Quinn And O'donnell Family

LankyMac

QUINN'S SUPPORT FOR O'DONNELL FAMILY By Ronnie Esplin, PA Sport

Motherwell defender Paul Quinn has touchingly revealed how he continues to help the widow and children of Phil O'Donnell cope with the tragic death of the former Fir Park captain almost a year ago.

O'Donnell died after collapsing during his side's Clydesdale Bank Premier League home game against Dundee United on December 29, 2007 leaving behind wife Eileen, and their four children.

The 35-year-old midfielder was treated on the pitch before being taken to a waiting ambulance but his death, through heart failure, was confirmed later by the Lanarkshire club.

As Motherwell prepare to commemorate the first anniversary of O'Donnell's passing, an emotional Quinn, 23, revealed his on-going involvement in the family's grieving process.

"I've still got lots of unanswered questions about why Phil died so young," Quinn said.

"But I said at that time of his death that if there was ever anything that Eileen and the kids needed, and I could help, then I would do it.

"I have done it and I will continue to do that until the day I die.

"I speak to Eileen regularly and she needs to know she is not alone.

"She has a wonderful family around her but she needs to know that we at the club are behind her.

"Phil would have wanted his team-mates and friends to look after his family.

"I know for a fact that if the shoe was on the other foot, he would do the same for me.

"That's just the way he was; he would certainly have been there for my family and friends."

Quinn, who has been involved in several off-field incidents this year, including having his jaw broken on a night out and being found guilty of an assault charge, also revealed Eileen O'Donnell has reciprocated with help in his times of need.

He said: "Whatever has happened to me, one person who has always phoned me to make sure that I'm all right and it's Eileen O'Donnell.

"She has sent cards, gifts and flowers.

"Hopefully, one day I will speak about what has happened to me and the truth will come out but, regardless of what happened, Eileen would have been in my corner anyway."

Quinn passed on a statement from O'Donnell's widow who admits she is still coming to terms with her loss.

The statement read: "Although I'm not strong enough to speak (about Phil's death) myself, I really want to say that I'm so very aware of the huge impact it had on so many.

"It is a year on and it still feels as raw as it did then.

"I just want to let everyone know that my children and me are forever grateful for all the support that has been given by family and friends and by the Scottish people in general.

"I'm very touched by the level of compassion shown to us throughout this most difficult time.

"Phil lives on in our children and I am very lucky to have them every day."

Quinn said: "She is having as hard a time now, as she was last year when it happened.

"She is thanking other people when she has been the bravest. That sums up Eileen."

QUINN'S SUPPORT FOR O'DONNELL FAMILY By Ronnie Esplin, PA Sport

Motherwell defender Paul Quinn has touchingly revealed how he continues to help the widow and children of Phil O'Donnell cope with the tragic death of the former Fir Park captain almost a year ago.

O'Donnell died after collapsing during his side's Clydesdale Bank Premier League home game against Dundee United on December 29, 2007 leaving behind wife Eileen, and their four children.

The 35-year-old midfielder was treated on the pitch before being taken to a waiting ambulance but his death, through heart failure, was confirmed later by the Lanarkshire club.

As Motherwell prepare to commemorate the first anniversary of O'Donnell's passing, an emotional Quinn, 23, revealed his on-going involvement in the family's grieving process.

"I've still got lots of unanswered questions about why Phil died so young," Quinn said.

"But I said at that time of his death that if there was ever anything that Eileen and the kids needed, and I could help, then I would do it.

"I have done it and I will continue to do that until the day I die.

"I speak to Eileen regularly and she needs to know she is not alone.

"She has a wonderful family around her but she needs to know that we at the club are behind her.

"Phil would have wanted his team-mates and friends to look after his family.

"I know for a fact that if the shoe was on the other foot, he would do the same for me.

"That's just the way he was; he would certainly have been there for my family and friends."

Quinn, who has been involved in several off-field incidents this year, including having his jaw broken on a night out and being found guilty of an assault charge, also revealed Eileen O'Donnell has reciprocated with help in his times of need.

He said: "Whatever has happened to me, one person who has always phoned me to make sure that I'm all right and it's Eileen O'Donnell.

"She has sent cards, gifts and flowers.

"Hopefully, one day I will speak about what has happened to me and the truth will come out but, regardless of what happened, Eileen would have been in my corner anyway."

Quinn passed on a statement from O'Donnell's widow who admits she is still coming to terms with her loss.

The statement read: "Although I'm not strong enough to speak (about Phil's death) myself, I really want to say that I'm so very aware of the huge impact it had on so many.

"It is a year on and it still feels as raw as it did then.

"I just want to let everyone know that my children and me are forever grateful for all the support that has been given by family and friends and by the Scottish people in general.

"I'm very touched by the level of compassion shown to us throughout this most difficult time.

"Phil lives on in our children and I am very lucky to have them every day."

Quinn said: "She is having as hard a time now, as she was last year when it happened.

"She is thanking other people when she has been the bravest. That sums up Eileen."

coach gets a lot of bad press,

nice to see him doing something positive and helpful

Fair play to the guy, but it would have been nicer if he hadn't felt the need to talk the papers about it at all. Or, if he really felt the need, not to go down the "Hopefully, one day I will speak about what has happened to me and the truth will come out" path.

Maybe I'm just being a bit "Bah, humbug" about it though, because I haven't finished work yet.

I concur with whats being said and I'd like to add one more thing............. Give him back the armband! he played better with it and so did the team! B)

Coach has had a bad year and a large measure of bad luck but maybe hasn't helped his own cause at times. However he's paid the price and its time to move on and look forward to 2009. He can and will play a lot better in his proper position at right back. He was also badly handled by Mark McGhee in the summer.

I agree we should restore the captaincy to him.

Go on Paul!

Good on Quinn for this. Comes across as a sound guy really.

Also I think if Craigan isn't playing Quinn should get a whack at Captain. He did play better as captain and is a lot more vocal than Lasley, which in my opinion you need in a captain. Otherwise there just a bloke in an armband.

EDIT: In the sun today too click

A lot has been said about Paul Quinn on here and in the press - loads and loads of it totally and completely inaccurate and unfair.

In response to "weeyin" above - Paul "didn't feel the need" to talk the press about it... I asked him too. The papers were always going to cover the anniversary of Phil's death and given Paul was so close to him and his family, then I figured he'd be the best person to speak on behalf of Motherwell FC, Eileen O'Donnell and himself, most definitely.

He spent nearly an hour-and-a-half going round every single media representative that turned up for the press conference - having to answer the same extremely difficult questions about Phil time and time again - and he handled it unbelievably well. As Andy Devlin said in the Sun - he spoke with maturity, dignity and compassion in what was a very difficult situation.

I've always had a ton of respect for Paul Quinn, despite all the unfair press he received, and that level went up a lot after Tuesday.

I'm sure Phil woulda been proud, if not slightly embarrassed by it all!

'Flow

P.S Well done to Hugh MacDonald in The Herald as their article (and every major paper covered the conference) was, for me, the best piece written about it.

Coach has had some bad press and I'm sure he'd be the first to admit he's no aangel, howver this says to me that Paul Quinn has grown uo and also has shown that the spirit of Phil O'Donnell ives on at Motherwell Football Club.

I agree he should be given back the captaincy even if only until crags is back, personaly thought should never have been stripped of it in the first place.

Thanks flow for providng an insight to the press conference , bah humbug to the cynics and sceptics

To all at MFC players, management ,staff and fans Merry Christmas and best wishes for 2009.

In response to "weeyin" above - Paul "didn't feel the need" to talk the press about it... I asked him too.

I don't think weeyin was criticising Coach for talking about it to the press, just his one comment that "hopefully, one day I will speak about what has happened to me and the truth will come out", as if there was some mad consipiracy theory floating around that we were all desperate to hear about... and even if there was, that didn't really seem like the time to mention it anyway.