The Green Green Grass Of Home

delboy

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there are other heavy pitches around that are cutting up badly - however ours appears to be far worse. It looks like our entire pitch is dead. The other parks that are cutting up have far more substance to them than ours. Our looks 'powdery' underfoot - like the 'Horse of the Year Show' that used to be on telly.

The problem now is apparently the drainage is working too good in that the pitch isn't retaining any water and that is why the roots are churning up so easy. St Mirren have just moved to a new park and aren't experiencing any problems to the same extent that we are. The most disappointing thing is that in the last few years our team has performed better away from home because of other folks pitches being in a better state than Fir Park. Those folk who only going to the home games are missing some of our best performances over the last few years.

The problem now is apparently the drainage is working too good in that the pitch isn't retaining any water and that is why the roots are churning up so easy.

To me that is the major problem. Footballers should be able to play in muddy conditions or bare pitches during the winter.

It's something entirely different when the pitch has hundreds of churned up piles of turf and soil all over it. Even a short pass is taking three or four bobbles before it gets to its man.

To me that is the major problem. Footballers should be able to play in muddy conditions or bare pitches during the winter.

:unsure:

Of course they *can* play on it. Difference is, mud and bare pitches aren't conducive to good football. I think it's getting to the stage where the pitch determines tactics.

Jack Ross' blog on the BBC website...

Don't make ploughed fields an excuse

Post categories: Football

Jack Ross | 11:14 UK time, Monday, 8 February 2010

Bowling greens and ploughed fields! Two of the most commonly used phrases to describe the condition of a football pitch and each at either end of surface quality spectrum.

The state of the playing surfaces in the Scottish Premier League is a hot topic at present and, while not wishing to join the significant criticism they have attracted, I thought it would be better to question whether a poor pitch can influence performances and results.

Initially, it is nonsense to suggest that there is no effect upon a player's display as a consequence of the surface being sub-standard. As, surely, if golfers can suffer from poorly prepared greens and cricketers from dodgy wickets then a footballer can suffer from playing on a "ploughed field"!

However, how much these factors affect the performance is another matter, suggesting that those who recognise the difficulties they may face and prepare accordingly will prevail.

Our semi-final victory against Hearts last week was a great example of this. We had the experience of playing at Fir Park a short time before the cup match and therefore were aware of the problems the pitch could pose.

This enabled us to play in a system, and at a tempo, which was best suited to Fir Park and ultimately helped us to victory. By playing in a manner that allowed us to get close to Hearts' players and pressure them on a difficult surface, we were able to gain possession in good areas of the pitch and try to create from there.

firpark595.jpg

I must point out at this juncture that I actually agree with Motherwell manager Craig Brown in that there are other pitches in the SPL that are having tremendous difficulties at the moment, mainly because of the recent extreme weather, and that it is probably too easy to just highlight the shortcomings of the Fir Park surface.

From a personal point of view, I have never found the condition of the pitch a hugely negative factor. While obviously preferring the "bowling green" surfaces of early season, I have had enough experience of the more agricultural pitches throughout the leagues to be able to adapt to a pitch that may be cutting up, or bereft of grass.

In truth, the higher the level you play, the more spoiled you become in terms of what you are offered the opportunity to perform on and, indeed, usually one of the more problematic issues for players in the top flight is their choice of boots on modern pitches.

The decision to wear moulded or metal studs is made more complicated because a number of the new pitches, such as ours at St Mirren, tend to be very firm underneath, with a slick top surface. This is a great combination to allow the ball to be passed quickly but can mean the pitch feels too hard for studs but too slippery for moulded boots.

However, players will make their choice on what they believe will allow them to perform well and will adapt to the conditions modern surfaces present as much as they will to the problems poor pitches and inclement weather provide.

I have no doubt that all players, including myself, will have a moan and complaint about a park that is below the standards we expect and at times blame it for a disappointing display. However, while a rutted pitch is always a factor, it should never be an excuse!

I am watching the Colchester v Southend game on Sky Sports and the park is as bad as, if not worse than Fir Park.

Seems it is not just us!!!

Massively worse than Fir park that. And that's a brand new pitch and stadium is it not?

According to my Dad, it used to be widely recognised that Motherwell had the best playing surface in Scottish Football.

Is it not the case that the South Stand is causing the major problems with the pitch due to a lack of sunlight. I am sure that I heard Pat Nevin commenting once that the problems with the pitch will never be solved till they leave Fir Park.

According to my Dad, it used to be widely recognised that Motherwell had the best playing surface in Scottish Football.
Almost. They used to say that, apart from Hampden, Fir Park had the best playing surface. Unfortunately, both have deteriorated over the years.

Is it not the case that the South Stand is causing the major problems with the pitch due to a lack of sunlight. I am sure that I heard Pat Nevin commenting once that the problems with the pitch will never be solved till they leave Fir Park.

Your father is right, although maybe not the best, but was certainly up there.

As for the South Stand ............. the perfect example why Bill Dickie should get nowhere near designing any new stadium. Imagine building a monster stand on the south side of a ground with no in-built provision to stream sunlight onto the pitch :nod:

I was shocked on Saturday at how much the pitch had deteriorated. While I did not think it looked as bad as it has done the previous two seasons I thought it had more of an impact on the game and a quick look at some old highlights seemed to back that up.

Last season there was excuse that the drainage and heating was knackered and the whole pitch was going to be re-constructed from top to bottom in the summer. It know appears that the work in the summer has turned out to be an expensive folly. Whether that is the fault of the contractors brought in during the summer or of Fir Park's own groundsmen remains to be seen and I can only assume an internal investigation is underway. Public relations will mean an explanation will be needed and we all know there will be much more made of the pitch after tomorrow night's game against Rangers than there was after the Accies game, particularly if manage to take something from the game.

Explanations are one thing though and surely extensive and expensive remedial works will be required. Did we not also receive a suspended fine for the state of the pitch last season?

Did we not also receive a suspended fine for the state of the pitch last season?

Yes the pitch is a disgrace, but I can't see how we could be fined.

The pitch is playable. If it wasn't the referee would have called it off, which hasn't happened, and isn't like to happen just because there's a load of sand on it (and hardly any grass). We also have adequate pitch protection, covers and USH so I can't see how we'd be fined.

we cant get fined, the suspended fine means nothing now as there was extensive + expensive surgery to the pitch during the summer, but it needs investigated as to whats happened, were the contractors cowboys? have the groundstaff fucked up?

I dont think the score tomorrow worries me as much as injury potential, ok we might sneak a draw or even a win, Gers will still be miles ahead, but imagine the backlash if Boyd or Miller re-injure themselves or Bougherra/Davis get hurt and they lose 1 or 2 important players for the most important weeks/months of the season

I dont think the score tomorrow worries me as much as injury potential, ok we might sneak a draw or even a win, Gers will still be miles ahead, but imagine the backlash if Boyd or Miller re-injure themselves or Bougherra/Davis get hurt and they lose 1 or 2 important players for the most important weeks/months of the season

I can't bring myself to lose sleep over the possibility of Rangers's players getting injured tomorrow night. In fact, the thought of it might make me sleep soundly tonight. Sweet dreams... :O

IMO the single biggest factor is our pitch protection. If we'd done nothing and let nature take it's course during the bad weather our pitch would be fine. We played on Hamilton palace 2 week ago Sunday and it was near perfect as could be for January. Zero maintenance - excellent surface. Undersoil heating + covers in a vain attempt to have a game playable - the fuck up of a surface we now have.

Maybe not as simplistic but remember the drainage problems we had previously were also caused by the undersoil heating baking the clay soil hard. About time someone took the SPL to task for ordering clubs to invest in a very expensive system which causes as many problems as it solves. Don't suppose it can be proven that any of the eejits who came up with this rule have shares in the company that installs the systems can it? :O

Statement now on official site. Had to happen and probably timed just right as there will be major comments on it tomorrow.

“Given the facts and the reality of our efforts I would appeal to fans of all clubs to bear with us and for commentators who lead public opinion to contact us to understand the situation so that their comments may be informed.”

That sadly isn't going to happen.

I still don't understand why St Mirren aren't having the same problems we are.