a decent standard, and miles better than Buzz (not particularly hard mind you). Decent start, but need to see how he copes at Ibrox/Parkhead where the opposition are going to be far more clinical. Also, noticed during the warm-up at McDiarmid the amount of times that he drops the ball, when making his saves, certainly in a real game would be a heart stopping moment. It's not a case of parrying it, just happens to drop the ball in front of himself, claiming it at the 2nd attempt. Not entirely convinced, but living in hope that his debut wasn't a one-off.

Michael Fraser

We all feared the worst when he first signed, although I think so far we have been unfairly critical of him. At the end of the day, he hasn't made ANY mistakes at all. The Llanelli opener was mostly down to Craigan not picking up his man, a good cross into the box and a well placed header. Something that certainly can't be blamed at Fraser. Return leg in Wales, he made one top drawer save to tip over the bar. Yes, there may have been a shaky moment when he let a free-kick squirm out for a corner. But, at the end of the day he kept the ball out of the net. Doesn't matter how you do it, as long as you do. We know his kicking infuriated most of us, when we were chasing the game agaisnt Llanelli, but from what we know of Gannon, he clearly instructed Fraser to keep the ball moving along the back, and not launch it towards Llanelli's giant rearguard. Again a play that can't be blamed at Fraser, for just following instruction/tactics. And the goal in Vlore, he was unsighted at the quick snap-shot from the Albanian, which was very well placed. Certainly no fault placed at Fraser. Although, the one thing he could perhaps have done better was the consolation at The Excelsior, but perhaps his guard was down at 7-0 up. He is certainly composed with the ball at his feet, but standing beside Ruddy at McDiarmid Park the difference in size is unbelievably noticeable, and the presence of Ruddy makes him the automatic choice. Feel he has been made the new Fitzy, and the easy target for the boo-boys. At the end of the day done nothing majorly wrong (as of yet) bar lack a physical presence. Personally think he deserves a run of games before totally writing off his 'Well career.

Tom Hateley

Clocked him at the warm-up at McDiarmid, and reckoned he looked about 23-24, and couldn't believe he was only 18/19. So well built for a guy that age, especially when you look at the lean size of Saunders, Murphy and to a less extent even Reynolds who are of a comparable age. Great size for the job that Gannon asks of him, has enough pace and mobility and can certainl hold his own, in the strength department. Great debut at St Johnstone and was certainly a contender for MotM, this a greater feat considering he had barely trained with the team, and shoved in at the last minute due to Slane's injury, not to mention being asked to play in an unfamiliar age. Couldn't have asked for a better debut from him, also chipping in with two assists, the cross for Hutchinson and the spread of play out towards Forbes. His 2nd game, in a more natural position for him, tracked there midfield well, solid in the tackle, rarely let someone past him. Rather good when up against the tricky Taouil, Seems more mature than his years suggest. The real surprise out of Gannon's signings. Fully expected him to be playing out the season in the U19's, in the hope that he developed. But, could certainly become a regular, already seems like a better option than Jennings (possibly a tad unfair on Steve). Style of play reminds me a lot of Alan McCormack's stint here. Very impressed.

Giles Coke

A real box-to-box defender. Very energetic, and very composed, as we all saw on Saturday, calmly dribbling out of the edge of the box and into midfield, despite it being extremely crowded. Just very calm, and like Hateley solid in the challenge, can add bravery to the list of attributes as not scared of going up for the 50/50s and shown at McDiarmid with what could have been a nasty head injury. Pacey, and quietly goes about his business where his midfield partner, Forbes seems to be taken the limelight. If only he scored that chance in Bucharest from only a couple of yards out, extremely unfortunate and as a result we could still be in the Europa League as the away goal would have changed things dramitacally at Airdrie (clutching at straws). Very good acquisition, and like most have mentioned, the 1yr deal needs to be extended asap, if his performances continues at this rate. Think we had a Porter/Oldham scenario on our hands with the Northampton fans writing him off. Up there with Hateley as to his signings that have really impressed.

Chris Humphrey

Could perhaps be the most infuriating player to have played for the 'Well in a long time, it could be a case of one good thing followed by two bad. We can all see that he has soaring pace and could waltz past most defenders in the SPL (perhaps Ricky Foster aside). But, his two SPL sub appearances have been a total contradiction of each other, against St Johnstone he struggled to get past the defender with the ball, but his crossing was dangerous (as shown by Murphy's "Maradona" goal). Whereas against Killie, he was breezing past the full back but his crosses were picking out Row Q of the Davie Cooper. The epitomy of the expressing "mixed bag". Really don't know what you are gonna get with him. Already his style of play is bringing comparisons to D.L.S. Could well be a great super-sub, with his pace in the style of Ivan Sproule (as Jay mentions above). But, for me he is very similar to Darren, extremely hard and awkward to watch at times, but you always know at the back of your mind, one time it will come off for him. Certainly made an impact at St Johnstone to turn the game in our favour, in a similar way Darren has before against Aberdeen etc. But, against Killie he was as inefectual as what Darren tends to be when he comes off the bench. Jury well and truly out.

Steve Jennings

Slow and unfit in his debut against Flamurtari, can only be expected after a weeks training, after 3months out without full training or competitive action after leaving Tranmere. Certainly wasn't expecting anything spectacular, but a very shaky 10mins, where he could well have cost us a goal or two. Was bailed out and gradually grew into the game. Certainly made easier with the fact we were coasting to an emphatic win. I mean if you can't look decent in an 8-1 win, then when can you!? Was trying far too hard to impress, and as a result looked rather clumsy. With the emergence of Forbes, and the partnership he has formed with Coke and more recently Hateley. He could really struggle to claim a starting spot, and feel he could be pushed out into a fringe player at best. Think it is best all round that he signed a one year deal. Very early to judge out of all his signings, he just appears to play in a position where we seem more than adequately covered in Hateley, Forbes, Reynolds, Coke, Lasley and if Fitzy is still kicking about, then him too. Really can't see him featuring too much as a result of the cover we now have for central midfield. A tad harsh on him, but certainly can't afford sentimentality in football, and looks like a bad move on his part.

-----------------------------------------

Even though they aren't new signings, they are just as good. As they are a new batch of players to our first team squad:

Ross Forbes

An absolute gem. The Llanelli home game, he was about the only shining light in the game. Despite the shambolic performance and lack of desire shown, you saw glimpses of what a cultured foot he has, and the eye for a pass. Problem was at times he wasn't fully commited in the challenge, and wasn't looking for the ball as much. Fast forward a few games, he is the main man in midfield. Showing for the ball at all times, now willing to get properly stuck in, riding challenges in a tough midfield. And well he is trying to out-do his goal of the season attempts on a weekly basis. So, much confidence now oozing out of him, after that first game for the first team. Maturing by the game, and getting better and better. The fact he is probably on less that 10% of what Stephen Hughes was on... does anyone even care he has gone now!? Triple the amount of goals in 8 games than Hughes managed in two seasons. Great seeing someone who isn't reluctant to have a pot at goal. We genuinely look a threat from direct free-kicks for the first time since Roscoe left (bar when Big Boab was actually on the field). We look brilliant from in-direct free-kicks and corners due to the pace and accuracy of his deliveries, Hutchinson benefiting most. Great sensing the anticipation when he is within 25yrds of goal, as we fully expect the ball to hit the back of the net, or the 'keeper to be fully tested. Could and should manage 10+ goals this season, when was the last midfielder we had that could do that (Richie doesn't count..!) . The 3yr deal is an absolute must to be signed. Reminds me of Gerrard, similar height, great shot from outside the box, great deliveries, able to run/dribble with the ball through midfield, and now has that bit of bite in the tackle. Just a relief that the poor performance in Bucharest and giving away the penalty hasn't damaged his confidence at all (suppose Ruddy's save from the penalty could be a factor for this). Fantastic, and one of the reasons for the animosity towards McGhee for almost letting him slip through our net..

Shaun Hutchinson

Not often we can nab someone from somebody's Youth Team. But, my god we have got it right in Shaun. He may not be the tallest, but is very disciplined, holds his line, stays with his man. Plays like someone far older, and far more experienced than he is. Scary that he is still a teenager. Decent on the ball, and certainly not scared to hold on to it to make sure he finds a man. Not rushed, and a far cry from the days of Bobby Donnelly. Certainly one thing McGhee got right, bringing him in. Great to see the passion on his face when jumping into the crowd at St Johnstone. Also, great that we now have a defender that has scored in 60% of his games for the 'Well. Unbelievable. Like Ross Forbes, when was the last time we had a defender that genuinely looked a goal threat anytime we went forward (despite not actually being that tall for a CB).

