St Johnstone Match Thread - The Dawning Of A New Era!

steelboy

I'll stand by my 4 - 0 to the Well. Dont care who scores but I do think we will rip them apart. New boys just up from the first or not WE have it all to prove and JG will have fire in the bellies of our first 11.

I wonder whos puttin dubbin on there boots just now and getting all excited about pulling on the C&A ah the start of a new season canny beat it. Hamilton are going down this year too :lol:

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Team

Ruddy

Hutchinson, Craigan, Hammell

Reynolds

Forbes, Coke, Slane, O'brien

Sutton, Murphy

Bring on Jennings if Coke is struggling or slane being pushed about

and Humpreys for some pace in second half if we tire

I'd keep sutton on to lay off to Murphy as our target man and hope we get a 3 v 1 win

id prob second this team, although i dont feel so confident about this game as most on here seem to.

Same team that started against Steaua 2nd second. Get at them from the first minute and really have a go. It's my first game this season so I'm like a kid on Christmas Eve in anticipation and just hope we can get off to flyer! As far as predictions go, I've went for 2-1 to the Mighty on the CB Score Selector but it really could go either way as both teams are unknown quantities to each other.

Mon the Well!!!!!!!!

Dearie me guys, are some of you on the wine already ??? Some of you have got us down for a 3, 4 or even 5 goal skelping of the Saintees tomorrow, and I really don't see where the optimisim is coming from. Last season we finished seventh, and since then we've lost, arguably and amongst others, our best three players in Hughes, Clarkson and Quinn. They've been replaced by a guy whose team were relegated to League 2, no one and no one. Pre season we've been gubbed twice (not unexpectedly) by Steaua, beaten by an Albanian side which finished sixth in their league last term and the Welsh League Runners Up. The remainder of the squad has been topped up by a rake of under 19's, which I don't think have got more then half a dozen first team appearances between them, Stevie Jennings, the fourth choice Everton 'Keeper, a Guy that plied his trade in League 2 last year and somebody else that tried and failed to get a contract at Accies !!!!! Where are the grounds for this optimisim ? Now don't get me wrong, I did see both the Flamurtari, Steaua games at Airdrie, and I was pleasantly surprised at how we went about our business, but let's not get carried away. I see this squad very similar to the one Butcher inherited post Administration with Hammell, Lasley, Pearson and McFadden. That season saw probably my most enjoyable year following our Club, sadly though we finished bottom. On the back of that I'd be delighted with a draw tomorrow, and a top eight finish. However, a bad start and it could be a long dark winter. Cheeri-bye !

Dearie me guys, are some of you on the wine already ??? Some of you have got us down for a 3, 4 or even 5 goal skelping of the Saintees tomorrow, and I really don't see where the optimisim is coming from. Last season we finished seventh, and since then we've lost, arguably and amongst others, our best three players in Hughes, Clarkson and Quinn. They've been replaced by a guy whose team were relegated to League 2, no one and no one. Pre season we've been gubbed twice (not unexpectedly) by Steaua, beaten by an Albanian side which finished sixth in their league last term and the Welsh League Runners Up. The remainder of the squad has been topped up by a rake of under 19's, which I don't think have got more then half a dozen first team appearances between them, Stevie Jennings, the fourth choice Everton 'Keeper, a Guy that plied his trade in League 2 last year and somebody else that tried and failed to get a contract at Accies !!!!! Where are the grounds for this optimisim ? Now don't get me wrong, I did see both the Flamurtari, Steaua games at Airdrie, and I was pleasantly surprised at how we went about our business, but let's not get carried away. I see this squad very similar to the one Butcher inherited post Administration with Hammell, Lasley, Pearson and McFadden. That season saw probably my most enjoyable year following our Club, sadly though we finished bottom. On the back of that I'd be delighted with a draw tomorrow, and a top eight finish. However, a bad start and it could be a long dark winter. Cheeri-bye !

Your last bit is the only part I agree with.

Stuart.

When we consider we are essentially playing an team of under 23's + Craigan, I reckon its vital we get off to a flyer.

A couple of wins in those first two matches will give the boys confidence and set them on their way. If they come down with a bump and beaten in two of the easier games then it will take something out them and I could imagine we'd be in for a long hard season.

As for tomorrow, head says 2-2.

Heart says 4-0 Welcome to the SPL St Johnstone Mon the 'well!

Oh dear, a large slice of realism - that won't go down well.

St. Johnstone have brought in a lot of seasoned pro's and have had some decent results in friendlies. I can see a draw tomorrow but it doesn't mean I won't celebrate a win!

As I can't name a single St Johnstone player, there isn't much point giving a prediction, so I will just give it a big "Moan Ye 'Weeeeeeeeeeell" for the new season. Best of luck in Perth, let's see what kind of start they can make. I shall try to get online for updates during the game. :(

The performance against Steaua has given me reason to be excited and optimistic for the season ahead. Although I do understand that we can't expect such a young team to perform to those levels every week.

I'm starting to think we might sneak it tomorrow, due to our superior fitness from the Euro workout's and confidence from the Steaua game.

However, I'll stick to my original guess on the predictor.

1-1

Alan Main MOM.

As I can't name a single St Johnstone player, there isn't much point giving a prediction, so I will just give it a big "Moan Ye 'Weeeeeeeeeeell" for the new season. Best of luck in Perth, let's see what kind of start they can make. I shall try to get online for updates during the game. :(

Thanks for that valuable input. Not sure who Manure are playing, but hope yous get pumped!

I fancy a comfortable victory for us tomorrow, and Ladbrokes' 6/4 is a smokin' bet in my opinion. 2-0 to the good guys - Sutton and Murphy. Hope our promising young 'uns get a run out at some point, especially McHugh, as I think we will need him at some point - if Sutters gets injured.

Eddie Steelmen is right to be fair. People don't like the truth though.

Yeah, if you prefer to always take the pessimist's view! I prefer to think we will do ok this season (8-7th), and strangely the players who have left, wont be missed, with improvement season on season under Gannon. I also think when Gannon does leave, we will be in a far better position than the one Mutley left us in......hopefully that wont be for a good few years yet though!

It's easier to be a pessimist, cos it's easier to say you were right if things don't go to plan. To me, views like yours and Eddie Steelmen is exactly what is wrong with football in this country, perhaps even what is wrong with this country as a whole. Why always be so negative? It's a if some people actually wish for failure, just so they can moan about it in the pub, or in work!

I prefer to be positive! 3-2 Well! :whistling: Keep smiling!

There is a lot of truth in what EddieSteelman said above and I agree, this season could well be a struggle for us and I would take avoiding relegation right now if offered. I'm not writing off our season just now and saying that I expect us to be relegated and we've no chance etc. but we must remember the players, and manager, that we have lost over the summer and we don't know how the new regime and his recruits will cope with SPL football. With the squad we have just now, I am worried for us, as we are very, very light in certain areas, namely the right back, central defence and strikeforce, so I reckon that's good reason for concern.

As for today, I'm going for 2-1 to St.Johnstone. It's always difficult to play the newly promoted side on the first day of the season and I just don't see us winning this one. But hey, I stand to be corrected and I'll be absolutely delighted if I'm proved wrong.

Here's to the new season and the rollercoaster ahead! :whistling: