Brian Mclaughlin

SuperSteelman

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Classic stuff - I remember that game well. Back in the days when we were the featured game on Scotsport despite being the First Division. When I was at the match I said that Wullie P took it easy on us with his hat trick chance; and it still looks like he did :( I always liked Irvine as a player too, but he didn't quite have Wullie P's pace there!

Not the best 'Well team ever, but gave me some of my favourite times as a fan. As I recall, Wullie Irvine and Brian McLaughlin battled it out until the last game of the season for top scorer. They went to Tyncastle equal and Irvine's goal let him finish ahead, and stop the Jambos from being promoted.

Good times.

<br />A Real class act as a player, he was one of my heros as a kid. i'll never forget the cup game against Aberdeen at fir park when we were in the 1st Division and Aberdeen were one of the best teams in Britain, we got beat 1-0 with a goal scored after 9 seconds and Brian McLaughlin was excellent, but got sent off due to that cheating wee wean Strachan..........i do recall McLaughlin did knock him about 12 foot in the air tho!!<br /><br />RIP Brian, always remembered fondly by Motherwell fans.Legend<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Thats a game Ill never forget, the poisoned dwarf niggled him the whole game until as you say 12 feet in the air, after the goal in 9 secs we pummled them, and came away with nothing.

Sad news indeed.

I remember when there were rumours we would sign Brian as at the time he was scoring regular screamers for Ayr United.

Then my old man took me to Douglas Park about that time to a midweek game against the Accies and much to my delight we had signed him that day and he started the game.

He scored a belter that night on his debut and was one of my favourite 'Well players after that.

Big Roddie McDonald who used to play with him at Celtic told me that but for the injury he would have been as big a name as Dalglish.

RIP Brian

That was the first game I ever went to without my da'.

Remember seeing BMcL in the warm up and being chuffed we'd signed him. He was a regular in the BBC highlights scoring screeeeemers for Ayr. Also, if I remember correctly we'd lost Vic Davidson (I may be wrong about that bit) and McLauchlin had Davidson's ability on the ball but was probably a more direct player. A great servant to MFC.

Sad loss indeed !! RIP.

That's sad to hear. Very first ever Motherwell game I watched he had a penalty saved by an unusually superb Alan Rough save as Thistle stole a 1-0 League Cup win at Fir Park. Terrific player.

Halcyon days right enough! Was THE powderkeg fixture of its time, I and plenty others of my age I know weren't allowed to the game. Was sat on my grans verandah at Elvan Tower listening to the roar awaiting the return of my old man.

Aye, the Jambos at Fir Park was always an interesting encounter. They had the most bampots I've ever seen, and Edinburgh such a lovely place too :huh:

• 9 months later...
Hi I am unable to to open this attachment! Can anyone send me it in another format or help me open it please?

I grew up with Brian in Grangemouth and would love to see him in action one more time.

Thanks in advance for your help

Brian

http://www.steelmenonline.co.uk/forums/ind...?showtopic=6466

RIP Brian