Stephen Craigan

WilliePettigrew

Did one of the Stockport guys not come on this site and speak about the need for a bit of patience with Gannon ,he said he would experiment with players and formations. That for me says there will be games where things might go belly up, games where we might question team selection and substitutions but if that turns out for our long term benefit then so be it. :(

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rather than being the end of craigan, im pleased our manager can make "strange" subs if he feels it will change the game. compare with mcghee who, while losing, wouldnt change anyone. the message to the players is that no one is safe, so hopefully this will give them a boot up the backside. it will also be hard for other managers to cope with changing teams, formations etc and adjust to our play which we can benefit from if they cant keep up.

If I was Sutton I'd be givin Craigan a boot up the hole as well as Gannon as I think Craigan was as much to blame for Sutton getting hooked as he was for getting himself subbied - due to his hopeless punts. Sutton has played some decent Europa games where we've played the ball more on the deck to him than we did on sat.

I agree with another poster elsewhere that Sutton could maybe have contributed in the 2nd half, if left on, when there were a few more low crosses and more of our approach play was on the floor. In saying that i'm always glad to see McHugh getting a chance as in the very brief glimpses of him so far he looks exciting. Minds me loads of Dougie in terms of his physique, his ability to turn defenders from close quarters and most importantly that absolute determination to get the ball towards the net wherever he picks it up.

If you listen to or read JG's comments, he's looking for effort and application. I hope Craigan, Lasley, Fitzpatrick,etc. rise to the manager's challenge rather than take the huff.

It's my understanding that Lasley is carrying a knock. Whether he gets back into the 18 when that clears up, never mind the first 11 is another matter. Personally I'd struggle to think of 18 players I'd have in the matchday squad ahead of him, but I'm not Jim Gannon...

I agree with another poster elsewhere that Sutton could maybe have contributed in the 2nd half, if left on, when there were a few more low crosses and more of our approach play was on the floor. In saying that i'm always glad to see McHugh getting a chance as in the very brief glimpses of him so far he looks exciting. Minds me loads of Dougie in terms of his physique, his ability to turn defenders from close quarters and most importantly that absolute determination to get the ball towards the net wherever he picks it up.

the change in formation at halftime was far more relevant than the change of personnel imo. the tactics in the first were a joke: reynolds didn't have a clue what he was doing in midfield, o'brien and murphy were hugging the touchlines and miles away from sutton on the big wide park, neither coke nor forbes were getting close enough to sutton to support him and we were reduced to high balls as the midfield seemed unable to to collect the ball from the defence.

i'm no fan of sutton but i thought it's have been fair to give him ten minutes in the 4-4-2. i also thought that craigan did alright in the first half and we were more defensively sound with him in the team. if duechar wasn't so shite we'd have lost two goals to huge errors from hutchison and reynolds.

this season's going to be a learning curve and hopefully JG has learned that we don't have anyone who can play upfront alone and that something is going to have to be done to shore things up at the back. on paper st johnstone have the weakest attack in the league and if we give any other team the type of chances we gave st johnstone we'll be punished.

Note to Mods - I honestly won't mind if you explain 'untermenschen' to madscot' :thumbup:

El Grew , dont need any explanation i know what it means. Anybody with half a brain can look it up. I did offer an appology until you posted `untermenschen`.Anyway end of!

Missed the game yesterday but good to see Craigan getting praise from Gannon....

....Stephen Craigan who responded well to last week. “I thought he was tired after International game but today he looked more like the player who marshalled the defence against Steaua. I have called for players like him to lead by example and he was immense today and gave us a platform of solidity.”

• 2 months later...