The Green Green Grass Of Home

delboy

It never ceases to amaze me the knowledge of your average punter on this forum :lol: I never realised that the 'Well had so many horticulturalists supporting them. :lol:

I think you will find browsing these boards, a number of experts in many fields :lol:

Too be fair though, you don't have to be a horticulturalist, or even a groundsman to note how shite the pitch looked on Saturday.

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Brown said something in his interview on Saturday that the covers had been left on for weeks and that kills the grass.

Considering Saturday was our first home game in almost a month that is fucking ridiculous.

All points towards shite groundsmen, no matter how much effort was put in during the summer.

I think Brown said something in his interview on Saturday that the covers had been left on for weeks and that kills the grass.

Considering Saturday was our first home game in almost a month that is fucking ridiculous.

All points towards shite groundsmen, no matter how much effort was put in during the summer.

Thats what I thought as well. Not a groundsman, but neither is Brown and he seemed to know about covers killing grass. Cant we have let the snow fall and then clear it? Or leave the covers on for the two days of snow and then remove snow and covers?

Surely the minute that Accies game was called off 3 days before the match for the burst pipes, we should have had the US turned off and covers removed given we were not due to play at home again for weeks. Maybe we did, maybe its our manager who is mistaken?? :lol:

Please can I watch Ian's reaction to you personally calling him a shite groundsman :P I'm sure he will be pleased to hear your informed feedback ;):lol::lol::lol:

Maybe warrantys go when they hear we had the US heating running for 3 weeks with pitch covers on top, even though we were only scheduled to be playing the one game on it anyway!

That's the bit I can't understand either. How can it be so bad when its hardly been used? The speed that it has gone from looking like a decent pitch to a midden is rediculous. I don't think anyone wants to blame the groundsmen, but they're fast running out of excuses.

It never ceases to amaze me the knowledge of your average punter on this forum :doh: I never realised that the 'Well had so many horticulturalists supporting them. :ph34r:

Well, some have qualifications in this field :evilgrin:

Then we drive a tractor over it to feed it mid winter, rip up the baldy patches then go and clear B&Q out of bog standard turf and slap it on the park.

The pitch required to be fed, same for all other clubs, ecology that one. Use of undersoil heating systems naturally has the root system thinking it's growth season. Use of tractor on a sodden surface? Folly. Increased task maybe, this could have been handled manually. :nod: If remedial work was required, could the area between the South and Main Stand not be utilised as a nursery patch given the same processes of the pitch last close season with turf of similar quality? It worked before...

That's the bit I can't understand either. How can it be so bad when its hardly been used? The speed that it has gone from looking like a decent pitch to a midden is rediculous. I don't think anyone wants to blame the groundsmen, but they're fast running out of excuses.

To align with current industry talk, understanding the first winter was to be difficult and we'd have problems, particularly if it was harsh which it has proved. The pitch has succumbed to the process of 'leaching', whereby water has been standing then draining too quickly. With incorrect use of surface protection or warmth causing baldness just like in yer average follically challenged fellow. Totally avoidable, tut tut groundsman.

Please can I watch Ian's reaction to you personally calling him a shite groundsman :P I'm sure he will be pleased to hear your informed feedback ;):evilgrin::evilgrin::evilgrin:

Anytime you want, he's proven he couldn't put a nut in a monkeys mouth. Again.

That's the bit I can't understand either. How can it be so bad when its hardly been used?
It doesn't matter that its hardly been used. It's the fact that it has been down to -15c, its been covered for 3 weeks, Undersoil heating being on (ok that may have been a mistake....) and with the new drainage the water is just rushing through the soil since the grass root structure is not yet fully established. hey, sh1t happens.

It doesn't matter that its hardly been used. It's the fact that it has been down to -15c, its been covered for 3 weeks, Undersoil heating being on (ok that may have been a mistake....) and with the new drainage the water is just rushing through the soil since the grass root structure is not yet fully established. hey, sh1t happens.

Aye but why does that shit always happen to us!!

That's not 'shit happening' that's 'shit that it was allowed to happen'

maybe the groundsmen should go ask someone at colvilles or dl park for some advice on how to keep the pitch in great condition... as these are some of the best playing surfaces around at amatuer level and and are used alot more than fir park.

hahaha, pull the other one. Dalziel park is only "good" because no-one is allowed to play on it when there is a hint of rain in london...

17945_319661215864_210454735864_5004689_6830434_n.jpg

Incase anyone is interested. New goal mouth laid yesterday. Just seen the pictures posted on facebook.

So all the growing from seed palavar wasn't really needed if we just have to lay new grass every 6 months anyways.

On the positive aspects though, Old Trafford wasn't looking too clever the other night either.

Allan Preston is a complete and utter fanny, he seem to have a real beef with all things MFC.

Don't think he's ever forgiving us for all but getting him the sack at Luvvies. He was the Manager when we absolutely humped them 5-0 in the CIS QF at Almondvale.