The Green Green Grass Of Home

delboy

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup. Hard to disagree with anything he's written. Perhaps could have mentioned in passing that we were told it would suffer a bit in its first winter, but that surely doesn't account for the mess it's in now.

I disagree. I think we all know this winter was an exception to the norm and it's clearly had a major impact on the pitch.

The fact this guy can say "This time there can be no excuses." in one paragraph and "Perhaps they are blameless and circumstances were out of their control" in another makes me think it's not exactly the most informed article and rather just another chance for someone to jump on the bandwagon.

I still don't understand why St Mirren aren't having the same problems we are.

Different location, different type of grass, different drainage system, could be any number of reasons.

The club doubtless deserves a lot of the criticism they're getting over this, but just making direct comparisons to other pitches is rather over-simplifying things, I suspect. If a pitch identical to St.Mirren's had been identically laid and looked after at Fir Park, I'm sure you would still see differences between the two at this stage of the season.

Different location, different type of grass, different drainage system, could be any number of reasons.

The club doubtless deserves a lot of the criticism they're getting over this, but just making direct comparisons to other pitches is rather over-simplifying things, I suspect. If a pitch identical to St.Mirren's had been identically laid and looked after at Fir Park, I'm sure you would still see differences between the two at this stage of the season.

It could be, but is it? The club are drawing comparisons to other clubs in their official statement. So we can only do that if it suits us? The main reasons I have seen for our pitch being dreadful is because it is new and the weather has been terrible. Weather in Paisley hasn't been great either and they PLAYED matches on the park throughout the bad spell. Furthermore their pitch is only about 6/7 months older than ours. They should, by the criteria I listed above, have been experiencing similar issues surely?

Also exactly how many different ways is there to lay and look after a football pitch which is used at a pro level? If we aren't doing the same thing that St Mirren is doing we bloody well better start now.

Also exactly how many different ways is there to lay and look after a football pitch which is used at a pro level? If we aren't doing the same thing that St Mirren is doing we bloody well better start now.
Different soil, different weather, different starting point (St. Mirren started from scratch).

EDIT: Mind you, not driving a tractor over it might have made a wee bit of difference.

Different soil, different weather, different starting point (St. Mirren started from scratch).

EDIT: Mind you, not driving a tractor over it might have made a wee bit of difference.

I don't think we've go many outs and I'm really fed up with us playing the 'poor us' card. We've got to be more in control of our own destiny

However in defence vs St Mirren - their pitch was in place way before they started playing on it - it was in place while they we're fitting out the stands - so they have more than a few months on us.

Well done to the club for finally putting out a statement loving the comment from Leeanne

“We completely understand the criticism of our pitch and share the frustration. However I hope that all fair-minded people can see we have taken every possible action to solve the problems of last year.

(Translation We know it looks shit but really its fixed )

“The reality of our climate and the time of year we play the games has made it impossible for our new pitch to bed down. We are consulting with Greentech about what actions we, and they, should now undertake. We will keep the Scottish Premier League fully updated on our situation.

“Given the facts and the reality of our efforts I would appeal to fans of all clubs to bear with us and for commentators who lead public opinion to contact us to understand the situation so that their comments may be informed.”

(To the Daily Ranger and the H*n so called newspapers gie it a rest if you have issues talk to us first why dont you all just shut the fuck up about the pitch we need to play on it too)

You can bet yer arse that the tabloid press will either ignore this totally or twist it to suit their own ends. As someone as pointed out earlier we're getting results on it so GIRFUY

I don't think we've go many outs and I'm really fed up with us playing the 'poor us' card. We've got to be more in control of our own destiny

However in defence vs St Mirren - their pitch was in place way before they started playing on it - it was in place while they we're fitting out the stands - so they have more than a few months on us.

To paraphrase the GM, I try to stay "fair minded" in these circumstances and I agree that is a very valid point to counter my argument.

Statement now on official site. Had to happen and probably timed just right as there will be major comments on it tomorrow.

"Given the facts and the reality of our efforts I would appeal to fans of all clubs to bear with us and for commentators who lead public opinion to contact us to understand the situation so that their comments may be informed."

That sadly isn't going to happen.

I still don't understand why St Mirren aren't having the same problems we are.

Ours is way worse

Have you all not paid attention to the fact that we totally renewed the pitch in the summer,new grass and all, then we have the severest winter in years, ush working perfectly, drainage working perfectly, snow covers absulutely necessary unfortunately, the length of time the covers lay on the grass all but killed the new grass. Our pitch was laid in the summer and the winter hit just 5 months later!

Other pitches have suffered a modicum of damage but none as severe as ours. If our pitch was renewed two years or so ago and the SPL clubs renewed theirs in the summer then ours would be in a far superior state. I'm willing to wager that we will have the best surface in Scotland.

St Mirrens pitch is now in it's 2nd or 3rd year!

Have you all not paid attention to the fact that we totally renewed the pitch in the summer,new grass and all, then we have the severest winter in years, ush working perfectly, drainage working perfectly, snow covers absulutely necessary unfortunately, the length of time the covers lay on the grass all but killed the new grass. Our pitch was laid in the summer and the winter hit just 5 months later!

Other pitches have suffered a modicum of damage but none as severe as ours. If our pitch was renewed two years or so ago and the SPL clubs renewed theirs in the summer then ours would be in a far superior state. I'm willing to wager that we will have the best surface in Scotland.

St Mirrens pitch is now in it's 2nd or 3rd year!

Plus the difference with St Mirren is that they grew their pitch. It wasnt laid turf, it was a grown grass pitch. Big massive difference. The grass is knit when growing and not having to knit together like ours.

You are deluding yourself if you think Aberdeen's pitch is anywhere near as bad as ours. Plus they do not have the previous we do. We deserve all the criticism we get about the pitch. Just cos we were forced to spend a few bob on it in the summer does not make up for years of neglect.