Brian Mclaughlin

SuperSteelman

:D Sad news indeed

My strongest memory of him was when we defeated East Stirling at Firs Park 6-0 in the early eighties (possibly 1st division championship season). The away end behind the goal was full of Well fans and Brian hit an absolute bullet of a shot which fizzed past the post. He hit a young lad full in the face who was the only person at that end with a black and white scarf on !

Obviously the crowd loved it but he went over to the fan and was very apologetic.

Thoughts are with his family

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:cheers: Sad news indeed

My strongest memory of him was when we defeated East Stirling at Firs Park 6-0 in the early eighties (possibly 1st division championship season). The away end behind the goal was full of Well fans and Brian hit an absolute bullet of a shot which fizzed past the post. He hit a young lad full in the face who was the only person at that end with a black and white scarf on !

Obviously the crowd loved it but he went over to the fan and was very apologetic.

Thoughts are with his family

rip,was that the game a guy had a knife?

RIP Brian

A real favourite player and one who would seriously challenge to be in my all-time Well line up. No mean feat when you consider the other midfielders we have had. What would we give for a midfielder nowadays who could score 20 in a season?

A Real class act as a player, he was one of my heros as a kid. i'll never forget the cup game against Aberdeen at fir park when we were in the 1st Division and Aberdeen were one of the best teams in Britain, we got beat 1-0 with a goal scored after 9 seconds and Brian McLaughlin was excellent, but got sent off due to that cheating wee wean Strachan..........i do recall McLaughlin did knock him about 12 foot in the air tho!!

RIP Brian, always remembered fondly by Motherwell fans.Legend

I was just starting out as a Well fan when you played and tho it was a long time ago in my mind and do remember you as one of the guys my dad and his mates would go on about for ages. Loved watching you play.

RIP Sir and my thoughts are with your family. Gone but not forgotten

It is not believed there are any suspicious circumstances

That's the bit which is really upsetting again.

I didn't see Brian play for us - there was a spell in the early 80s where I wasn't going to matches but was following the results every week. Very sad to hear of his passing.

RIP.

Stuart.

He was a wonderful player and I would have gone anywhere to see him play. Possibly the best midfielder I have seen play for Motherwell in my lifetime wonderful passer of the ball who had an eye for goal I would love to see his likes again in claret and amber. It is sad that another of my legendsb has gone long before his time. RIP Brian thanks for the memories.

Sad news indeed.

I remember when there were rumours we would sign Brian as at the time he was scoring regular screamers for Ayr United.

Then my old man took me to Douglas Park about that time to a midweek game against the Accies and much to my delight we had signed him that day and he started the game.

He scored a belter that night on his debut and was one of my favourite 'Well players after that.

Big Roddie McDonald who used to play with him at Celtic told me that but for the injury he would have been as big a name as Dalglish.

RIP Brian

He was as good if not better than Kenny Dalglish and but for injury would have gone onto play at the very highest level. He was a fantastically skilful footballer and a genuinely nice down to earth person. One of the few players I've seen that it was worth the entrance money alone to go and watch playing.

My thoughts and prayers are with Brian's family at a truly sad occasion.

One of my first favourite players, remember him and Willie Irvine scoring a barrowload between them in 81/82. Then Jock Wallace sold him to Accies, in one of his many fan-endearing decisions...

Apparently we had too many Tims in the team for Big Jock's liking. :huh:

Very sad news if confirmed. Brian was a real quality player, naturally gifted and part of a very decent Motherwell team at that time.

I will go and raise a wee glass to the man's memory :ph34r: