Who Do You Field Against Ict?

Guest Papaguigz

Guest Papaguigz

Given a full, fit squad, who would you field against ICT on 27th?

Personally?

Smith in goals

Four at the back of Saunders, Craggs, Klimpl and Hammy (only cos we only have Hammy!)

Three in the middle. Bob holding, with Lasley and Shug flanking

Three up front. Sutton as target man and wee Murphy and Clarky making runs.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you think we are bad at defending just now, you should have seen Inverness at the weekend. We aint been great of recent weeks, but they fell apart easily against Aberdeen on Saturday. This week-end should see plenty of goals, that's for sure, surely we can kick-start the season at long last?!

Porters last chance for me! How many must score opportunities does one striker need! He has to bang at least one in against ICT, and for that he must start. He is the main reason why we've not been scoring recently. It has to change

Compared to Accies team

Clarky in for Sutton

Fizzy in for McGarry

Craigan in for Reynolds...

if all fit.

What the hell has happened to Clarky? How is he injured? He didn't play for 3 games due to suspension so when did he get injured?

McGhee, in my mind, cannae moan about not having Clarkson out considering he shat out of appealing his ridiculously harsh red card for whatever reason.

McGhee, in my mind, cannae moan about not having Clarkson out considering he shat out of appealing his ridiculously harsh red card for whatever reason.

That was down to McGhee being told not to appeal by an ex-official (Hugh Dallas, probably?) due to Clarkys arm being above shoulder height and was told it would be pointless to appeal..

Im sure that was what I heard somewhere, or I dreamt it..

And hopefully, he won't be out to much longer again, I think hes back for the weekend..

I think it is a very big IF to say a fully fit squad as I can't see Craggs or Clarky being available.

But I'll ask santa to give us a fit squad and I'd pick

Smith

Quinn - Craggs - Reynolds - Hammy

Malcolm

Lasley - Hughes - Fizzy

Clarky - Porter

Having watched the highlights of ICTvDons from the weekend I think they might come and shut up shop and play 1 up front, they will hope to keep it tight get the fans on the home team's back and sneak a goal. With the time I would pick we need to get Quin and Hammy push up wide as much as possible.

Porters last chance for me! How many must score opportunities does one striker need! He has to bang at least one in against ICT, and for that he must start. He is the main reason why we've not been scoring recently.

So, 1 goal in 6 games is all Porters fault? Nothing to do with the other 10 punters that have been playing with him?? :blink:

Or the fact he has had over 75% of the 30-40 attempst at goal. With about 75% of those he would have banged in with ease last season! That's his fault! The problem is not we're not creating chances, but the fact when we have created chances they are not scoring them. Mainly Porter!

As good as Saunders has been I'd bring Coach back in there. Saunders is still young and you don't really want all the negativity or what not to get to him. I wouldn't be upset if he played mind!

I wouldn't give Bob Malcom a shout in a million years, unless we have a free kick I don't see what he's bringing to the table.

Or the fact he has had over 75% of the 30-40 attempst at goal. With about 75% of those he would have banged in with ease last season! That's his fault! The problem is not we're not creating chances, but the fact when we have created chances they are not scoring them. Mainly Porter!

At least when he isn't scoring he is working hard for the team. Sutton is doing very little for the team or himself just now. On Saturday there was at least 2 occassions when had Sutton bust a gut to get in at the front post he would've recieved the ball with only the keeper to beat. All strikers have good and bad patches but I expect them to put in a shift regardless of whether they are playing good or bad and Porter can't be faulted for that in the last few games.

The problem is that the midfield ain't creating enough chances for the strikers. Most of Porters chances recently he's had to create for himself. Last year we were creating enough chances and could afford a couple of misses, now the chances are in short supply because of the midfield and its putting extra pressure on the strikers to make the most of what they are getting and unfortunately that ain't happening. I think Porter will benefit from Clarky coming back into the team as it will maybe save him having to drop back to pick the ball up and bring others into the game. Porter is a finisher not a link-up man.

The midfield isn't getting a chance too, because we hoof it right over the top of them.

By not moving into space, they ain't giving the players around them any other option but to play it long. Our midfield are also as guilty as our defence of playing long passes as well.

With a full squad?

Smith

Saunders--Craigan--Reynolds--Hammell

Hughes--Lasley--Fitzpatrick

Murphy--Porter--Clarkson

With who we have fit at the mo

Smith

Saunders--Klimpl--Reynolds--Hammell

Hughes--Lasley--Fitzpatrick

Murphy--Porter--O'Brien

Okay our defence will be shaky regardless of who plays it would seem, but I reckon thats the best we can do right now.

I'd have Fitzpatrick in my side every single day of the week, because his main attribute is the one GLARING thing we dont have right now...doesnt matter if we're 3 up or 3 down, he'll work til his legs drop off for the cause. Him and Las will sit and break up the play allowing Hughes to TRYYYY and get back to what he does best.

Up front, the three will hopefully stop us playing the ball over the top so much and allow Porter to get on the ball in good positions rather than having the ball pumped up to him with his back to goal and no support. Contrary to popular opinion I thought O'Brien put some great crosses into the box when he came on against Hamilton, and that, with Murphys trickery, and the two of them switching sides should keep the ICT defence on their toes.

Leaves us with a bench of Bob, Sutton, McGarry, Quinn, Darren Smith...which is fairly strong under the circumstances.

Ball to feet fairly early, two defensive mid's breaking up the play and helping out the back four, Hughes to get his foot on the ball and his head up with plenty of options ahead of him into Porters feet or wide to O'Brien/Murphy...with the two of them switching sides/running at their backline.

I dont think theres any way we wouldnt come away with less than 3 points. Everyone playing a role they are suited to and being allowed to enjoy their football, and providing the cohesion and "team" that McGhee keeps saying is missing.