Ruddy

Philcounty

Hi Guys,

Stockport fan here. I've been reading some of the posts on here about Ruddy and just thought I'd sign up so I could reassure you all that he is definitely as good as you saw in his first appearance if not better. He is top class and to be honest I am surprised he hasn't been snapped up before now. A few of you have asked how much you would have to pay for him; while he was at Stockport during 07/08 season we apparently enquired and Everton said they wanted to recoup the fee they had paid for him which was £250K so I would guess it would be somewhere around that figure. Unfortunately that was out of our price range, but if your team can afford it you should definitely snap him up because by the end of his loan in the SPL I would imagine there will be a whole host of teams sniffing around.

Good luck for the coming season, I'll be following your (and Jimbo and Wardy's) progress with interest. I guess 'Well are now my Scottish team :mellow:. Hopefully a bunch of County fans will make it up for a match at some point this season so hopefully will see some of you then.

Thanks for that. Ruddy certainly looks the part. We won't be able to afford 250k either so may well need to look for another 'kepper after the 6 months is up. I've no idead what the option to purchase entails. On first viewing of the lad I hope Everton only want a nominal fee. Good luck to County as well in the coming season.

Perhaps taking into equation the Setanta demise.. then no we can't.

Not sure I agree. My understanding is that we will get the same amount of TV money this coming season as we did last? It's only that we woun't be getting a good bit more from the improved setanta deal which was due to start this year? No doubt someone will set me straight if I am wrong...

Regardless, with the McGhee/Quinn/Clarkson/Europa league money coming in, and even taking into account the money spent on the pitch, surely we can afford £250K?! Would it not be an investment? If he is as good as everyone says surely we could make a healthy profit a season or 2 down the line.

Will be very pissed off if we let him go in 6 months. Same goes for Slane.

Not sure I agree. My understanding is that we will get the same amount of TV money this coming season as we did last? It's only that we woun't be getting a good bit more from the improved setanta deal which was due to start this year? No doubt someone will set me straight if I am wrong...
It depends on whether or not the spending of the club has been based on the actual TV money or the expected TV money. If it's the former, then we should have some cash to play with.

considering a few quid has been whacked off the wage bill aswell ud think there would be some money lying about.

Never know to be fair 250k is a lot of money for a player to most spl clubs right now.

Do motherwell not budget to go out the cups at the first possible round and finish 11th in the league - suerly if they do better than that some extra money would be created.

thing is i think they should try keep him till the end of the season on loan if everton are up for it because realisticly - the other keepers no up to it.

Well if this 250k figure is correct, we would basically be making him one of our biggest ever signings in terms of transfer fee.

Bearing in mind John Spencer at £500k is still currently (and probably always will be) our biggest ever signing.

Extremely unlikely, that we could afford such a large figure in today's climate.

The big man was outstanding on thursday. What a cracking debut he had, pity he wasn't a centre forward. The guy had me thinking he was going to make the save whenever the occassion arose. Confident, agile and in command only hope we don't get used to having him around then lose him with no one to fill his gloves. I know it's only one game but he did play the part the other night. No disrespect to Michael Fraser (met the guy and a nicer bloke you couldn't meet <_< ) but ... It's the bigger picture that's important.

Well if this 250k figure is correct, we would basically be making him one of our biggest ever signings in terms of transfer fee.

Bearing in mind John Spencer at £500k is still currently (and probably always will be) our biggest ever signing.

Extremely unlikely, that we could afford such a large figure in today's climate.

Fair comment. But on this occaision it strikes me as a gamble/risk worth taking? The way I see is that if we buy him, even if for up to £250k, then we get a season or 2 with a quality keeper who we can then sell on for a profit. Makes sense?

And besides, Spencer was on silly money on top of the fee and Boyle has apparently been paying Hughes, Malcolm and Porter most of their wages. It all adds up and could, Mr Boyle permitting (!), be a possibility.

If he turns out to be as good as we hope then there could be an element of speculating to accumulate. The fee required may well reduce depending on how long his contract has to go with Everton - they may well be willing to recoup what they can. Of course, if he does well for us then he's also in the shop window and one of the bigger clubs could easily step in at the New Year.

Didn't we pay 650k for Spenny?

I think, if he shows his potential, JB would be mad not to at least try and snap him up for around 250k and sell him on at a profit at a later date, he clearly has many admirers down south and a known talent.

If he turns out to be as good as we hope then there could be an element of speculating to accumulate. The fee required may well reduce depending on how long his contract has to go with Everton - they may well be willing to recoup what they can. Of course, if he does well for us then he's also in the shop window and one of the bigger clubs could easily step in at the New Year.

At the end of the day, unfortunatley for us that goes for every player on our books :(

That said if we could get one player to do what allan johnston(e)? did for hearts at ibrox,. just once i'd gladly let him go for nowt....... preferably ibrox but settle for parkhead <_<:lol::nod::nod:

It depends on whether or not the spending of the club has been based on the actual TV money or the expected TV money. If it's the former, then we should have some cash to play with.

I made this point weeks ago Weeyin and no-one knew the answer or at least didn't reply. My understanding is the the new deal is no worse than the current one.

I made this point weeks ago Weeyin and no-one knew the answer or at least didn't reply. My understanding is the the new deal is no worse than the current one.
Yes, but the new Setanta deal was going to be approx. double. So, if clubs set their budgets based on this future income (which many will do to a greater or lesser extent), and that future income is halved, then some cost cutting will need to be done.

Yes, but the new Setanta deal was going to be approx. double. So, if clubs set their budgets based on this future income (which many will do to a greater or lesser extent), and that future income is halved, then some cost cutting will need to be done.

This truly is an enigma. Most clubs are pleading poverty on the basis that the improved Setanta deal went belly up. Yet as has been pointed out we will get the same amount (approx) next year as we have for the past few seasons.

Then people say (as above) what if clubs budgeted on the new improved deal. My question is show me any club that appears to have significantly strengthened their squad from last season???????? I cannot think of any - maybe DDee Utd. The Well have got rid of the majority of big earners, have taken in an extra £1.2m + any money from the European run.

As I pointed out on another thread I would be very surprised if Everton were looking for £25ok for Ruddy given he really never played for them. Only Celtic work that transfer logic i.e buy someone for £500k - don't play them and 3 years later they are worth £1.5m!!!

I would think if there is any fee involved it would be around the £100-£150k mark tops. If so then I would consider signing him up asap.

Then people say (as above) what if clubs budgeted on the new improved deal. My question is show me any club that appears to have significantly strengthened their squad from last season???????? I cannot think of any - maybe DDee Utd. The Well have got rid of the majority of big earners, have taken in an extra £1.2m + any money from the European run.

Exactly. It seems that every club in the SPL, barring maybe shellick, have 'cut their cloth' accordingly. I would be stunned if Boyle had spent Setanta money that we hadn't yet received, given our relatively recent administration. IMHO Boyle has run our club extremely well since we came out of administration (which was only cos he wrote off millions of his own money) and don't think for a second he would put us back in the same position again.