St Johnstone Match Thread - The Dawning Of A New Era!

steelboy

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just in from the game....

Where do I start :doh:

First half I thought we were pretty poor until they scored with J O'B not having the best of games on the left wing. Craigan was getting bullied by Dr Deuchar nd Sutton won diddly squat. J O'B was trying hard but his final delivery too often let him down.

Yet again Mr Gannon showed that he wasnt afraid to change it and take off the senior players. I thought the inclusion of McHugh changed the game, showed a lot of strenght and running and the boy has a very good football brain, know idea why McDonald never sent off McCaffrey for the last man tackle on McHugh aswell, shocking.. It was a cracking 2nd half to watch to be fair. End to end stuff. Our defending at times at high balls again was shambolic, wasnt to impressed with Ruddy today.... fair enuff the conditions werent great with the wind but we looked like conceding everytime a ball was played into the box.

Enough of the bad stuff now onto the good...... what a goal by Forbes, that boys left foot is sweet. Great first touch and a beautiful stroke into the top bag, cant wait to see that again. Also a brilliant header from the Hutch for our first. Two good goals.

Thought the young lad Hately was solid today for his first game, nothing spectaular but solid at right back, especially since he was up against morias for a lot of the game who certainly is a decent player.

Was always going to be a hard game and all in all a point isnt a bad result.....

p.s. if o'Briens strike had went in I think I would have creamed my pants what a dink, very very unlucky.

Thats me just in. Firstly, all the teams that folk posted earlier are wrong. We lined up first half with....

--------------------Ruddy--------------------

Hateley---Hutchison---Craigan---Hammell

------------------Reynolds-------------------

----Murphy---Coke---Forbes---O'Brien----

-------------------Sutton---------------------

Second half switching to pretty much...

--------------------Ruddy----------------------

Hateley---Hutchison---Reynolds---Hammell

----------------Coke---Forbes-----------------

Humphrey-----------------------------O'Brien

--------------McHugh---Murphy---------------

Hateley had a really good debut considering he's only just in the door. Reynolds didnt get to grips with his holding role in the first half at all, and Hammell had possibly the worst game i've seen him have in either spell at the club. Forbes was very quiet first half, Sutton was winning knock-ons but with no-one supporting him.

Second half was a totally different kettle of fish apart from Hammell who continued to be really poor. Humphrey got a few good balls across the box, and the front players looked much more confident....potential to score every time we went forward.

To summarise, St Johnstone looked much better than most established SPL sides. If they can keep that kinda performance up then they will be looking at a 8th/9th place finish at the very worst. Certainly look to have so much more to offer than the regular bottom-feeders. Ross Forbes equalised with what could end up being goal of the season already....but Jim O'Brien was an inch away from topping it with one of the most sublime shots i've seen. If you remember Novo's goal in the cup final, or futher back Steve McManaman for Liverpool where they let a throw-in go across their body then turn and smack it from 30 yards...it was exactly like that, and cracked off the corner of the goal-frame.

When Ross Forbes confidence is high, he is fantastic to watch...need to be careful not to fade away when things arent going our way though.

Giles Coke is the most assured and composed footballer i've ever seen in a Motherwell shirt. Touch, awareness and timing are unbelieveable.

Perfect summary for me Al.

First half we were absolutely woeful, looked lacklustre and disjointed. Half time, Gannon made the changes and in the second half we were brilliant going forward. Humphrey in particular impressed me with his direct running.

Defensively, oh dear. We look VERY shaky at the back, understandable, given the inexperience and lack of time together they have had, but we look like we'll concede goals, but by the same token, score some. Goals from a centre half and a midfielder, for Motherwell, who'd have thunk it?

Can't really add anything about Hammell, he was pish. Craigan, I think his jacket is on a very shaky peg, looks slow and was reading the game very poorly today for a man of his experience.

As an aside, I hope everyone who travelled up there made the game. Those works at Castlecary were awful, we juked off the A80 and through Cumbernauld and missed the majority of it, but it was looking a bit scary for a while. Worse going the other way right enough.

Edit to add: What was up with Slane today, injury or just left out?

I'm just back and agree with you Al B.

So dodgy again at set pieces and better teams will punish us much harder than St. J did. We were lucky also with them missing an open goal, when Ruddy came out with that ridiculous slide at the edge of the box.

Hopefully we can sort this out for next week and fire a few into Killie

Mon the well!

Motherwell manager Jim Gannon:

"I did not need to make the changes, but as a manager you are paid to make decisions.

"We needed much more energy, we needed much more enthusiasm and needed players who were going to take more responsibility to pass the ball properly and attack with a bit of what we call slick and quick.

"And we saw that in the second half. It was exciting to watch and, after today's game, I am excited about what we can achieve here.

"We had two fantastic chances when it was 2-2, but there were some worrying moments as well and I am just pleased with our performance in the second half

Been trying to figure out why we looked so all over the place in the first half, a few different words came to mind but I had dismissed one because I didnt think it was possible given our pre-season. Mulled it over though and I dunno about others but for me it seems to fit....in the first half we looked nervous for some reason.

We settled though, and it looks like it will be a fun season. Going forward we look like we could potentially score every time we attack, and every time we have to defend I shite my pants.

Really enjoyed todays game overall.

Maybe some nerves. Also, despite the pre-season, this was the team's first outing against an SPL team - so a different challenge again for management and players.

Good to hear the boss got the tactics and subs right for the second half, though.