Paul Slane

Well the comparison to Faddy has been used over and over again with any product coming through the Youth Team, with Wright, Coakley and Murphy having that tag in the past. But, Slane certainly seems like one that can live up to that tag. The tenacity shown when losing possession against the Albanians, only to harry back and reclaim the ball only to go on another mazy run. So, reminiscent to Faddy in the early days it was unbelievable. Clearly has a lot to learn, but the fundamentals are there. Immense pace, every trick in the book (as shown by his piroette in Albania), eye for goal. Has one advantage over Faddy in pace to get away from defenders, Faddy could always beat a man with his skill, but getting away would be his downfall (the main reason he hasn't quite made it in the fast paced EPL). Just hope he doesn't get kicked in the SPL, the way Faddy was treated when he came through. As long as the hype doesn't affect him too much, then he should progress into a fantastic player. On our side the emergence of Forbes at the same time could well be to our advantage to keep Slane. As the focus right now is on Ross, and Slane may not become as noticed in the media circles as Ross may. And as a result this could work to our advantage, not alerting other clubs to his progress/talent.

Certainly a fantastic season in store, and with this youthful attacking team, I can't see too many 0-0 draws this season. Not been excited about a 'Well team in a long time.

A Think That - Humphrey - Once he gets a bit more confidence, maybe a goal he could do as well as anyone

Coke - Looks like a great player..cool on the ball and wins almost every tackle

Ruddy - Bit wary but a great shot stopper plus his name..!!!

Hately- Looks decent

Jennings same said

As has been said if Humphrey can cross consistently well (or at all going on Saturday) he will be phenomenal as his pace is frightening.

Im very impressed with the other signings, especially Coke. It's only really Jennings that hasn't got me on the edge of my seat but he has looked a couple of yards off the pace, I have no reason to believe though that we've seen anywhere near his best.

John Ruddy

Certainly a presence between the sticks, and certainly the best debut I have ever seen from a 'Well 'keeper. Sensational performance in Bucharest, but conceded 3 goals in the return leg, despite Steaua only having 3 shots in the match. Albeit one was a penalty and can't be faulted for O'Brien's clumsyness. But, off his line which allowed Stancu's wondergoal. Followed up by a shaky performance at St Johnstone, as his poor punch and again being off his line resulted in Davidson's opener. Subsequently needlessly came out his box and allowed Deuchar an open goal, which he fortunately blazed over. Not to mention again being off his line to allow Hammill to dink it over him. Certainly think our opinion of him may be a tad clouded due to his supreme start for us against Steaua. At the end of the day he, along with the defence have conceded 9 goals in the 4 matches he has played. But, positives certainly are that he is a massive presence, and as shown on Saturday is certainly not scared to go through one or two players to clear the ball. His kicking is of a decent standard, and miles better than Buzz (not particularly hard mind you). Decent start, but need to see how he copes at Ibrox/Parkhead where the opposition are going to be far more clinical. Also, noticed during the warm-up at McDiarmid the amount of times that he drops the ball, when making his saves, certainly in a real game would be a heart stopping moment. It's not a case of parrying it, just happens to drop the ball in front of himself, claiming it at the 2nd attempt. Not entirely convinced, but living in hope that his debut wasn't a one-off.

Michael Fraser

We all feared the worst when he first signed, although I think so far we have been unfairly critical of him. At the end of the day, he hasn't made ANY mistakes at all. The Llanelli opener was mostly down to Craigan not picking up his man, a good cross into the box and a well placed header. Something that certainly can't be blamed at Fraser. Return leg in Wales, he made one top drawer save to tip over the bar. Yes, there may have been a shaky moment when he let a free-kick squirm out for a corner. But, at the end of the day he kept the ball out of the net. Doesn't matter how you do it, as long as you do. We know his kicking infuriated most of us, when we were chasing the game agaisnt Llanelli, but from what we know of Gannon, he clearly instructed Fraser to keep the ball moving along the back, and not launch it towards Llanelli's giant rearguard. Again a play that can't be blamed at Fraser, for just following instruction/tactics. And the goal in Vlore, he was unsighted at the quick snap-shot from the Albanian, which was very well placed. Certainly no fault placed at Fraser. Although, the one thing he could perhaps have done better was the consolation at The Excelsior, but perhaps his guard was down at 7-0 up. He is certainly composed with the ball at his feet, but standing beside Ruddy at McDiarmid Park the difference in size is unbelievably noticeable, and the presence of Ruddy makes him the automatic choice. Feel he has been made the new Fitzy, and the easy target for the boo-boys. At the end of the day done nothing majorly wrong (as of yet) bar lack a physical presence. Personally think he deserves a run of games before totally writing off his 'Well career.

Tom Hateley

Clocked him at the warm-up at McDiarmid, and reckoned he looked about 23-24, and couldn't believe he was only 18/19. So well built for a guy that age, especially when you look at the lean size of Saunders, Murphy and to a less extent even Reynolds who are of a comparable age. Great size for the job that Gannon asks of him, has enough pace and mobility and can certainl hold his own, in the strength department. Great debut at St Johnstone and was certainly a contender for MotM, this a greater feat considering he had barely trained with the team, and shoved in at the last minute due to Slane's injury, not to mention being asked to play in an unfamiliar age. Couldn't have asked for a better debut from him, also chipping in with two assists, the cross for Hutchinson and the spread of play out towards Forbes. His 2nd game, in a more natural position for him, tracked there midfield well, solid in the tackle, rarely let someone past him. Rather good when up against the tricky Taouil, Seems more mature than his years suggest. The real surprise out of Gannon's signings. Fully expected him to be playing out the season in the U19's, in the hope that he developed. But, could certainly become a regular, already seems like a better option than Jennings (possibly a tad unfair on Steve). Style of play reminds me a lot of Alan McCormack's stint here. Very impressed.

Giles Coke

A real box-to-box defender. Very energetic, and very composed, as we all saw on Saturday, calmly dribbling out of the edge of the box and into midfield, despite it being extremely crowded. Just very calm, and like Hateley solid in the challenge, can add bravery to the list of attributes as not scared of going up for the 50/50s and shown at McDiarmid with what could have been a nasty head injury. Pacey, and quietly goes about his business where his midfield partner, Forbes seems to be taken the limelight. If only he scored that chance in Bucharest from only a couple of yards out, extremely unfortunate and as a result we could still be in the Europa League as the away goal would have changed things dramitacally at Airdrie (clutching at straws). Very good acquisition, and like most have mentioned, the 1yr deal needs to be extended asap, if his performances continues at this rate. Think we had a Porter/Oldham scenario on our hands with the Northampton fans writing him off. Up there with Hateley as to his signings that have really impressed.

Chris Humphrey

Could perhaps be the most infuriating player to have played for the 'Well in a long time, it could be a case of one good thing followed by two bad. We can all see that he has soaring pace and could waltz past most defenders in the SPL (perhaps Ricky Foster aside). But, his two SPL sub appearances have been a total contradiction of each other, against St Johnstone he struggled to get past the defender with the ball, but his crossing was dangerous (as shown by Murphy's "Maradona" goal). Whereas against Killie, he was breezing past the full back but his crosses were picking out Row Q of the Davie Cooper. The epitomy of the expressing "mixed bag". Really don't know what you are gonna get with him. Already his style of play is bringing comparisons to D.L.S. Could well be a great super-sub, with his pace in the style of Ivan Sproule (as Jay mentions above). But, for me he is very similar to Darren, extremely hard and awkward to watch at times, but you always know at the back of your mind, one time it will come off for him. Certainly made an impact at St Johnstone to turn the game in our favour, in a similar way Darren has before against Aberdeen etc. But, against Killie he was as inefectual as what Darren tends to be when he comes off the bench. Jury well and truly out.

Steve Jennings

Slow and unfit in his debut against Flamurtari, can only be expected after a weeks training, after 3months out without full training or competitive action after leaving Tranmere. Certainly wasn't expecting anything spectacular, but a very shaky 10mins, where he could well have cost us a goal or two. Was bailed out and gradually grew into the game. Certainly made easier with the fact we were coasting to an emphatic win. I mean if you can't look decent in an 8-1 win, then when can you!? Was trying far too hard to impress, and as a result looked rather clumsy. With the emergence of Forbes, and the partnership he has formed with Coke and more recently Hateley. He could really struggle to claim a starting spot, and feel he could be pushed out into a fringe player at best. Think it is best all round that he signed a one year deal. Very early to judge out of all his signings, he just appears to play in a position where we seem more than adequately covered in Hateley, Forbes, Reynolds, Coke, Lasley and if Fitzy is still kicking about, then him too. Really can't see him featuring too much as a result of the cover we now have for central midfield. A tad harsh on him, but certainly can't afford sentimentality in football, and looks like a bad move on his part.

-----------------------------------------

Even though they aren't new signings, they are just as good. As they are a new batch of players to our first team squad:

