Best Age To Start Taking The Kids To Games

TvTotherwell

Every kid is different but my general overview would be this. Kids these days can't sit still and observe anything.

They are used to Playstations and computers and interacting with their entertainment and being actively involved somehow.

In my experience 'traditional' entertainments, things like cinema, TV, pantomimes or going to watch a football game, most kids just aren't interested these days.

I think its going to be a real problem in terms of encouraging a new generation of fans.

Every kid is different but my general overview would be this. Kids these days can't sit still and observe anything.

They are used to Playstations and computers and interacting with their entertainment and being actively involved somehow.

In my experience 'traditional' entertainments, things like cinema, TV, pantomimes or going to watch a football game, most kids just aren't interested these days.

I think its going to be a real problem in terms of encouraging a new generation of fans.

sweeping statement that!!

I've managed it and the wee man sits through 90minutes (of pure pish sometimes) without a problem. He'll even quite happily watch a full game on TV with me, although he did ask for the Scotland v Norway game to get switched over :( .

We took our daughter to her first game as a treat for her 4th Birthday in September 2003 and 6 years later she is a die hard 'Well fan. We decided to take our son along 4 months later when he was only 15 months old as he often cried as we were leaving without him. We sit in the East Stand at the end of the aisle and up until Skippy Sunday he hadnt missed a home match and had even been to a few away games. The people who sit around us have always been great with the kids and are amazed at how well they can sit through the match. We make sure we have plenty juice, crisps and paper and pens to keep them happy, especially on a boring 0-0 game.

My wee boy is 5 in October, and has been going semi-regularly since the week before his 2nd birthday, a 5-0 romp over Killie in teh Malpish season. He's been to about 20/25 games over the 3 years and he is totally hooked on all things MFC and watches the whole game without a problem, I've even took him to the odd away game and he's been a mascot at home. So it really depends on the kid. We sit in the East Stand and always sit at the end of the row, so that we dont irritate anybody as he sometimes has to sit on my knee.

He's unbeaten in the league but has seen us beaten by Dundee in the cup :wacko: and Llanelli and Steaua in the Europa.

As I say he's totally hooked on MFC, even to the extent that he was nearly greeting after I suggested (in jest) that he should support somebody else after we got beat off Llanelli. Now to get cracking on his wee brother.

The kids are the future of our club, so we need to make sure they take the 'correct' path from an early age.

Do you want to stop taking him to games vs Killie? You forgot to mention that you get his maw to drop him off at the pub at 2.45pm. :lol:

I took my wee boy to the Llanelli game in Wales. He was only 7 months old at the time but seemed to love the noise and singing on the walk to the stadium. We were allowed into the disabled section and were treated extremelly well. (Thanks to the Well fan who gave my girlfriend a ticket outside the stadium and refused to take any money for it!)

Think i'll wait til he's old enough to make up his own mind if he wants to go to fir park. As long as he doesn't end up supporting our local team (Ayr Utd)

i took my son to fp when he was 2 years old he wanted to go so we went he got a drink and something to eat and watched the game until he finished his grub then said thats me finished can we go home :lol: he then got tired and then sat on my knee and fell asleep so think he was just to young but when he was 3 he loved it was shouting come on the well and since then has been hooked he's now 12 with a season ticket and loves it :lol:

The first match our oldest son was taken to was Motherwell-v-Rangers, about 19 years ago. He was three, and according to my husband, "gret" all the way through the first half, and was brought home sharpish... Our youngest daughter's first game was when she was eight, Well won one-nil(she can't remember who played...she'll be released frrom the stocks later), and she is a true fan. The bond she and her Dad have at the games is truly magical.

Best send them off to the country all together, wrap them in cotton wool and make sure they have their ear plugs and blindfolds.

Got to be honest...when I realised my kids were going to be exposed to language and attitudes that I didn't neccesarily share, I had reservations about them going to football matches, but as has been stated, schools are excellent preparation for life!!! :lol:

I started with my wee girl when she was about 5/6. Made sure it was a game with goals if you can predict such a thing. Well - Dundee Utd 3-2 or 4-3, she loved it and was instantly hooked. My other lad was about 12, 5-0 versus Killie, again hooked and the other one well he was about 5 too, cannae remember his first game but he turned his coat and went to Accies cause his Papa got him a season ticket. Ah the joys. 2 out of 3 is not bad and they love the roller coaster that is the Well and not an old scum supporter between them.