Chances Against Steaua

FJ-94

For me its a relatively pressure free last game before the SPL starts.

The first leg result has all but rendered the game academic in terms of progression though that's not to say the excitement levels won't rise through the roof if we happen to get an early goal.

I would expect that we're going to see us up our game, have a bit more possession and hopefuly a few more chances on goal. Steaua with their advantage have no real reason to go chasing the game so I would expect them to allow us more of the ball and if and when that breaks down produce some of the swift attacking that caused us so many problems on Thursday.

First up I hope we do ourselves justice. If we have enough about us on the night to get a draw or even sneak a narrow win that would be fantastic and even if its not enough to do anything in the tie, it would be nice way to round off the Euro campaign.

Well said bud. ^_^ It has been a campaign this time round. 5 Euro ties in a six week spell 6 for some ! (lucky bastards ;) ) To be honest i thought Nancy was gonna be the last for a long while so what a Brucie bonus this has been. I've enjoyed every minute of it and "You never know" LIVE THE DREAM

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not too worried about what the score will be, but I'm hoping for a deent performance. I would hope Gannon would say to the lads go out and show these Motherwell fans what they've got to look forward to when the season starts, give them a bit of hope, and show them what they can expect in Perth. I see no reason why we shouldn't just go for it, we have nothing to lose, if we lose 5-2 in an attemppt at winning 5-1 I'll be happy.

For me it's all about the McDairmid a week on Saturday. I hope Gannon is sensible enough to be preparing for that rather than trying to work out how to score 4 without reply against Steau.

It all hinges on an early goal for us.

If we can go 1-0 up within the first 20 minutes, then we have a slight chance. The atmosphere will shite on Thursday, unless we get an early goal. Suddenly, we're in with a glimmer of hope - the supporters will respond to that, and hopefully the players will too.

Nick a 2nd before half-time, and the 2nd half could be epic. All hinges on the early goal though!

It's still not impossible, but we need to play brilliantly, hope Steaua are honking, and have a fair amount of good luck on our side. We also need to take any chances that come our way.

But let's be completely honest, if we go through to the next round it'll be after one of the greatest European performances in Scottish football history!

As for an actual prediction, I'm going 2-0 to Steaua!

We were given more possession and freedom once they went three up so I think things will be continue where they were left on Thursday with Motherwell on the ball a bit more. The most we can expect to get is maybe a handful of half chances the whole game so whoeever they fall to will need to be sharp to take them.

As a few folk have said going one up early on will make for a cracking game however I can't see the fun lasting more than 20 odd minutes as Steaua will undoubtedly score at some point.

A draw on the night would be an outstanding result but all I'm really hoping for is some evidence that we have that wee bit of spark to compete for the top 6 of the SPL. I was gonnay say I'll be watching the game with competing SPL in mind but fuck that, I'm just gonnay enjoy it for what it is.

It all hinges on an early goal for us.

If we can go 1-0 up within the first 20 minutes, then we have a slight chance. The atmosphere will shite on Thursday, unless we get an early goal. Suddenly, we're in with a glimmer of hope - the supporters will respond to that, and hopefully the players will too.

Nick a 2nd before half-time, and the 2nd half could be epic. All hinges on the early goal though!

It's still not impossible, but we need to play brilliantly, hope Steaua are honking, and have a fair amount of good luck on our side. We also need to take any chances that come our way.

But let's be completely honest, if we go through to the next round it'll be after one of the greatest European performances in Scottish football history!

As for an actual prediction, I'm going 2-0 to Steaua!

I can see where your coming from with regard to the atmosphere but I hope everyone who comes to the game on thursday is smart enough to know that this is probably now about preparing for the new season and gets behind the team giving them thier full vocal support, we have nothing to lose and all to gain.

After all this may well be the last ever european game played at the shitesberry excelsior :thumbup:

Any less than 8 goals from us and the season tickets going back cause we've peaked!

Seriously I'll be happy if we sore, maybe 1-2 or a draw would be lovely. I'm with Jay - an early goal would be excellent for us and would really help the atmosphere, hopefully panic them a wee bit and we'll maybe sneak a win.....

if we go through to the next round it'll be after one of the greatest European performances in Scottish football history!

Rather than Scottish history - I think ever.

Much as I would love to win on THursday the most important thing to me is that we give a good account of ourselves. We have some good players and I hope the likes of Slane, Humphrey, O'Brien, Coke express themselves and have a go and make them work for it. If we win 2-0 on the night or lose 0-2 on the night and do that then I'll have no complaints. We've fulfilled our seeding in this and I always expected we would lose in this round and anything else is a bonus. We have just come up against a team that are better than us.

Whilst it is unlikely that we will turn this around.........football has a habit of surprising you. An early goal for us is crucial - just think back to the pandemonium when we went a goal up against Flamurtari. If we do score early, then it's game (almost!) on. Steaua are a quality side, and as mentioned earlier they really should be in the Champions League, by far the best football side we have played against in many a long year, and a defeat to them is no embarrassment - despite what the meeja are trying to tell us. You can be sure a defeat for either of the OF would have seen them described as "gallant" or "brave".

If we fail to go through, I will view this as a genuine European campaign, where we won two ties after losing the first leg, where our new manager was put straight in at the coal face, young players emerged, and the squad in general got valuable competitive match experience before the start of the SPL season........and the fans got to ride the Motherwell roller coaster through the summer months.

BELIEVE - the dream is not over yet !!

Stuart.

Their goalie dropped two in dangerous positions in the first leg. A repeat of that in the first 20 mins and its game on. Reckon Gannon will have noticed that as well and get him put under some pressure from the start. He's pulled performances out of the hat so far in 2nd legs after he's had a look at the opposition, who knows. :nod:

Early goal and we have a chance, but to be fair they have the potential to score on the break and they have shown how dangerous they are.

Still think if Coke had buried that chance we could really have put the frighteners on them.

I am just going over on Thursday to enjoy myself and hopefully watch a great game of football - if we go though I will be amazed!

Just hope the crowd gets behind them no matter how the game pans out. These guys deserve nothing but praise for the way we have handled this Euro adeventure. New team, new manager, half of them just kids and 11 goals scored - canny argue with that!