Ross Forbes

An absolute gem. The Llanelli home game, he was about the only shining light in the game. Despite the shambolic performance and lack of desire shown, you saw glimpses of what a cultured foot he has, and the eye for a pass. Problem was at times he wasn't fully commited in the challenge, and wasn't looking for the ball as much. Fast forward a few games, he is the main man in midfield. Showing for the ball at all times, now willing to get properly stuck in, riding challenges in a tough midfield. And well he is trying to out-do his goal of the season attempts on a weekly basis. So, much confidence now oozing out of him, after that first game for the first team. Maturing by the game, and getting better and better. The fact he is probably on less that 10% of what Stephen Hughes was on... does anyone even care he has gone now!? Triple the amount of goals in 8 games than Hughes managed in two seasons. Great seeing someone who isn't reluctant to have a pot at goal. We genuinely look a threat from direct free-kicks for the first time since Roscoe left (bar when Big Boab was actually on the field). We look brilliant from in-direct free-kicks and corners due to the pace and accuracy of his deliveries, Hutchinson benefiting most. Great sensing the anticipation when he is within 25yrds of goal, as we fully expect the ball to hit the back of the net, or the 'keeper to be fully tested. Could and should manage 10+ goals this season, when was the last midfielder we had that could do that (Richie doesn't count..!) . The 3yr deal is an absolute must to be signed. Reminds me of Gerrard, similar height, great shot from outside the box, great deliveries, able to run/dribble with the ball through midfield, and now has that bit of bite in the tackle. Just a relief that the poor performance in Bucharest and giving away the penalty hasn't damaged his confidence at all (suppose Ruddy's save from the penalty could be a factor for this). Fantastic, and one of the reasons for the animosity towards McGhee for almost letting him slip through our net..

Shaun Hutchinson

Not often we can nab someone from somebody's Youth Team. But, my god we have got it right in Shaun. He may not be the tallest, but is very disciplined, holds his line, stays with his man. Plays like someone far older, and far more experienced than he is. Scary that he is still a teenager. Decent on the ball, and certainly not scared to hold on to it to make sure he finds a man. Not rushed, and a far cry from the days of Bobby Donnelly. Certainly one thing McGhee got right, bringing him in. Great to see the passion on his face when jumping into the crowd at St Johnstone. Also, great that we now have a defender that has scored in 60% of his games for the 'Well. Unbelievable. Like Ross Forbes, when was the last time we had a defender that genuinely looked a goal threat anytime we went forward (despite not actually being that tall for a CB).

Paul Slane

Well the comparison to Faddy has been used over and over again with any product coming through the Youth Team, with Wright, Coakley and Murphy having that tag in the past. But, Slane certainly seems like one that can live up to that tag. The tenacity shown when losing possession against the Albanians, only to harry back and reclaim the ball only to go on another mazy run. So, reminiscent to Faddy in the early days it was unbelievable. Clearly has a lot to learn, but the fundamentals are there. Immense pace, every trick in the book (as shown by his piroette in Albania), eye for goal. Has one advantage over Faddy in pace to get away from defenders, Faddy could always beat a man with his skill, but getting away would be his downfall (the main reason he hasn't quite made it in the fast paced EPL). Just hope he doesn't get kicked in the SPL, the way Faddy was treated when he came through. As long as the hype doesn't affect him too much, then he should progress into a fantastic player. On our side the emergence of Forbes at the same time could well be to our advantage to keep Slane. As the focus right now is on Ross, and Slane may not become as noticed in the media circles as Ross may. And as a result this could work to our advantage, not alerting other clubs to his progress/talent.

Certainly a fantastic season in store, and with this youthful attacking team, I can't see too many 0-0 draws this season. Not been excited about a 'Well team in a long time.

Great post. Very concise summary and I agree with your closing paragraph 100% B-)

Its a difficult one - I get behind the whole team and I dont want to slag people off early doors - so Ill do a starcheck sunday mail style of what I seen so far and for the players that do read this I hope they prove me wrong or take some encouragement.

Ruddy - 6

Fraser - 4

Coke - 8

Forbes - 8

Jennings - 4.5

Humphreys - 5

Slane - 8

Hutchison - 7

Jim o Brien - 423

Cheers

Great debut by Ruddy, but becoming less convinced by him as each game passes. Shouldn't have lost the goal on saturday, and was seriously suspect on about half a dozen occasions in Perth. No doubting he's better than Fraser, but I'm not convinced yet that he's an improvement on Buzz. I do like the cut of his gib though - he seems like a maniac and that's no bad thing.

Dunno bout Saturday's goal, Frazzle, but you're right that none of his subsequent games have lived up to his debut in Romania. But that was a fairly high benchmark. I think the jury is still out. He may be one of those keepers who does better in the games against better teams because he's kept busier and perhaps his concentration for games where he can go longer spells without anything to do is not his strong point. Just my gut feeling.

But you're right. The fact he's a big unit. And looks a bit on the mad side are definitely plus points...

Just on Humphrey, I think we need to give the boy time to settle in. He is young and has just moved to a new league. Some of the abuse I heard for him when sitting in the DC on Saturday was out of order. The boy has talent but looks like he needs confidence to get going.